X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• is it ok for gaijin to wear yukatas?

i think there are some pretty cool yukatas, but i think i would feel like a freak if i went out in one!

what do you think?

wassa yukata?

Comment

yukata desu.

summer kimono..

the department stores have some really cool ones but have a hefty price tag.

this should give you an idea..

http://www.anatol.org/images/japan/o...n-yukata-1.jpg

Comment

I wore one last night. Saw lots of other foriegners doing the same. It was lots of fun. Just make sure you have a J-girlfriend you know how to do it up right.

Word of warning though, drink lots of beer cause you never want to crack a semi in a yakata. Embrassing .

Feels a little wierd at first but if you're going to a festival ( I assume you are) lots of other dudes are wearing them too so you can relax.

ps. yukata is a kind of summer kimono worn to summer festivals.

Comment

oh, i suspect it would look good with a towel on the head.

Comment

haha

i guess i am not sure when i would wear it. i imagine i would have to have three beers before putting it on ;-)

marui has some really cool ones though.

imagine isetan and takashimaya do as well.

Comment

oh yeah...

what do you do just wear boxers underneath one?

that could be embarrassing if you got real drunk and had a yukata breakdown. or possibly a lot of fun? hahaha

yeah i debating buying one. i have always wanted one, but it is hard to get myself to spend the money. and of course i like the expensive ones.

Comment

Originally posted by in.between
                what do you do just wear boxers underneath one?

that could be embarrassing if you got real drunk and had a yukata breakdown. or possibly a lot of fun? hahaha

yeah i debating buying one. i have always wanted one, but it is hard to get myself to spend the money. and of course i like the expensive ones.
                Thats what I was really paranoid about but it never happened cause my girlfriend did such a good job dioing it up. Boxers is all I wore underneath, it was too hot for anything else.

Mine was a birthday present from my girlfriend (I suspect to force me to go to summer festivals) so I kinda had to wear it and I dont know were it was from. It looks pretty cool though but I imagine even cooler with a katana in hand.....

Comment

It's funny, I don't own a yukata which is odd because my Mother-in-law makes them and kimono for a living. And while I never asked her to make one, she's already made me two formal kimono (what can I say, she loves me to death).

The only native Japanese thing I do wear is, and I have no idea what the actual name is, one of those two piece sets with the shorts and short sleeves. Whenever my wife and I go to a matsuri, or to see hanabi she puts on her yukata, and I wear that shorts thing.

Comment

Gotta say I always cringe a bit when I see a western woman wearing kimono/yukata. I`ve not quite worked out why I cringe, but I think J women just look beautiful in them, and western women just don`t. I have been railroaded into wearing one twice in public and I was really embarrassed, I`d rather see other people in them really, and man are those socks/shoes uncomfy... I hang mine on the wall.

Comment

Originally posted by Kumachan
                      It's funny, I don't own a yukata which is odd because my Mother-in-law makes them and kimono for a living. And while I never asked her to make one, she's already made me two formal kimono (what can I say, she loves me to death).

The only native Japanese thing I do wear is, and I have no idea what the actual name is, one of those two piece sets with the shorts and short sleeves. Whenever my wife and I go to a matsuri, or to see hanabi she puts on her yukata, and I wear that shorts thing.
                      Ok, first of all, for the love of God, don't tell kimonofreak about this , he'll never leave you alone.

I agree those two piece sets are really comfortable. It's what I change into when I get home from work. I find them more comfortable than wearing shorts, because the material is really thin, so with the wicked heat we have right now it's perfect.

Comment

Originally posted by batwoman
                        Gotta say I always cringe a bit when I see a western woman wearing kimono/yukata. I`ve not quite worked out why I cringe, but I think J women just look beautiful in them, and western women just don`t. I have been railroaded into wearing one twice in public and I was really embarrassed, I`d rather see other people in them really, and man are those socks/shoes uncomfy... I hang mine on the wall.

The thing is that western women tend to take big steps when they walk, were Japanese women take little steps. This was explained to me once by an expert. Also, Japanese women are initiated into wearing kimonos since just about birth and so they are taught how to walk in them, western women on average do not.

Comment

Aha, yes that could be part of it. We tend to be a bit more bulky too I think and also our hair style/colour never seems to be quite right. But I hadn`t though about the walking aspect. Interesting...

Comment

Originally posted by Blues
                            The thing is that western women tend to take big steps when they walk, were Japanese women take little steps. This was explained to me once by an expert. Also, Japanese women are initiated into wearing kimonos since just about birth and so they are taught how to walk in them, western women on average do not.
                            I agree that most Western women should NEVER wear kimonos or yukatas. But the reasons above, IMO, are just risible. Who was this "expert," Blues? It's just a matter of build. Japanese women are (generally) straight up and down. Western women are (generally) hourglass-shaped. The ideal kimono / yukata look is like a slender column. A woman with T&A can't pull that off. There are good biological reasons that traditional Asian costumes for women tend to be waistless, while the traditional European costumes all emphasized the waist. Use what you've got... anyway, that's why I will be going to the summer festivals in jeans and a midriff t-shirt

Men, by contrast, are more or less straight up and down all over the world. Unless they're overweight.

Comment

interesting

that is interesting about gaijin women wearing yukata. i dont think i have ever seen one wearing a yukata.

any more comments on men wearing them? i didnt see many comments on gaijin men wearing them...

Comment

Working...
                              X