X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• homestay

Last week I was looking through my bf`s photoalbum and saw the pics of the students that stayed at his parents house for homestay. I then asked him a lot of questions about them to see if they still kept in contact and he said yah and they were cool but it was hard for them to get into homestay as they were not white. Two of the homestay kids were asian american and one was black. He told me that a lot of japanese families did not want them because they wanted a white exchange student, and it was so bad that they couldnt even pay people to take any minories. My bf father took them in for no cost, took them around Japan, treated them as his own, and that was great.
    however when i heard the story, I was so shocked and angry but i didnt have hard feelings for japanese society as his father took them in cause none of the other japanese families wanted them. It kinda makes me think twice about the smiling faces i see here in japan. it was a slap in the face. Do some people in japan honestly think that all americans are white or the prototype for gaijin is white. I hate discimination for anyone based on race, sex, orientation, or disability. I just wanted to put my two cents out there and to see if the same thing has happened to anyone.
    i have a lot of friends who did homestay and some were good and some were bad but most of the conflicts were over house rules...but until now have i heard about discrimination for minorities coming to japan.

also my friend went to america to stay with a russian american family and they were pretty tough on him and called him chinaman and pulled their eyes into slants...he soon left america and went back to japan.

I sometimes think if some homestay people do it only for the money and personal interests and really have no love for cultural exchange.

While there is surely a stereotype among some Japanese that a typical American is a white person I donft think you should blame Japanese society as a whole for what you explained in your post. More that likely the home stay program organizers where not doing their job and you should blame them for what happened. There are many home stay programs in Japan, some good, some not.

Comment

Originally posted by rubirosa
      While there is surely a stereotype among some Japanese that a typical American is a white person I donft think you should blame Japanese society as a whole for what you explained in your post. More that likely the home stay program organizers where not doing their job and you should blame them for what happened. There are many home stay programs in Japan, some good, some not.

i just said above in my post that i didnt blame japanese society as a whole .. did you understand? anyways, my bf father who is japanese and many other japanese people i met here are really nice and humble people. i think of them as the real japan. i dont know so much about homestay as maybe you would but you have to admit white is number one in japan right? i see it everywhere . anyways i dont care about someones race or background , im black so, who cares...life is much bigger than those who wont like you for who you are. peace. did you ever do a homestay ? just curious

Comment

I guess I really didnft understand your post.

Fukuzawa Yukichi, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fukuzawa_Yukichi
        Said in the Meiji era that Japan should learn from the West and ever since people here have looked up to white people. It infuriates me to no end. Japan blindly follows US policy while ignoring and looking down on the emerging Asian economies, especially China.

I have never been involved in a home stay but I have spoke to many people about who have. Some people have good experiences, some donft. Some of the operators of these programs are very greedy people and could care less about the human element. Some programs are very good.

I agree with you that race is irrelevant. Itfs the inside that counts.

Comment

thanks for the info rubirosa.

Comment

interesting.....

Originally posted by khalilah
            Last week I was looking through my bf`s photoalbum and saw the pics of the students that stayed at his parents house for homestay. I then asked him a lot of questions about them to see if they still kept in contact and he said yah and they were cool but it was hard for them to get into homestay as they were not white. Two of the homestay kids were asian american and one was black. He told me that a lot of japanese families did not want them because they wanted a white exchange student, and it was so bad that they couldnt even pay people to take any minories. My bf father took them in for no cost, took them around Japan, treated them as his own, and that was great.
            however when i heard the story, I was so shocked and angry but i didnt have hard feelings for japanese society as his father took them in cause none of the other japanese families wanted them. It kinda makes me think twice about the smiling faces i see here in japan. it was a slap in the face. Do some people in japan honestly think that all americans are white or the prototype for gaijin is white. I hate discimination for anyone based on race, sex, orientation, or disability. I just wanted to put my two cents out there and to see if the same thing has happened to anyone.
            i have a lot of friends who did homestay and some were good and some were bad but most of the conflicts were over house rules...but until now have i heard about discrimination for minorities coming to japan.

also my friend went to america to stay with a russian american family and they were pretty tough on him and called him chinaman and pulled their eyes into slants...he soon left america and went back to japan.

I sometimes think if some homestay people do it only for the money and personal interests and really have no love for cultural exchange.

I've heard of some Japanese people identifying America with white people-that's just crazy. Actually, I had a girl ask me if I was from Africa. I told her I was from a country called California. She was very confused.

Comment

A guy was hired from Canada. After he arrived he was told that the big boss was surprised he was black. Also, my workmates can't get the heads around the fact that my ex-boyfriend was British. If you want to get technical about it, he's British Chinese. I've lost count of how many times I explained that he had a British passport, couldn't speak Chinese, was born in Britain, didn't leave until he was 20 etc.
              I think a lot of the time it's not meant negatively (not that it makes it any better). It just is. Sorry Khalilah, that's not really about homestay.

Comment

Good post

Originally posted by Nnnn
                A guy was hired from Canada. After he arrived he was told that the big boss was surprised he was black. .
                Maybe the big boss thought all them cold winters would have frozen him white?

Sorry, bad taste.

I agree they don't mean much by it most of the time. It is when their ignorance molts to reveal their stupidity that I get huffy.

WARNING!!! GROSS GENERALISATION TO FOLLOW:

many, many Japanese will almost always value received knowledge, even if grossly mistaken, over the brute facts of experience staring them in the face, much as that poor Cdn guy you mention must have done when he heard that sort of crap.

Not that lots of other humans don't also, of course.

Let's face it, kids: interculturally, Jpn are not just ignorant; they're actually retards. Fortunately, so many of them are so gracious, and so accommodating, it does help relieve the stings.

I get it all the time when I speak Jpn. There is something about my face and demeanour that seems to send a strong message:

Hell will freeze over before this Really Really White Guy speaks Japanese.
                the funny thing is, some of the most vocal responses I get are from Jpn language teachers.

Now that's fugged up

Comment

Kurogane - nice post!

So Japanese are biased? Wonder where they got the idea that all americans/canadians were white?

Don't know about Canada, but looking at my own "backyard" in the US, I think there's as much bias and intolerance here as elsewhere.....sometimes I think it's worse here. Look at the e-mails flying around about illegals, the history of black americans.....the way we treat Indians (american & asian); asians too.

Comment

I'm actually quite surprised to read these things about the people of Japan. I've been working in China for some time now and have found these things to be exceedingly true about the majority of Chinese people. Narrow-minded, intolerant, selfish, unaccepting, and downright racist. In general they're pretty humble people they're extremely nationalistic and proud of their country. They've come a long way but still have a long way yet to go. Now I'm hoping to head to Japan in a couple months, I thought they had a slightly broader awareness of the world around them and were slightly more tolerant than the typical Chinese person. Perhaps this may not be the case...?

Comment

Originally posted by polliwog
                      I'm actually quite surprised to read these things about the people of Japan. I've been working in [insert country name here]for some time now and have found these things to be exceedingly true about the majority of [insert nationality here]people. Narrow-minded, intolerant, selfish, unaccepting, and downright racist. In general they're pretty humble people they're extremely nationalistic and proud of their country. They've come a long way but still have a long way yet to go.
                      I grew up in the US and think this is true of the average American too. (except maybe the part about humility)

Comment

Working...
                      X