Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• buying a tv...

Hi!

I was wondering if anyone can give me any hints about what I should look for in buying a tv in Japan. I've seen ads for multi-system, NTSC, bilingual, etc. I understand that a bilingual TV might be in my best interest, but I'm not sure what NTSC (I thought they used PAL standard out here?) or multisystem means. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Re: buying a tv...

Japan is NTSC not PAL.

Comment

Re: buying a tv...

Bilingual is just for receiving 2 different sound sources, nothing to do with the picture - E and J would be like left and right on a stereo system.

NTSC is the broadcasting standard in US, Japan; PAL in Europe, Oz/NZ and UK and their ex-empire; SECAM/ MESECAM in France and parts of Middle East and Africa (French Empire). PAL is technically the best, but NTSC seems now to have a greater following.

Multi-system is handy if you travel and expect to move the TV with you, or you have moved and have PAL Playstation/ NTSC video etc.. It is usually PAL/ NTSC, though other models cover all available formats. Also nice if family send videos from home, though you should also need a multisystem player to view them. Would also cover DVDs from around the world.

If necessary, you can also buy a converter (small box) that would do the same if required later.

BS tuner - is for satellite broadcasting, specifically NHK BS1 and BS2. Handy if you want a satellite dish. CS - SkyPerfect/ Star/ etc needs a decoder/ tuner, and is separate.

Digital/ Hi-vision are for the wide-angle "scenic" programmes that are increasingly becoming popular. Usually on upmarket models (expensive).

For Japan, bilingual only is fine, unless you buy the digital TVs. Extras - VCRs often have a BS-tuner, and a multisystem video or DVD will output into whatever TV you have.

OK?

Comment

Working...
      X