Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where can I buy a hanko in Osaka

Hello Everyone,

I was told that I need a hanko to open a bank account in Japan as well as for contracts. I know there are different sizes of hankos. Do I need a separate hanko for bank accounts and contracts. Where is the best/cheapest place to buy a hanko in Osaka? I have looked at a few at Hankyu Dept.

Any advice would help.

Thanks.

Do you need a custom hanko, because you're using a gaijin name? You can get most normal names on 100 yen shop hankos, but I don't think that would work for you.

What type of bank account/contracts are you talking about? I'm in Osaka, opened a bank account at SMBC w/o a hanko. Contracted cell, cable internet, and other things without a hanko. Lived here for 8 months now, and no one has even expected me to have a hanko. Who told you you needed one? As a gaijin I don't think you do, unless you need it for your company/work.

Comment

this might sound like i am stating the obvious but withing walking distance of most banks is a hanko shop. on the shop sign "hanko" is written in hiragana - はんこ。  just tell them your name and how to write it in katakana and they will produce one for you within an hour.

Comment

Hanko Shopping

Hey Everyone,

I just read some information on an internet site that I would need one to open a bank account. Thank you everyone for giving me the real deal on banks.

Actually, I will need one for a contract that I will be signing for a school that I will be working for. I know how to write my name in katagana, but I was also given a kanji version of my name, which I think looks beautiful. Would I be alright to go with the kanji version?

Okay. I will look near banks. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Manuel
          Hey Everyone,

I just read some information on an internet site that I would need one to open a bank account. Thank you everyone for giving me the real deal on banks.

Actually, I will need one for a contract that I will be signing for a school that I will be working for. I know how to write my name in katagana, but I was also given a kanji version of my name, which I think looks beautiful. Would I be alright to go with the kanji version?

Okay. I will look near banks. Thanks.
          Yes, it would be fine to go with the kanzi version. And you can get a hanko if you want one, it might make things easier, and if the school you will be working for requires one, then you might as well get it. At the bank though, don't take out your hanko or let them know you have one until they ask you to sign somewhere, just to see if they ask you for a hanko, or assume you don't have one and just say sign. Seeing that your a gaijin, they'll probably just give you a pen and say sign. Then you can whip out your hanko and be cool.

Comment

Unless they changed the laws again, you don't need a hanko to open a bank account: most major banks allow you to sign as a foreigner. In fact, I don't really think you need one for anything in Japan.

Plus, kanji hanko are nice (I have one my girlfriend carved for me - making your own is also an option!), but you can't use them by law in banks or for anything official unless you have officially changed your name (on your passport, gaijin card etc) to that kanji name. The reason is that you should register your hanko and receive a hanko registration card (in Kanto this a plastic magnetic one like a cash card) to make your hanko official.

Actually you don't have to register (though registration is inexpensive: just processing cost) again unless they've changed the laws, but either way, if you are asked for proof of who you are and your hanko doesn't match the surname on your passport, you will not be allowed to use the hanko for a bank account or contract. And, if you have a kanji hanko, they'll almost certainly ask for ID.

As to where you can get one, just about anywhere is the answer! Many department stores, stationers and official hanko shops abound, and if you can't find one you can ask at the koban or the bank.

Comment

Working...
            X