Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• US/Japanese compatibility

simple question perhaps:

saw a tasty pal/ntsc mutliformat VCR on sale today.

I know that they're both NTSC, but can anyone tell me if it would work without a problem if i were to take it to the states? In general, do all electrical goods bought here work alright over there?

thanks in anticipation.

Re: US/Japanese compatibility

In general no problem. Both USA and Japan are NTSC standards.

You ll sometimes see the numbers 3.58 and 4.43 written with NTSC machines - generally no need to worry. Just make sure your VCR and TV are set the same - usually auto. If you want to know the reason, read on.

This is a subject that often causes confusion, both in what it actually means and how it will affect being able to watch NTSC programs. All video signals contain what is called a chroma subcarrier . This is simply a portion of the overall signal that carries information specifically about the colour of the picture. For some unknown reason various parts of the NTSC world use different subcarrier frequencies, either 3.58MHz or 4.43MHz, so that's what the numbers refer to. PAL signals only ever have a 4.43Mhz chroma signal, so it's not normally written. There is no such thing as an NTSC 3.58 tape or an NTSC 4.43 tape. These subcarrier signals, of either frequency, are not recorded on to tape. They are generated solely by the video equipment being used and basically synchronise the signals between separate machines, eg. VCR ? TV or VCR ? VCR. So whenever you are playing or recording in NTSC you can use either version, so long as all your equipment is on the same setting. If you mismatch, eg. play a VCR set to 3.58 through a TV set to 4.43 or vice versa, then the chroma (colour) signals will not match and the resulting image will appear in black & white. For general use, the Auto setting mentioned previously will match these signals automatically to save you the worry.

Comment

So, if that last paragraph is a non-issue, and i were to unpack the machine in the states and plug it in and hook it up, will everything work hunky dory?

Comment

As long as your TV in the US is not an ancient model, should be fine. Information is just in case it comes out as black and white, or someone else plays with your machine.

Comment

Don't worry about that, the tuner auto detects the standard and subcarrier.

2 things to watch however,,,

1, make sure the tuner will cover US VHF-UHF channels (not the same as in Japan!)

2, depending on the type of power supply it may run a bit warmer than normal since a Japan machine expects 100V not 120V as in the US.

Thats 20% above spec and will not burn out the machine in my experience but be aware of that and if you want to be totally safe get a 120-100 step down transformer.

Footnote:

USA NTSC & JAPAN NTSC are not 100% the same, however the difference is not something you would notice unless you are a broadcast engineer like me.

Still, tapes and signals are compatible between the 2

CF

Comment

I once heard that in Japan both 50Hz and 60Hz is being used. Would this have any effect in using the VCR either in Japan (moving it from a 50Hz region to a 60Hz region) or in the USA?

Comment

No. Only devices have seen apply to our timers for heaters and cookers, and synchrous motors for turntables.

Comment

Working...
              X