Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buying a DIGITAL CAMERA in Tokyo

Hello,

I intend to purchase a digital camera in Tokyo (a Canon PowerShot S50) and I am wondering whether any of you who have bought a digital camera in Japan could help me with some things... First, are the menus on the screen in Japanese only? Or can they be in English too? Second, does the computer software come only in Japanese? Or can it be changed to English when installing it on the computer? Third, does anyone know any shops which have lower prices than average for that kind of goods?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

A

Re: Buying a DIGITAL CAMERA in Tokyo

I bought a Fujifilm M603, it's a great little camera, the quality is superb..

now selling for about 38000 yen...you should buy a 256 mg xd card well worth the extra cost.

the instructions are in Japanese, you can download the English instuctions from the net..

the software I dont use I have a compactflash card adapter, slot it into my laptop and go.

I was told that if you download the pictures direct from the camera the battery life is short.

Maybe someone with more technical know how will say more about this.

Comment

astro,
      Since you know what you are going to buy, I would just recommend you to stroll around Akihabra for the best price (you have to inquire about the discount they are prepared to give you) and keep away from Laox and other duty free shops (unless you are here with a short-term (less then 6 months) visa. Even with a short-term visa, a Japanese shop's discount will be typically better than the 5% 'duty-free' tax rebate. The screen menue language can be changed to English - the things you would want to have in English are the software, the manual and your warranty, if you care that it is international. Ask shop assistants if these are available for your camera.

Comment

I bought a canon ixy 30 shortly after I arrived in Japan. I spent all day shopping and bargaining in Akihabara, and in the end it wasn't such a great deal. I bought it in Laox so that I could get it with English instructions and software (since I previously had problems with j-software). I found that the price between a duty free shop and a small Japanese shop was all of about 1000 Yen after taxes. You might be able to bargain down a shopkeeper, but once the taxes come back on its about the same price. Speaking Japanese is something that would definitely help you.

After I bought the camera I stopped by Carfour to compare prices, and the prices there were significantly cheaper than in Akihabara, so it might be worthwhile to look elsewhere as well for the best price.

You should look into buying a powershot from the states. I found that powershots were much cheaper in the states than here. Check out www.epinions.com - it rates products and gives a price comparison.

The Japanese website www.kakaku.com also is a price comparison site for Japan, and it will tell you where to get it for the best price here. However, when I researched both digital cameras and mp3 players, if the same model existed in the states, it was a hell of a lot cheaper to get it there.

Comment

Thanks, Donnie the Bad-Ass Squirrel!!

That website you recommended (kakaku.com) turned out to be most useful. I ended up buying a Canon PowerShot S50 for Y40,800 in Akihabara (the price in other mainstream shops (Bic Camera et. al.) is Y50-55,000). Most of the cheaper shops were of the tracks, i.e. not in the main shopping streets, but in other smaller streets.

A.

Comment

I'm using www.kakaku.com, are there any other sites like this for computer shopping in Japan, I wanna buy a new computer but only have so much to spend.

why is it that in Japan they don't accept credit cards for high price items, it's strange eventhough the shops could make a quick turnover..

thanks

Comment

Working...
            X