X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Japanese Moms

I grew up in a predominately JA neighborhood in Los Angeles and I have always been amazed at what Japanese mom's will sacrifice for their children. I am speaking of (Issei) immigrants and not JA moms. My best friend was a Nisei and this is the story he told me.

In early 1942 his father was arrested by the FBI and incarcerated, without just cause, in San Pedro. Mrs Hirai was left with three young children aged 2, 3 and 5, very little money and severely limited English language skills. But she was bound and determined that her children would not be raised in a "relocation" (read: concentration) camp. She met an elderly couple who told her that if she moved inland she and her children would not be put in any camp. It was only the those in the coastal states who would be sent to the camps. And so began her long march from Los Angeles over a thousand miles to Idaho, alone with three young children. She got a job picking sugar beets in Idaho and took her children to work in the fields with her everyday for the next year until Mr. Hirai was released by the FBI and was able to reach his family. Some effort by a simple country woman in a land far off and completely foreign to her.

My wife's story is almost as stirring. After the war it was difficult to find any work in Japan so my mother-in-law had to take a job as a cook and do the laundry in a cat house near Johnson AFB in Saitama. Everyday she took my wife on her back and her step-daughter by the hand and went to work for 12 hours and even more. They offered her a place to stay at the "place of business" but she refused because she didn't want her girls to have to say they were raised in a cat house. I really loved that woman, even more than my own mother. She was tough yet kind. A devout Buddhist many of the towns-people called her a "living Buddha". No matter how much she didn't have she had something for those who had less.

I'm sure there are great moms like that everywhere but it just seems to be with more frequency in Japan.

I think you might be on the wrong forum. All the guys on here do is ____ and moan about the evil thing that is the Japanese wife, mother, or mother-in-law.

Comment

Originally posted by TGreening View Post
      I think you might be on the wrong forum. All the guys on here do is ____ and moan about the evil thing that is the Japanese wife, mother, or mother-in-law.

I have seen that. I guess I live in a time warp or on another planet. Believe it or not 43 years married to the same woman and never any pis sing and moaning on either side. The only person I don't like is my brother-in-law but then nobody else likes him either.

Comment

"I'm sure there are great moms like that everywhere..."

Ya think?

Comment

Originally posted by Hijinx View Post
          "I'm sure there are great moms like that everywhere..."

Ya think?
          I am sure there are but this is what I have seen with my own eyes. I lived almost 20 years in Spain and some in Italy I saw some great moms but not like I saw in Japan. But that's just my experience. After retuning to the US we are in trouble here when it comes not just to moms but the family in general. But it's been a long time since I lived in Japan and things change. Maybe it's become the same there as here. In both cases I am talking about societies that were not as affluent as they are today. Maybe that's what makes the difference.

Comment

I live in Japan and see horrible moms every day.

Comment

Then like I said times have changed. I have seen some pretty horrible stuff in the Japanese papers the last few years but I am not really trying to write the "Rise and Fall of Moms". Those are just two experiences I've had but the last sentence I think points that out. The word "seems" is operative there.

Comment

Well, my attitude toward J-moms would increase greatly if they would just put their little brats in car seats and not smoke around them.

Comment

I believe that the car seat thing can be accopmlished. But the smoking, I don't have much faith in seeing an end to that. As I said I have not been to Japan in a long time. Have they instituted any kinds of smoking bans at all?

Comment

Originally posted by tora916 View Post
                    I believe that the car seat thing can be accopmlished. But the smoking, I don't have much faith in seeing an end to that. As I said I have not been to Japan in a long time. Have they instituted any kinds of smoking bans at all?
                    Here and there. Tokyo, Osaka and Nagoya (and other cities) have smoking bans in certain city-center areas. Lots of restaurants now are going smoke free--especially during lunchtime.

Comment

The craziesy ban I found was in Spain. My daughter called to tell me as of Jan 1 2005 there would be a ban on smoking in all bars in the major cities. When I got there everyone in the bars was smoking away, When I asked what happened to the smoking ban I was told that it was based on square meters of the bar and design. Turns out your bar whould have to be something like an octagon shaped place with room for less that 10 people. No bars fit that description but the smoking ban was in place and would be enforced. And I thought Tokyo was an open air nut house.

Comment

Dim, horny, living vicariously through the lives of their children -- regretting willingly giving up their youth to procreate because that is what their parents and society told them to do! and ever resentful of their husbands for ignoring them and giving them the time and money to do as they please...

Comment

Too true

Originally posted by well_bicyclically View Post
                          Dim, horny, living vicariously through the lives of their children -- regretting willingly giving up their youth to procreate because that is what their parents and society told them to do! and ever resentful of their husbands for ignoring them and giving them the time and money to do as they please...
                          yeah, there are lots who fit that description for sure.

Comment

Really? I guess they are the ones who...

I kind of see it myself. I guess they are the ones who got "knocked-up" and just barely, or not quite finish high school.

Comment

This thread needs pictures. The kinds that almost gets you banned.

Comment

Working...
                              X