X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SLR Digital cameras

been searching the net in Japan for a good price for the Fuji finepix s3 pro digital camera and compatable lenses.

I need some good advice.

thanks

Fuji???

Why would you go with FUJI when you could get a CANON 20D? Seriously!!!

Comment

They're all the same!!!

Recently, I had to drop a few yen for a new, somewhat decent digital camera. I had a friend take me to places around Shinjuku and Tokyo, only to find out that almost all shops have the similar prices, if not identical. For sure, if you tell them that you saw the same camera for less elsewhere, as long as you can provide the name of the store, and they can verify it, they're very willing to match the lower price of the competitors.

What I realized later was that, I thought I was getting a super deal, but it wasn't. The sales said that one of their other Yodobashi Camera stores had some special sale, and it was cheaper than Yokohama's. They will lower the price more than 11,000 yen to match that, if I buy that camera that day. I did. Only 2 days later, to find that a local Fuji DPE shop inside a mall, had a sale (they call it sale, but I've never seen the price go back up for the last 3 weeks now), and that price was lower than that of Yodobashi's. All that without the hassle of the need to take 2 different trains and walk for a couple hours.

I guess if I had realize that I didn't have to go far to search for a low price, I'd have walked into that Fuji shop, write down the price, and give it to Yodobashi to match. End of research.

Anyway, I suggest just give your self an hour or two, to walk to couple different shops just to be sure, write down the lowest price, and I'm sure you won't be off the lowest price by much.

One suggestion, though. It seems that most shops have some kind of Point Card system, where you basically get 8 to 20% back in a point card, available to redeem for later purchases. This varies store to store. While the Fuji DPE shop did have a lower price to start with, they didn't offer a rebate/point card. Yodobashi did. Plus you can earn points on all different products you buy for your photography needs. Later, I was able to go back and spent some 10,000 yen rebate earned from my purchases (I bought more than just Nikon D70s Kit, but used my credit card to pay, which they would only give me 8%, vs. 10% if I had paid cash).

Yup, that's about it. Do your research, dive in, and buy that damn camera you always wanted, so you can start shooting. Let's just hope that next week they don't come out with a replacement model and drop the price of your camera by more than half.
      Last edited by ShutterbugX; 2005-08-22, 08:34 PM.

Comment

Point cards the way to go...

Yesterday I had to buy a camcorder, well it wasn't necessary but I wanted one for our trip to Australia. So the first stop was Bic Camera, and I checked the prices on the ones they had, as well as the "overseas" models. Well, the overseas models cost about 20,000 yen more and you didn't get any points on them. So I went to that one stop shopping place for electronics; Akihabara.

Funny thing, prices were all over the place, in some cases a store was selling the same camcorder for 10,000 yen more then the store next to them. I also checked the "overseas" models but found the prices to be too high.

I finally wound up going back to Bic Camera and picking a Japanese model there. The price was similar to what they were selling for in Akihabara, it was multilingual by default, and I was able to find the English instructions on the internet.

Plus I got 15% Bic points which brings my total up to about 30,000 yen.

Comment

English Manuals

Originally posted by Kumachan
          I finally wound up going back to Bic Camera and picking a Japanese model there. The price was similar to what they were selling for in Akihabara, it was multilingual by default, and I was able to find the English instructions on the internet.
          Yeah, my Nikon camera was also multi-lingual, came with a Japanese instruction manual, too. When I asked for an English one, they went to the back room, came back with an English version for me, right on the spot.

I was also told by another store that Nikon will exchange Japanese manuals for English ones at their Shinjuku Service Center. Since I got what I needed, I didn't find out if that was true.

Comment

Originally posted by ShutterbugX
            Yeah, my Nikon camera was also multi-lingual, came with a Japanese instruction manual, too. When I asked for an English one, they went to the back room, came back with an English version for me, right on the spot.

I was also told by another store that Nikon will exchange Japanese manuals for English ones at their Shinjuku Service Center. true.
            Yeah they do the school I goto (an international school) got a camera and they got an English manual... but Canon 20D is great... (or a NIKON D70

Comment

Photography School?!??

Originally posted by andrew319
              Yeah they do the school I goto (an international school)
              Andrew, are you going to school for photography? I'm just wondering how Japanese photography schools are..., if you are.

Comment

Pockyman, if you don't already know about the Kakaku website then it is worth knowing about. See: http://www.kakaku.com/
                The cheapest price there at the moment for the Fuji S3Pro is Yen 202900 and that is from Royal Alppliance near the Suehirotyo Station on the Ginza line in Akihabara the street is Kuramaebashi St.
                Kakaku is in Japanese but it can be fantastic for some lines, they have an amazing data base.
                I bought a Panasonic DMC-FZ20 on my last trip to Tokyo and found I don't need a heavy SLR as the FZ-20 is a seriously good camera with a Leica designed lens that will blow you away.
                Best of luck and most importantly get some good photos.

Comment

Working...
                X