Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Muesli?

Hi This might be a stupid question.
    Is muesli and cornflakes easy to find in Japan? and can I bring them into Japan?

Re: Muesli?

i don't know about muesli, but corn flakes are easy to find.

Comment

Merc

You dont say where you are living but in Osaka you can find Muesli in the imported goods section of many department stores (usually in the basement)

I have seen 1kg bags of Muesli (mixed oatmeal, grains, raisins and fruit for the uninitiated) in the grocery store next to Hankyu Umeda Railway station above Kinokuniya bookstore. Bags sell for around 800 yen for a large bag.

Comment

You can bring in Muesli into the country as long as its in a sealed bag, (unopened is best) and the grains are not still attached to the plant. Processed foodstuffs like Muesli etc are OK- its usually just plants, raw fruit, vegetables and animal hides etc that dont make it past quarantine inspection.

Comment

Most Japanese supermarkets have them, e.g. Daiei, Fuji, Seibu, Co-op, and the upmarket gaijin shops such as Kinokuniya and Meidi-ya, both Kelloggs and their own (often cheaper) unbranded packages.

Comment

when i first came here a couple o years ago, i was attached to cereal and couldnt believe the pack sizes!! In OZ of course cereal is a staple and there is a whole isle with 1kg, 1.5kg packs. I found the ones here (there were some 1kg packs of muesli) were only three or four servings!! thus the quick move to gohan and natto!! :-D (i still dont think it smells like dirty socks)

Comment

Hi!

Hmmc In most supermarkets and dept stores, the muesli prices are pretty high, but you can get 1 kg of pretty good muesli from Germany for 490 yen (or a little more if you want it with chocolate chips) at “÷‚̃nƒiƒ}ƒT (in Kanto). They sell plenty of other stuff besides meat, a lot of it aimed at caterers. You can find your nearest shop here:
              http://www.hanamasa.co.jp/company/sm/sm-list.html
              Some of the shops are open all day and all night.

Comment

Hi!

Time for a little update.

“÷‚̃nƒiƒ}ƒT have raised their muesli prices (on some exchange-rate pretext, I presume) a little, to 519 yen, I think. The price is the same for chocolate chip muesli but you only get 750 g.

Last night I discovered that the international supermarket Seijo Ishii (¬éÎˆä) have muesli at 499/kg. After today's breakfast I'm not sure which I prefer. Anyway, they stock a wide range of foods from many parts of the world - including Japan - at reasonable prices (compared with other sources of speciality imported foods, that is).
                They have 24 shops in Kanto, one in Nagoya and five in Osaka. Find your nearest here:

http://www.seijoishii.co.jp/store/index.html

More on the quest for good value muesli as and when!

-----

still wondering . . .

Comment

Working...
                X