Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Digital Camera

Hi People,

I would like to buy a basic digital camera. I thought I could buy an Exilim for under 20,000 yen, but most are advertised for 30,000 yen and over. I don't want to spend mega-yen. Any suggestions?

Cheers,

Deets

Originally posted by Deets512
    Hi People,

I would like to buy a basic digital camera. I thought I could buy an Exilim for under 20,000 yen, but most are advertised for 30,000 yen and over. I don't want to spend mega-yen. Any suggestions?

Cheers,

Deets
    With Sony's new line (P200, W5, etc..) coming out, you might be able to get some pretty nice high end cameras cheap. Last month Bic Camera was selling W1s (5 megapixel, 3x zoom, low purple fringing) for 29.800 -- very cheap for the camera's capabilities. That deals seems to have ended, but April 1st the P200 comes out in Japan (7.2 Megapixel, like the P150 but smaller - already out in the US for $100 less than the P150 was previously selling at) and is set to drive down the prices of all the cyber-shot cameras. In preparation for its release, however, Bic Camera has actually INCREASED the price of the P150 -- presumably before public awareness of the coming price drop increases. I confronted a Bic sales guy over the policy today, to which he sheepishly grinned and said, "Well, what can you do? The prices go up, the prices come down, the prices go up again..." I told him I'd wait for April.

In other lines, the Fujifilm Finepix 810F is fantastic if you look at it in terms of resolution/price, but it suffers from serious purlple fringing (e.g., around the leaves of trees that are backlit by bright skies) so I passed on it. The Nikon Coolpix cameras look really nice for snapshots to me, but if you get one of them I'd recommend going for a cheap Coolpix 4200 (4 megapixel) -- all the reviews I've read of the 5200/5600/5900 series say that the real resolution is actually worse than the 4200 because Nikon overdid it on their noise reduction algorithms. The 4200 is crazy cheap if you can still find it and I was impressed by photos I saw taken by it. Great for macro shots, too -- can take pictures of objects down to 4 cm away.

Comment

Thank you very much for such a detailed response, autloc.

Regards,

Deets

Comment

Working...
      X