X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suits?

Can anyone recommend somewhere in the Tokyo area where I can find some decent, relatively inexpensive business suits? I am a 42 tall and am looking in the 50,000 yen range per suit, but would probably be willing to pay more if the product is good. Thanks.

FDB

Re: Suits?

Suits can be quite straightforwardly bought at 'clothes shops'.

Similarly, it's...

Butchers - for meat.
    Barbers - for haircuts.
    Bars - for beer.

Comment

Try Aoki men's plaza - they even have a section for outsize gentleman, i.e. gaijin and basketball playing Japanese. You don't even need to visit Tokyo as they have branches all over Japan.

If you want bespoke clothing, better double your budget.
      Or take a trip to Bangkok - some good cheap tailors there.

Finally, Landsend' US have excellent mail order service, virtual mannequin, and on-line ordering, 90% of my family's clothing comes that way. But don't use Landsend Japan - the sizes/ proportions are not so good.

TH

Comment

If you are looking to spend that much it would be better for you to go to Korea for a weekend (30,000) and get a suit for 20,000. Thats 20,000 yen for a tailor made suit. You then would have money left over to get atleast 2 or 3 tailor made shirts too. (at about 2,000 yen a pop)

I have a name of a great place that happened to be feature in Forbes Magazine. Let me know if you are interested.

Comment

Dear TH and Big Al - thank you for your help. I will check out Aoki's Men's Plaza. I actually lived in Korea for a year but never had a suit made there, though I know the quality of the tailored clothes is excellent (better than the clothes I had made in Thailand which I wasn't too impressed with, frankly - therein lies the value of a recommendation, I suppose). Big Al, I am interested in the name of anywhere you can recommend, especially if I can use it as an excuse to return to Seoul.

Osakan - I suspect you are one of the breed of forum participants whose sole purpose in life is to pounce on any post and make sarcastic comments. I can't imagine how you feel this is useful, but if it brings you pleasure then, by all means, continue to waste everyone's time. However, since it seems obvious you don't understand the words "recommend" (I wanted to save some time by taking advantage of someone else's experience) and "42 tall" (a size that is not common in most Japanese clothing stores) I will cut you some slack and just assume that you're not very bright.

Comment

Now, I am not one to get into an argument , but give Osakan a break. I mean he is totally right. What do you do in your spare time and weekends? I mean, even if you don't even like shopping, you can't help but walk by a clothing store. They are everywhere. Just walk in, see if they have your size and walk out. No drama. He is not wasting anyone's time. I enjoy the banter especially when people ask less than important questions. You obviously did not come here prepared and are too nervous to go on your own little shopping excursion. I am the same size as you and would enjoy helping you out if you need a hand.

Have fun shopping. jack

Comment

Thank you for the support, Jack.

FDB - yes, I was being facetious, but not because I want to give anyone a hard time; rather, and as Jack surmised, because you ought really to be getting out and finding these things out for yourself. An adult should have no problems buying a suit in Tokyo, such minor difficulties as you might encounter are a healthy part of the learning experience. Japan will be daunting only for as long as you allow yourself to be daunted by it.

No, it's certainly not my "sole purpose in life" to be sarcastic. Feel free to run a search on my username, you might be surprised at how ready I've proved to give advice (including some to you, I think, 'Moving to Okayama').

Anyway, I don't want to fight. I hope you find a nice suit.

Comment

I totally agree an adult should have no problem buying a suit in Tokyo - that is, of course, if he lives in Tokyo. I live in Hiroshima Ken in a city of about 25,000 people. My entire life for the last three years has been in Japanese - my office, my shopping, my neighbours, my friends. There is nothing daunting about buying a suit, though thanks a lot for the great life advice about coming prepared and being a little nervous.

I have never lived in Tokyo, but I can tell you that where I live, buying a suit is not a matter of just walking into a clothing store. Off the rack clothing in my size just does not exist. I'm 6'4" and even in Hiroshima City I would have to get something tailored - I have tried, beleive me. I am moving to Tokyo next month and, since my old ones are getting on a bit, I need some new suits for interviews almost as soon as I arrive. Since I don't have time to do much shopping around, I thought I would ask if anybody might be able to recommend somewhere I could get a good deal.

Did I need to put all this as a foreword to my question? Is this such an unusual question? Have you never asked someone in your own home country if they know a nice clothing shop? Is it so difficult to write -"Gee, I bought a suit at this place last year, not too expensive and they threw in cuffs for free." Isn't that what this forum is for?

Osakan - I'm sure you think you are a very helpful person, but you can't assume to know everything about a person when they post two lines on a forum. So lacking that knowledge, maybe you should do one of two things: 1) ignore the post, or 2) give the person the benefit of the doubt and answer the question. Where do you buy your suits?

Comment

FDB - earlier in the thread you "cut [me] some slack". I'm inclined to wonder: can you spare it? I mean, and for heaven's sake, I made a joke. Perhaps it was a bad one but you're unusually shrill for such a big chap.

Take it easy, please. Your own advice, "1) ignore the post" is as easily taken as prescribed.

Have a good, and relaxing, weekend.

Osakan

Comment

Oh dear, more examples of humour on forums not being appreciated.

Without the smile, pronunciation, body language and delivery, jokes just do not go down well. Add that to cultural, social, language, and background misunderstandings, it's a wonder anyone bothers after the results.

But laughter makes the world go round, or at least a brighter place, along with gravity, centripetal forces and a few other arcane physical phenomena.

It's a beautiful, hot, sunny day in downtown Kanagawa, birds are singing, and the grass needs cutting.

Have a nice weekend folks.

TH

Comment

Osakan:
                      I will admit I overreacted to the initial post since it seemed you were being purposely obtuse in misinterpreting my question. I realize now you honestly thought I was being an idiot and needed someone to hold my hand while doing my shopping. My current state of mind may have something to do with it because normally, I would have just brushed it off.

I have looked at your past posts as you invited me to do and have seen that you are genuinely trying to give good advice (though I'm not sure what you meant when you said you've given me advice before?) It was a bad joke at a bad time, but you couldn't have know that.

I regret that this whole thing has deteriorated into bickering and I have no resentment against you. On the same note, I'll take your last post as an apology of sorts and leave it at that. Peace.

FDB

Comment

Thank you.

I don't know what you mean by your present state of mind, but I guess that upping-sticks and moving after three years of having lived in one place, and making such a dramatic change as moving from a small town to Tokyo, must be pretty stressful. Good luck with it.

Comment

FDB -
                          learn to take a joke, bro.

Comment

Without prejudice or even a hint of maliciousness I would like to make the following off-topic points in response to a comment made by TH.

There is nothing arcane about the centripetal force; it is both highly defined mathematially and has sound physical manifestations.

However, the same cannot be said for gravity, so TH is half correct. Although geniously defined mathematically by Einstein, the origins of this weakest of forces is not well understood. Bearing in mind that every particle in the Universe attracts every other, consider what happens if one of these particles is hypothetically removed. The fact that this particle no longer exists will have an effect on every other particle in the Universe, and this effect will be felt instantaneously. This is the problem. An instantaneous commuication of information (the fact that the particle no longer exists) throughout the Universe requires that the information travels faster the velocity of light, but this violates the second postulate of Einstein`s Special Relativity, namely that the velocity of light is the same in all frames of reference and can never be exceeded.

Aside from this paradox is the monumental problem of mathematically unifying gravity with the other three forces, but this is another story. If we could achieve this then a complete description and understanding of the Universe would be possible, and we would truly know the mind of God.

Mark

Comment

If we knew the mind of God would we know where He buys His suits?

Comment

Working...
                              X