X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• gap stores in osaka?

any one know the location of any gap stores in osaka? i was in tokyo last xmas and they were everywhere, so i'm hoping osaka might be the same??

Re: gap stores in osaka?

Hi,

The GAP is in both Umeda and and Shinsaibashi.

The Umeda store is on the 2nd floor of the 'HEP-5' building near Hankyu-Umeda station. The building has an enormous red Ferris-wheel on the top of it, so it's easy enough to spot. Near any young Japanese in Umeda will know the building anyway, so as much as you need do is ask.

The (slightly larger?) Shinsaibashi store is about 100 meters East of the Midosuji/Nagahori-dori crossroads, next to Tokyu-Hands. Walk the same distance West and you're at J-crew. Go the same distance North and you'll arrive at the soon-to-be opened Bennetton Megastore. If your finances are going South, then so should you be...Uniqlo is on the 7th floor of the OPA building.

And that's the chinos sorted.

Comment

good to see someone else thinks along the same track! thansk heaps for that. I'll be working in (near?) Shinsaibashi so that is fantastic!

Comment

Hello, again.

Since what we have here is an uncontroversial question incontestably answered it is likely that there will be no further posts to this thread. If you want, you can use it to ask me questions specifically about orientating yourself in Osaka.

Comment

that would be good thanks, but i don't know exactly where i will be living yet. i should find out soon because i leave on jan 21. i'm quite lucky tho because i have a friend (japanese) who lives here, but his parents live in osaka, so his mum said she will help me out too. once i know where i will live i might have some more questions.

i know this will sounds really dumb, but i was reading through some posts about dating, do you find this an issue? i'm not really bothered if i meet gaijin ro japanese guys, as long as they are nice enough. a spinky rugby player wouldn't be bad tho! any thoughts?

Comment

oh yeah, i just thought of something (just read your bit above about 'that's the chinos sorted out'). do you find there are many shops that sell cool/funky clothes that actually fit? i'm not huge but i'm not a skinny 16 yr old anymore (i think i'm a 10-12 US if that helps)

Comment

Hello,

regarding your question about dating, you'll have to be more specific than, "do you find this an issue?". Perhaps you've supposed that I'm a foreign female; I'm not, I'm a foreign man. I've been with my (Japanese) girlfriend for nearly three years, so 'dating' isn't an issue for me.

Still: from what I've observed, and my observations seem borne out by what others say here and elsewhere [click on 'relationships' at the top of this page], the dating scene for foreign women can be pretty frustrating. The fact is that foreign men typically have Japanese girlfriends (a matter of statistics?) and too few Japanese men satisfy the expectations that foreign women have for a boyfriend: they live with their mums, they're 'pre-feminist' in their attitudes and expectations, and so on. As a result, many foreign women feel themselves to be rather out of the loop. I'm sorry, I don't want to too much rain on your parade, and since you've already lived in Tokyo, you've probably got a fair idea of what the score is anyway.

I think if you're a genki enough girl, and are ready to adjust your expectations (not 'down', just 'laterally') to accommodate the fact that you're living in a different culture and that the differences that exist extend into the realm of interpersonal relationships, you should be okay.

Regarding funky clothes: try looking in America Mura, on the West side of Midosuji in Shinsaibashi, or in Horie, a five minute walk further West (across Yotsubashi). I understand that finding a fit in Japan can be tough for Western women who are perfectly normal sizes in their home countries. I think the result is that many gravitate towrad the international stores, Gap, Bennetton, Eddie Bauer and so on, for the basics, and then jazz these up by combing them with funkier items brought from home.

I'm sorry that both of these answers are likely a bit unsatisfactory. As a foreign man who is slim even by Japanese standards, I'm hardly qualified to answer either of them. I'll speak to a Canadian female friend of mine, who IS pretty funky and a normal 'healthy' size, and ask her where she shops.

Comment

sorry, 'combing' should have read 'combining'.

Comment

my big apologies!!! it was just that you knew where all the shops were! (hehe, your gf must take you out lots!). (i guess it proves how scodie old men can try saying they are young girls!)

thanks anyway, pretty helpful considering you didn't think you were going to be.

i didn't live in tokyo tho - i was just visiting there and bought heaps (best sales in the world) but more because they were the only clothes that fitted.

any info from your friend will help.

Comment

All the shops I was able to direct you to are stores with women's & MEN'S sections. I do quite a bit of my clothes shopping at Bennetton and J-Crew.

Comment

i know a guy who worked for gap too, and he had heaps of great clothes too - benneton here didn't have mens stuff tho, so might be able to get some cool stuff to send back.

Comment

There is a Gap in the MyCal-Vivre Center in Ibaraki City, North Osaka. You can reach it most easily by taking the Monorail to Unobe Station. Its huge (not your typical Japanese shopping center) and you can see it from the station to walk there.

Comment

Originally posted by Osakan View Post
                          Hi,

The GAP is in both Umeda and and Shinsaibashi.

The Umeda store is on the 2nd floor of the 'HEP-5' building near Hankyu-Umeda station. The building has an enormous red Ferris-wheel on the top of it, so it's easy enough to spot. Near any young Japanese in Umeda will know the building anyway, so as much as you need do is ask.

The (slightly larger?) Shinsaibashi store is about 100 meters East of the Midosuji/Nagahori-dori crossroads, next to Tokyu-Hands. Walk the same distance West and you're at J-crew. Go the same distance North and you'll arrive at the soon-to-be opened Bennetton Megastore. If your finances are going South, then so should you be...Uniqlo is on the 7th floor of the OPA building.

And that's the chinos sorted.
                          This information is from 2002. Does anyone know if the information is still valid? ...is the Shinsaibashi store still 100 meters East of the Midosuji/Nagahori-dori crossroads?

Comment

Originally posted by pdamberg View Post
                            This information is from 2002. Does anyone know if the information is still valid? ...is the Shinsaibashi store still 100 meters East of the Midosuji/Nagahori-dori crossroads?
                            GAP = Gay Apparel.

Geezus. I like Oatmeal and crackers, but you don't see me blathering on about it.'

Be original for kriminey's sake.

Just bought me some 'O this.

http://www.bodymaker.jp/functional/BMGEAR/1DBCH
                            You won't see THAT in America, I'll say that.

Comment

Originally posted by YokohamaTommy;1275743

[URL
                              http://www.bodymaker.jp/functional/BMGEAR/1DBCH[/URL]
                              You won't see THAT in America, I'll say that.
                              Only on Halloween night, but the color will be blue and you'll have to wear a red cape with it...

Anyways, yes, the Osaka Cr@p info. is still current.

Yes, you do have to walk a full 100 m., but there are plenty of taxis around the big cross-walk.

Comment

Working...
                              X