X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• engagement ring

I have done the typical thing and fallen in love with a beautiful woman with whom I want to spend the rest of my life. No problem there. So, I go shopping for an egagement ring. I have found the selection to be pretty sparse. Is there a big jewelry shopping area anywhere in Japan that has a good selection to choose? An Akihabara of jewelry?
    Also, about price: Does anyone know how Japanese jewelry prices compare with that of other countries, esp. USA? Any help in this area would be greatly appreciated.

Re: engagement ring

If you go to the search function and put in "engagement ring" for all forums, you will find some other threads on this very same topic.

Comment

Be forewarned. Engagement rings are usually much more expensive than the wedding ring.

Comment

It seems like diamonds are obscenely more expenesive here than in North America.

I bought diamonds before I left, thru a wholesaler, and it was much cheaper than anything I've herd of here. If you can get in contact with a wholesaler in the states and pay cash then I think it's worthwhile to go back to get a ring.

Comment

According to the better half, Okachimachi is the place to go

Comment

bluecactii, what do you do? If you`re teaching eikaiwa... Put up a notice for help at your school! That`s what I did/do for most stuff. (I guess this would be taboo at NOVA...)

One of my student`s mothers ended up being a jeweller. Helped us pick out a pedigreed rock at wholesale price. I double-checked the prices for similar size/quality diamonds on the `net... and found that she was offering a very decent deal. She designed the setting for the price of the platinum.

Anyhow, I prefer to use personal/work connections for most big transactions. I think it keeps everyone honest and helps build your community. You`ll probably be shopping again in a few years... (anniversary jewellry, etc..) and you`ll have someone to go to.

Just my (approx.) 150,000 yen...

Comment

Hi, Bluecactii!

If it's not too late, you might consider popping over to Seoul to buy one. There is something like an Akihabara of jewellery, in Chongno I think, and I suppose prices are much lower than in Japan. I believe lots of Japanese people go to Seoul for stuff like engagement rings, wedding gowns; they even go for much more ordinary shopping trips.
              Your fiancee - or her family - might object to the idea of a cheap ring from Korea. If you think that's possible, you could plan a romantic weekend there (with your fiancee, of course!) and just happen to stumble across the rock shops "by chance".

P.S. I hope you and your good lady have talked frankly about cultural differences and stuff: wouldn't want any nasty obstacles appearing later.

-----
              still wondering . . .

Comment

I would recommend www.bluenile.com

Comment

Originally posted by Tim Bernee
                  My right hand is slightly bigger than my left and so my wedding rings does not fit on my right hand. When this is the case, what do you do with your engagement ring during the wedding ceremony if it doesn't fit on your right hand?
                  You should know you only sell the damn things. whats the 'za' for.... Zambia?

Comment

Originally posted by Tim Bernee
                    My right hand is slightly bigger than my left and so my wedding rings does not fit on my right hand. When this is the case, what do you do with your engagement ring during the wedding ceremony if it doesn't fit on your right hand?
                    Spam...perchance?

Comment

Originally posted by KansaiBen View Post
                      You should know you only sell the damn things. whats the 'za' for.... Zambia?
                      za at the end of an internet address usually means it's a South African site.

Comment

Working...
                      X