X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Foreign food in OSAKA city

Anyone recommend a foreign food shop (the one in yodobashi camera in umeda has now changed to domestic stuff), low price not really important, just odds & ends needed.
    Somewhere in namba would be ideal.

in particular I need vegemite, and decent muesli.

How is the meidi ya in kobe?
    The meidi ya in Nagoya is vv good.
    (I am aware of FBC.)

Originally posted by japanscot
    Anyone recommend a foreign food shop (the one in yodobashi camera in umeda has now changed to domestic stuff), low price not really important, just odds & ends needed.
    Somewhere in namba would be ideal.

in particular I need vegemite, and decent muesli.

How is the meidi ya in kobe?
    The meidi ya in Nagoya is vv good.
    (I am aware of FBC.)
    Sometimes i have bought Muesli at the supermarket next to the Hankyu ticket machines in Umeda (is that the one you mean?).

Hankyu department store basement section also carried foreign food. What about Foreign Buyers club?

Comment

Yamaya

There is an import food shop in the OCAT shopping mall in Namba. It's called Yamaya (on the 4th floor). They've got decent muslei...not sure about the vegemite :-). and good wine!

Comment

take a short ride to Amagasaki and go to Costco.... nothing beats their prices, except for meat.... you need to go to the Brazilian shop in Fukaehama

Comment

A bit of a ride but there also is a Meidi-Ya in Kyoto. Where you can get what you want and more.

Comment

Originally posted by eku
            take a short ride to Amagasaki and go to Costco....
            Ahhhh... COSTCO... I miss shopping there. They don't have giant size everything there like they do back home, do they?

Comment

Also deserately seeking vegemite in Osaka city.
              Apparently a lot of import food shops in Osaka don`t import it anymore because it contains GM ingredients?? Or so I have been led to believe.

Any ideas???

Comment

the only place i have seen vegemite in japan is at meidi ya. the osaka shop is now closed. here is the store listing (sorry japanese only) http://www.meidi-ya-store.com/store_guide/index.html

i guess i will have to go to kobe for my next jar of vegemite.

speaking of vegemite (lord of the toast), my jar expired in november. i am still eating it - do you think that is bad? it still tastes the same to me.

Comment

another food product we shouldnt eat?

after reading that vegemite contains GMOs i did a quick google. according to GFA (genetic food alert) Kraft responded that it May contain some....I will have to consider this for awhile (atleast until the current expired jar makes me sick) before i decide whether to ban it.

on a good note: foreign buyers club has it! here is the link:

http://www.fbcusa.com/public2/

Comment

Vegemite!!

I have finally found an import shop selling vegemite in Osaka city. Exit Namba station (main exit), cross the street and take the arcade on the left. Then 20 or 30 metres on your right. Also other foreign goodies available there.

Comment

I prefer marmite to vegemite... and my current supply is expired too, but the jar is so big.... and a little goes such a long way... and I haven't gotten sick yet....
                      but I think both vegemite and marmite have so much salt... it really doesnt matter

or are we just kidding ourselves...?

Comment

Vegemite

I don't know if Carrefour has closed down yet but they have it. I believe there is a Carrefour in Amagasaki and one in Higashiosaka. Also, there is a foreign food store as mentioned above, in Hankyu station near the ticket booths. It has a red sign and I can't recall the name. It's very popular however most of the items are a bit overpriced. Other option is to get mom or dad to ship you a year supply here! Won't cost you a penny!

Comment

I wouldnt worry about the expiriation dates, there are so many additives and preservatives in Vegemite that you will be alright. The date is just for companies not to sell on or after that day. Coming from an American, how do you eat that stuff, I was in Tassie last year and tried it. Anyways, I guess it is like beer, an aquired taste.

Comment

Originally posted by Rod Munch
                            I wouldnt worry about the expiriation dates, there are so many additives and preservatives in Vegemite that you will be alright.
                            LOL

Maybe the GM ingredients are not so bad...

Comment

Originally posted by eku
                              take a short ride to Amagasaki and go to Costco.... nothing beats their prices, except for meat.... you need to go to the Brazilian shop in Fukaehama
                              Eku, got any more details on this shop in Fukaehama?

BTW, I found some wholesale supermarkets in northern Osaka area that beat Costco for quite a lot of things. Ask around for "gyomu suupaa" (wholesale supermarket). Most of what the one i go to sells is in 1kg sizes. Cheap meat, vegies, frozen stuff, grated cheese etc.

Comment

Working...
                              X