X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• credit card

Does anyone know of a credit card that has an ongoing credit period (eg. one that you don't have to pay in full every month?). I currently have a JAL/VISA card (japanese card) but it has to be paid in full every month. I want to get a card that I can buy things with and pay it off over time.
    I'm Australian and I did apply to get a Commenwealth bank credit card, but they said that you have to be a permanent resident and be working in Australia to get the card.
    Has anyone else had a similiar experience or know of a company that will give this kind of card?

Re: credit card

Check if your card has "revolving credit". Most CCs here do. Citibank, JCB, VISA, MC, UC all do this. If not, ask for it.

And some also have bonus credit, whereby most of your payments are deferred and you pay a lot more at bonus time.

Comment

Somewhat related to your question, you can also ask the establishments that you make your purchases to separate the billings more than once. Some have up to a year but I think its twice or three times is the norm, depending on the amount.

Comment

Great! I appreciate the replies. I will definately call and find out about these options.

Does anyone know if Citibank or the ANZ (Australia/New Zealand) bank, which has offices in Tokyo and Osaka can give out credit cards? I'm wondering if these banks, being international (or Australian in the case of ANZ) are more willing to give cards to those of us living in Japan?

Comment

Citibank issues CCs in Japan. As long as you are resident here and depending on your salary etc., basic Visa is good for around 300,000\ with revolving credit and loan facility, while Gold Cards are good for 1,000,000\. Good credit repayments are rewarded by increase in credit limit.

ANZ - better ask them.

Comment

Can I use US credit cards in Japan? How about for things like groceries and train and subway tickets?

Comment

what type of card have you got? visa, master crad, american express? a credit card (i.e: visa, MC, AE) are accpeted pretty much anywhere that take credit card. (it does not matter where you got your credit card from). If you can't buy train tickets with your credit card, you can always withdraw some cash and then buy a ticket....

Comment

Working...
              X