Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• omiyage - good place to shop?

Hi All,

I'm looking for recommendations on good places to shop for gifts that non-Japanese would like to take back to their countries which they might feel represent a part of Japan. Where you might be able to get traditional style goods.

I know this is a broad question, but I'm wondering if you can think of and recommend any specific stores (name, location, address, etc) that you feel would be a prime spot for such shopping?

It can be in the Tokyo or Osaka/kyoto areas.....

Would greatly appreciate responses.

Dadu..

Oriental bazaar, Omotesando dori, Harajuku, Tokyo

Comment

Asakusa

i always find the nakamise road of shops leading up to kaminari temple in asakusa to be a great place to bring travelers looking for japanese trinkets, or as a one-stop shop to bring such stuff home for people. mostly touristy stuff, but in the surrounding shopping areas are some 'real' japanese crafts/kimono/____amachi stuff. and generally much cheaper than other parts of town.

Comment

asakusa

I did all my Christmas shopping there yesterday, got some great deals. Yummy foods too!

Comment

Ok

That's good info. Thank you for the assistance.

Any idea of such places in the kansai area?

Comment

Omiyage

In Kobe I used to go to a store in the Motomachi Shotengai(arcade) which starts right near Daimaru and runs for quite a disctance down to Kobe JR Station. If you go down this arcade (quite a distance) say about 100-200 metres on your right is this shop that sells all sorts of Japanese crockery, I used to pick up small dishes for 200yen and they are really cute and went down well as gifts..
            Not sure if it is still there but worth a try.

Tara

Comment

Working...
            X