• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Your favorite Tsukemono??

I'm a kimchee hound...

...what about you people??

What is your favorite tsukemono??

Re: Your favorite Tsukemono??

I do not know how it is called, it is made from jinjer (shyouga), has pink colour...

I like kimchi too.

Comment

There's a purplish one. Is it Nasu?

Comment

Yeah that is Nasu.

I dont like that one much but... to each his own.(^E^)

Bongo, just a hunch but,,, are you not in Japan because of your wife? You want to be here dont U?

Comment

We're newly married. She's in Japan. I work in the UK. She's coming over here. I'd rather be going over there.

Comment

I thought something like that.
            how can you stand being apart?

Comment

We can't. Oh, she's coming over here, I just have to get a flat. We'll probably settle in Japan later though. To tell the truth I can't stand living in the UK. It's crime ridden, wages are low, job security is non-existent, public transport is awful and the people are extraordinarily self-centred.

Comment

WoW, Bongo,

I'm suprised. I thought it was only the weather - and depression from it - that was bad.

Comment

Well, it's a complex and nebulous problem we have in the UK. Globalisation has hit the UK kinda hard. There's no manufacturing to speak of (Thatcher got rid of that), the City of London (which was just a gambling parlour) has been moved to Franfurt and 65% of foreign investment has been lost in the last 5 years.

The current government did one smart thing - they charged huge fees to the telecoms companies for 3rd generation licenses (which actually sent a few UK telecoms companies to the wall - oops!) and then went on a public sector spending spree.

So much so that recently, over 60% of people are now employed in the public sector! I actually throught that was impossible but not so. But now that money is running out too. Britain has the worst of both worlds in many ways though - US style management with UK (read: nepotistic) hiring practices and true competetive bidding for contracts (unlike the US where its competetive as long as you're an American) and the net result is that there's UK companies bidding for UK government contracts being undercut by foreign competitors.

And short termism. Companies can't see that what's good for the next quarters interim results is not necessarily good for the companies next 5 years! There's no vision in management - just pump and dump and smoke and mirrors.

In the end the people getting in the neck are average workers. In the lat 10 years, average salaries have jumped 26% (just keeping up with inflation). Average CEO salaries over the same period have jumped 422%. Yes, that wasn't a typo.

There's a director in my company who gets paid over 150,000GBP per year. I get paid a hundredth of that. Does that mean therefore that 100 of me is equivalent to 1 of him? I work in e-Commerce and I know that there's a good reason we don't have digitally printed signatures on cheques - because the directors would have nothing to do!

I'd like that to be a joke but it's not. There's a lot over here which smells of capitalism gone a bit wrong. The government is asleep at the wheel on economic matters. And don't get me started on Iraq.

OTOH, the weather here has been great recently - 36 degrees in early August!

Comment

Working...
                  X