X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do you have a hard time finding?

Hi, everyone. I'm just wondering what kinds of things you have a hard time finding in Japan. I know some guys can't find pants. How about the women? Is there anything you can't find in your size? Is there anything besides clothes that you can't find?

Meriko

Re: What do you have a hard time finding?

Real sausages, not weiners. what a joke they are, wherever did they come from....

Salt and Vinegar crisps....yes we Brits call then CRISPS and not CHIPS...

Bread rolls, I wanna eat a decent one, all I can buy is something sweet.... we bought a bread machine so now we make our own bread.

more later..

Comment

... aglets for my loafers...

As for you, Mr Merkil, well, you are not so hard to find.....

http://www.letsjapan.org/index.php?n...pic&t=1107

**Now this eminent haircaster shall repair to trophy room to clear space for Investigative Journalist Emmy Award #9**

Comment

Pocky-man, an American invented the things.

Comment

You can get tasty salt and vinegar chips/crisps (does this matter? do we really care?) at Yamaya. Other flavours as well...

Things that are hard to find? Good baking flour--the japanese stuff is too finely ground. Sausages, a good bra for a decent price, CDs that aren't twice the price as on amazon.com...

That may be it. Depends where you are, I imagine.

Comment

yo cant get good pizza either.

Comment

Pizza Hut here ain't that much different than the states. They make good pizza

Comment

REAL mexican food (not taco bell)! I was in Nagoya where it was impossible to find... I guess it's hard to find even outside southwestern US + Mexico of course.

Comment

i totally dig taco bell! it ain't real mexican food but i still miss it!

BTW "wulong" doesn't sound like the name of a mexican food restaurant connoisseur.

Comment

haha, you're right... it doesn't...

Growing up in southwestern US does give you a good idea about what Mexican food really is though. I've been to a few places in Japan and China, and nowhere is there anything that comes close to Mexican food from here. I'm not sure about the Japanese, but I've heard that Chinese people don't really like Mexican food (in general, of course). Probably the reason you can find Italian, French, etc. restaurants, but no Mexican restaurants.

Comment

seems like it would be a hit in China. Kinda spicey and heavy. i grew up in California but even where I came from you had to go to restaurants run by mexicans to get food that wasn't made for the gringos tastes!

Comment

haha, yeah.. those are the restaurants i'm talking about! you can't find that in Asia (afaik).

Comment

OTC drugs especially pain killers and flu stuff. If you like asprin or whatever bring enough with you. Or have a tame doctor who will Rx you the good stuff.

Comment

can't find good cereal and toothpaste. the toothpaste here don't feel like they actually clean your teeth well. but i like Lux Super Rich shampoo - ultra rich and moist.

i can't seem to find any hotdogs in japan. KFC chicken uses an nasty oily kind of batter here--and no mash potatoes to boot.

milk always smells funny here.

Comment

there is nothing wrong with wanting regional snack foods. it's just like home cooking. sometimes you miss it -- at least i do. people have their cravings for different foods from time to time. i'm sure japanese people would miss japanese food if they were in other countries for periods of time too.

and the question of this topic was:

what kinds of things you have a hard time finding in Japan?

there are certain products that are hard to find or can't be found in japan, vice versa, certain japanese products that can't be found else where.

Comment

Working...
                              X