X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You know what I can't find?

Rotating can openers, manual or electric (I prefer manual, with the twisting thing). They don't seem to exist in this country. Are they illegal or something? Anyone know where I can get one? Maybe I'm not looking hard enough...

"Trying is the first step towards failure." - H.S.

Re: You know what I can't find?

You mean just a regular can opener? They're all over the place. Try 100yen shops and lower-end department stores/grocery store chains like Seiyu, Summit, Dai-e etc.

Comment

Yeah, OK, but are you talking about the ones you "twist" open, not "puncture" open?

Everywhere I go I can only seem to find the "puncturing" kind, where you punch open these series of holes to open the can. and those are kind of a pain. I want the ones that clamp onto the can, and then you twist the knob, and the little circular blade kind of does the rest.

As I said, maybe I'm not looking hard enough...

Thanks for the info though.

YD

Comment

Tokyu Hands

Comment

Good Lord, if they are that hard to find, have someone from home mail one to you!

Comment

Yes, I'm talking about an actual can opener that clamps on and twists, not a bottle opener with a puncture thingy.
            Here, I'll give you proof that they're easy to find (scroll about halfway down the page):
            http://www.muji.com/webapp/commerce/...;cgrfnbr=68597

There are Mujis everywhere, so you shouldn't have a problem.

Comment

Thank you smallworld, Cref. I guess I really wasn't looking hard enough. Now I can enjoy canned goods with a minimum of effort.

Glenski - What's with the hostility? I've seen you give informative, thoughtful advice to people asking about English teaching or visas for the umpteenth time, but I ask about a can opener and that somehow rattles your cage? Never thought I'd be chastised for a kitchenware inquiry...

YD

"Matters of small concern should be treated seriously"

Comment

YD, relax, Glenski is not hostile at all. All that was said was "Good Lord". I had the same reaction to this question. I mean, by the time you typed this up you could have walked to the corner store and got your stupid can opener. It's just a can opener, any one will do. 99% of cans here don't use openers. I don't think I have ever used mine in over 3 years. You can have it is you want.
                I have read a lot of stupid questions here like how do I take a dump to where can I buy a suit but this is unbelieveable. How do you survive here? Maybe you should go back to Mommy. This is not a small concern, it is a concern that doesn't even register in the relm of normal thought...therefore cannot be taken seriously. So I must conclude that this is a joke...right. You just came home drunk and decided to ask a silly question to see if anyone would reply...right? Ok...good joke...I get it.

Comment

Dear J,

Well, Glenski may not be hostile, but you certainly are. You may think it's ridiculous, but for whatever reason, I have not been able to find a can opener that fits my description the last 5 or 6 times I looked for it in relatively large stores. I do agree, it is a relatively petty matter, which is why I have been able to live without one for 5 years in this country, but I just found it curious, so I decided to ask about it on an internet forum that I (mistakingly) thought was rather casual. I did not see any rule that said petty questions were not allowed here, though I'm pretty sure that calling people immature stupid drunks is slightly frowned upon.

I don't drink by the way, but I suggest you get one for yourself if a simple question on the internet drives you to be so judgemental and vindictive.

As for how I survive here, I would say pretty well, thanks for asking. I have a pretty good non-teaching job, speak decent Japanese, have lots of friend & relatives, and a promising personal relationship. I could use a bigger apartment, but I can't complain. How do you survive? You know, besides snapping at random people on internet forums?

So in conclusion, my answer to you is no, my question was not a joke, but a sincere inquiry for which I would have liked a sincere reply (thanks again to those who gave it). I would not have minded greatly if nobody ever replied to it, but if I had known that it would draw so much criticism and unsavory elements to me, I would have thought twice about posting it. Live and learn, I guess.

YD

P.S. Oh by the way J, my mother is dead. Thanks for reminding me, sunshine!

Comment

J, your post was so unneccesarily mean-spirited it actually gave me the creeps. Whenever I read a post by someone like you (and for some sad reason, there are a LOT of people like you on the internet) I always can't help but wonder if you act like that in real life. If so, I hope I never have the displeasure of meeting you.

So what do you mean he could have just gone to the corner store and bought a can opener? If by corner store you mean convenience store, then he would be out of luck- they don't sell can openers. If co‚’ner store means something else, please enlighten us.
                    And 99% of cans don't need openers? Wrong. A few kinds of canned seafood and some imported corned beef/Spam type canned meat come with a key to roll open the lid, but the vast majority of other canned foods do need to be opened with some kind of opener.

I also had a hard time finding a can opener at first, because I was looking in the wrong places, and eventually gave up and used the punch thingy on my bottle opener. After years of this, it was only after slicing my hand while opening a can this way that I actually went out and seriously looked for a real can opener.
                    Which is why I was able to answer YD's question (with something a little more specific than 'try the corner store').

There is no reason for you to be so insulting, just because the question is not a big concern to you personally. I mean, haven't we all had trouble locating things that were pretty much essential back home but don't seem to exist here?
                    I have a very long list of things I've had trouble finding, including low-fat yogurt, perogies, anti-bacterial ointment, an oil-free sunscreen, pantyliners that fit thongs, and dozens more. In many cases, it was through internet sites like this that I was able to either locate the item or learn how to do without it.

So the next time you come accross a question you regard as trivial, just ignore it please, and spare us all.

Comment

Working...
                    X