X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Penpal gift

I'm pretty sure this doesn't fit in here but I'm not sure where else to ask and it *does* have to do with shopping...kinda...

I've got a Japanese penpal that I'm just starting to write to and I thought it'd be neat if I could send over a little gift with my letter. So what kind of gift would a young Japanese lady like? I'm not trying for a relationship type gift or anything like that - just something small to send that is classic American. grrr... I don't know how to say that right. Something I can send that identifies with America, maybe? And of course, something a young Japanese lady might like.

And I apologize ahead of time if this isn't the right place for this.

Re: Penpal gift

Well if she is into current events and knows a little history you can get her this:

http://www.internationalterrorist.com/btshirt.html

That a pretty classic American gift......

hmm....this might not be the place for politics!

Comment

KA-WA-WEEEE!!!!!

.... you can get wholesale rates if you order all 80 of these...

http://www.akpress.org/mainpage.php

Comment

I recommend a couple rolls of the popular Bin Laden toilet paper that sells so well in the USA.

Comment

I see. So it was a mistake posting here. My apologies. However, before you think we're all bad, not all of us agree with our president. Guess I'll ask elsewhere.

Comment

Laden paper is so, well, 2001
            This years top gifts here in Europe & Asia are GEORGE W. BUSH Toilet Paper and COLON POW-WELL Condoms. (lets engage safely!)

Comment

Sam,

Never mind the a#W-holes that responded to your question. There are just some people with too much time on their hands, and apparently no friends to joke around with, or shoot the sh#$, I mean breeze about politics and world affairs.

If you are going to get your friend a gift, I would stay away from anything that is too souvenir-like (mugs, pins, flags, etc.). If you are developing a good friendship, get her something that you like, so you can share your interests with her. You could get her a CD of one of your favourite groups / singers, a copy of your favourite movie, or something like that. She will appreciate that it is American because it comes from you. If you are developing a friendship, I would stick to those kinds of things - you don't want to mistakenly give her something from which she might derive the wrong meaning. Just some thoughts that I hope might help.

Good luck with the shopping. Whatever you get her she will like it, I'm sure.

- JD

PS To all of the morons, who feel this is the place to bash countries, people, try reading the Gaijinpot rules one more time, and take your political ignorance elsewhere.

Comment

Sam, sending a gift already? Wait until you have a few letters exchanged between you, and know something of each others' taste. You might be perceived as "coming on strong". Your penpal is a girl, not a boy! For the time being, home town postcards, or even a local magazine or paper could be fun, as they are quite relevant to you and where you are from. Besides which, you will eventually be here!
                th

Comment

th - I know. I just wanted an idea for something small to send. And based on JD and another gentleman's ideas, I thought I might look around at some local antique shops for something small. It would be the first letter but since there is a lag between sending and receiving, I thought it'd be neat to include a small bit of my local area. You know? Like, this is a small part of my culture. All part of the penpal idea, yeah? And maybe it's just me, but if it were reversed, I'd sure like a little nitnack from Japan that I could keep as a small reminder. But I know what you're saying and I'll bear that in mind when I look around.

JD - thanks for replying intelligently. I appreciate it.

Comment

Sam,
                    Try going for something that is a local specialty, or something that nice that represents the city or state that you live in. Nothing too too fancy, but something with mean will be nice. For example, I live in the NW (USA) and I always bring smoked salmon and other NW fare when I visit friends families in Japan.....your situation is a little different in that its a girl (versus a family or guy) so the gift will change. In the past I used to fret too much about little gifts, but now I just grab something that has some meaning and isn't cheesy.......

Comment

I go along with the postcards and perhaps a local mag or newspaper or even the menu from your favorite eatery. Any of these opens lots of avenues.

Comment

Sam,

living in Japan I notice that women seem to judge everything on only one parameter: it has to be CUTE! If it isn't cute, it is a failure. My second observation is that a lot of things that Japanese women call cute are being called childish (intended for children) by Western standards. The most popular word in the Japanese language seems to be kawai.

Comment

Working...
                        X