Japanese Jazz

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Japanese Jazz

Does anyone know anything about the free jazz/improvised scene here in Japan? Can you recommend any artists, or know of any who tour the provincial capitals? Im looking for some exciting gigs but everything seems to be in Kanji on the web.

Originally posted by SunRa
    Does anyone know anything about the free jazz/improvised scene here in Japan? Can you recommend any artists, or know of any who tour the provincial capitals? Im looking for some exciting gigs but everything seems to be in Kanji on the web.

What do you expect? This is Japan.

Do you want to play or hear jazz? There are lots of live houses etc but the most famous place for big acts is Blue Note in Tokyo and Osaka. PS there are no provinces in Japan, only prefectures and there is usually one urban city in each one. except for the 'boondocks'.

Comment

Originally posted by SunRa
      There is not a lot of free jazz or even avante garde here. There are jazz clubs in every city--but you'll hear mostly standards. That said, there are some ____ing great acts here that would be playing in much better clubs back home but here, they get smaller venues. Most Japanse Jazz fans would never even give Ornette Coleman a listen here.

You might try the Fuji Jazz fest but once again pretty standard stuff. Although, that said, when I was watching Chick Corea and Herbie Han____ live with the sun setting behind Mt. Fuji in the background, it really doesn't get any better than that.

Where are you btw?

Comment

Thanks Douglas. Can you put a name to any of these great acts?

Comment

Free Jazz Website

I finally answered my own question. If anyone is interested in free jazz/improvised music here in Japan you should check out this site. Its in English and includes lists of forthcoming concerts. Cheers.

http://www.japanimprov.com/index.html

Comment

wow...thanks to you Sun Ra. If you are near Shizuoka, there is a great new jazz club here that has some good acts. I just the pianist from Roy Hargreaves Trio two months ago. Anyway, I'll look up the site and post it. Cheers,

Comment

Working...
            X