Marriage to a native

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marriage to a native

Does anyone here have a Japanese spouse? I don't want to become a Japanese citizen, but will being married to a Japanese person offer me any particular benefits or qualify me for some kind of spousal visa should I choose to live in Japan?

You are in the right place! We have spouses, divorcees, suckers, etc, etc.

Oh, and answer you question. If your spouse is Japanese, you will be eligible to get a spousal visa. Usually.

Comment

Having a Japanese spouse does indeed make you eligible for a spousal visa.
      It also gives you a shorter timeline for getting Permanent Resident status.

Choosing Japanese citizenship is entirely up to you.

Comment

Originally posted by Booscare View Post
        Does anyone here have a Japanese spouse? I don't want to become a Japanese citizen, but will being married to a Japanese person offer me any particular benefits or qualify me for some kind of spousal visa should I choose to live in Japan?
        aside from obvious benefits the visa allows you to do any kind of paid work in Japan and you are not restricted to any one line of work. You can usually apply for PR after 4 or 5 years on a spouse visa as opposed to 10 for a single person.

Comment

Originally posted by KansaiBen View Post
          aside from obvious benefits the visa allows you to do any kind of paid work in Japan and you are not restricted to any one line of work. You can usually apply for PR after 4 or 5 years on a spouse visa as opposed to 10 for a single person.
          Comm' on. You know more about it that visa-stuff. Tell him how it is to be married to a Japanese and how well it can end.

Comment

Originally posted by Tatsuo View Post
            ... Tell him how it is to be married to a Japanese and how well it can end.
            It doesn't need to end... now happily continuing on for close to 39 years.

Comment

We're now into our 41st year since meeting, although married for a bit less than that.

Comment

Righteous. After posting this question it occurred to me that Google could provide me with an answer in 0.37 seconds, but I appreciate the responses all the same!

Comment

Comm' on. You know more about it that visa-stuff. Tell him how it is to be married to a Japanese and how well it can end.
                  Tatsuo, visa is at the beginning, not at the end. You know much better how well it ends to be married to a Japanese. Why don`t you tell us your story? That is why you are here.

Fitting background...

Comment

1. divorce
                    2. death
                    3, one of the above.

Comment

Working...
                    X