Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good bookstore

Hi,

I was wondering if there are any bookstores in japan that carries foreign books from the US. Novels, magazines?!?!?

-Michael Chang

Re: Good bookstore

Of course. Maruzen, Kinokuniya, Yurindo, Yaohan, Yaesu in most major cities and Amazon.Co.Jp

But suggest you buy a book now about Japan now and start reading about the place you will going to - even a simple Lonely Planet Guide would be more help to you.

TH

Comment

Michael, if you end up in or around Tokyo, you also might want to check out Good Day Books in Ebisu. They sell mostly used books, and will buy your used books. They have a website:
      http://japan.co.jp/~goodday/index.html

TH mentioned Amazon.co.jp in her message. You will find it advantageous to order from them instead of Amazon.com, both on price and shipping (usually free for English language books). Their site is only in Japanese, but they carry all of the English language books that the regular Amazon stocks.

Relatively inexpensive magazines can be found in Tower Records in Shibuya (Tokyo), and possibly other large Tower outlets. It's usually cheaper to get a subscription to a magazine from abroad rather than purchase single copies in Japan.
      Hiyodori

Comment

Michael,

I've seen your other posts and I have to ask why you want to come to Japan. You are trying very hard to create a litlle version of America even before you arrive. Do you intend to even try to see, feel, and taste Japan? What are you expecting? Japan is not an exotic destination and is a thorughly developed 1st world (for lack of a better term) nation. You can get anything you need or want, as even a small amount of research will tell you.

Do yourself a favor and don't come here. You will be a burden to everyone around you and will end up with serious culture shock and a bitter experience.

Comment

Hi there again,

I was just curious if japan has those things. Thats all. If not, then fine. If yes, okay. I am not trying to create a small USA when i get to japan. Personally, i wanted to see if there are any way I may learn to speak some japanese while i am there. Well, you believe in what you want.

Comment

Michael,

not to get on your case at all but some constructive advice from a "Lifer" in Japan.

If you learn Japanese you will be able to move out the eikaiwa's and NOVAs of this world where all you meet are other foreigners and japanese who speak English. You will be able to understand the humor, the jokes on TV and what makes the local people tick. I think what makes many foreigners, especially newbies come unstuck here is the social isolation, the loneliness at not being able to make themselves understood and they either latch on some other foreigner, ex-pat community or exist in a 'ghetto' or equally miserable foreigners. As soon as you step off the plane you will feel like a five year old illiterate who can even read the signs for the bathroom.

For many, places like Starbucks and McDonalds and 'Foreign Buyers Club' where you can 10 lb turkeys and nachos) remind them of home. On the surface Japan looks like a western modernised country but if you scratch the underbelly you will find something vastly different.

Its nice having other English speakers etc around and to speak English with but I didnt travel 5000 miles just so i could see CNN and chill out at Starbucks. If you immerse yourself in the culture, get out of the gaijin expat cliques that exist here you will have a more enriched experience. Knowing Japanese makes it easier to understand what makes the japanese people and culture tick you can make non-English speaking friends. You cant do that with a tourist mentality (you mentioned you will take off to Taiwan if things dont pan out here- you need at least 2-3 years here to really understand the culture and language. I have found by experience that the longer you saty here the hospitality factor is inversely related- they treat you like royalty as long as they know you are short term. Set down roots, get married, buy a house and learn the language and the facades come down.

PS you will have your own reasons for coming to japan, whatever Aikokusha says. Having lived here over a decade a couple of points to note.

1. apart from the Temples and teac ceremonies and the odd festival, the landscape in Japan is incredibly ugly. the beaches have gravelly sand and are covered in concrete and their are concrete highways all over the country, which is about the same size as California.
            Japan is naturally all that pretty and there is not all that much to see, if you dont like grey buildings and asphalt.

2. You want to come as a 'tourist' but one thing that stops many people is the expense and cost of things- it costs more to fly to hokkaido than it does to hawaii, you almost need a personal loan to rent an apartment. If you come to japan even as a tourist it will take you at least a year to fund yourself into an apartment, set up a phone, pay off any loans you may have (including ones you get from your employer). You will probably break even in 6 months if you are lucky. Count on saving about $500 a month after expenses if you are lucky.
            My mother came to japan in Apri last year l for 4 days and went through about 80,000 yen ($US600) in four days. the train fare to Hiroshima was $150 one way.

Comment

search the net for good book stores in Tokyo..........

Comment

Good grief people, the guy was only asking a simple question!

English language books in tokyo: KInokuniya Books, Shinjuku. Seventh floor (I think) sells foreign books and mags. Take the south or new south exit from Shinjuku stn (jr).

Tower records, Shibuya, Hachiko exit from Shibuya stn.

National Azabu supermarket, second floor has a book/magazine shop. (in Hiroo).

The others have been mentioned, and directions can be found in Lonely Planet, Rough Guide, Japan for kids. Books and mags are expensive, so subscriptions to mags are good, and Good Day Books in Ebisu is a wallet saver. Some department stores, such as Parco, have english language books in their book departments.

Personally, I don't see the crime in wanting to read a book in your own language while you live here.
                Cheers,
                Melissa

Comment

Working...
                X