X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gift suggestions for picky rich person

I'm visiting a friend who lives in South East Asia....who doesn't particularly fancy Japan, because her husband was once married to a Japanese girl...and she is extremely jealous....even to the oint where she won't visit me in Japan.

Anyway, I need to buy her a present as she is letting me stay at her place over the New Year break.....I know she will turn her nose up at any Japanese souvenir....and she doesn't drink either...

so............help........I need suggestions ASAP....what can you get someone that is this picky????

Weellll, for the hard to please Jealous Crazy People, we have......

How about a model replica of Hiroshima after the blast? That sounds like something that might please her.

OUCH! Can't quite believe I wrote that. How about some nice liquor from Yamaya, etc.? I.E. Foreign liquor.

Comment

thanx for the suggestions kuro_daddy...but me thinks you didn't read my post...must be losing your vision in old age................heehee

she doesn't drink alcohol...is a Buddhist...and doesn't really hate Japan the country...just the women...teehee

thanks for trying big_daddy...night night

Comment

make-up? cosmetics? weird Japanese gadget-y thingummy? books?

Comment

Bring her some music from YOUR country. Especially if you know her taste (we always do well with Diana Krall or Oscar Peterson). You can probably find some (unless you are from somewhere really obscure) at Tower Records or HMV.

Comment

Her Country??????????????

Originally posted by dipchick
            Bring her some music from YOUR country. Especially if you know her taste (we always do well with Diana Krall or Oscar Peterson). You can probably find some (unless you are from somewhere really obscure) at Tower Records or HMV.
            You aren't suggesting that she propagate MORE Rolf Harris on an already tired, Rolf weary world are you? I thought your job was to HELP PEOPLE????????

I can already hear it now:
            "Tie me kangaroo down, sport, Tie me............"

My Inner Kangaroo is dying. Dying I tell you
            AAAACCCCCCCCCCCCCKKKKKKKKKKKKKK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!

PS Nice idea, actually. You forgot to mention the Tragically Hip, though. I used to play soccer with them, you know. Ahhh, touched by greatness, I was.
            Have a good weekend, and enjoy Kyoto, eh?

Comment

Thanks - we are packing warm!

We played a slow pitch co-ed Queen's softball game with the Barenaked Ladies a LONG time ago... Picked them up in a burger joint! We lost, despite padding our team...

Comment

Dipchick,

The Barenaked Ladies used to play at the Elbow Room at Western all the time when I was going there. My friends and I would sing along to the few original songs they were doing at that time. "Couldn't care less, what's under k.d. lang's skirt..."

Hey, did you ever come to Western? I once nailed a chick from Queens after a big football game. All I remember is that she had blonde hair and wore no panties. If you think it might be you, PM me and let's catch up.

Kurogane,
                The Tragically Hip...Talk about trying to say too much with a name. They'd have been much more commercially viable with a name like "The Happy Thighs." Good band, though.

And on the subject of famous Canadian bands with whom we've interacted I met Pete Timmins from The Cowboy Junkies several times at parties although I wouldn't say he was a friend. Got high with him, though. And I remember watching the Junkies play at this seedy little dive in Toronto about a year and a half before they hit it big. The band played their soporific version of "Sweet Jane", the same song they would perform on Saturday Night Live the following year. Not many people listened to them that night, however. Everyone was too busy cutting up coke.

Oh my, it's time to do some Christmas shopping. Whatever shall I buy? Last year I bought the woman one of those Broncos that Samantha from Sex and the City got off on. "I bought it for her, but at a time like this I really think I got it for myself."

Comment

there was no need for that

[QUOTE=kurogane]You aren't suggesting that she propagate MORE Rolf Harris on an already tired, Rolf weary world are you? I thought your job was to HELP PEOPLE????????

I can already hear it now:
                  "Tie me kangaroo down, sport, Tie me............"

Had an interview on Saturday. Will read gajinpot before leaving, I thought. Will read this thread. Came across above comment. Went to interview with the damn tune reverbarating around my skull. Tune did not go away until the next day.

Damn you.

sm

Comment

Kurokitty;

What do you give a woman who has everything?

A Hello Kitty dildo.

If she doesn't like it she can go ___ herself.

Comment

Lucifer, Mai Hero

Har Har Har Har!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Man, U done be nuts.

Dipchick,
                      How was Kyoto? BTW, are you a Queensoid, too? What a small world, eh.
                      Kurogane (Arts '87)

Comment

Kyoto was interesting. Great to see our friend, got to hang out with a maiko for half an hour or so (that was gratis, but the bar charged us Y20,000 for drinks & snacks!). Saw some temples, our son went to the place where they make japanese movies with our friend & we got a few adult hours.

I wouldn't call myself a queensoid - I did my master's there in 92 or something like that. I don't think you can be an oilthigh unless you did your undergrad there. Plus, I hated how elitist it was - had fantasies about doing in my department...

Comment

Cool, Tricolour Momma

Originally posted by dipchick
                          Kyoto was interesting. Great to see our friend, got to hang out with a maiko for half an hour or so (that was gratis, but the bar charged us Y20,000 for drinks & snacks!). Saw some temples, our son went to the place where they make japanese movies with our friend & we got a few adult hours.
                          I wouldn't call myself a queensoid - I did my master's there in 92 or something like that. I don't think you can be an oilthigh unless you did your undergrad there. Plus, I hated how elitist it was - had fantasies about doing in my department...
                          Glad to hear you enjoyed Kyoto . Funny about the Maiko thing, eh? Their company is free, but the company (i.e. the bar itself) that arranges their company charges through the nose.

I think you are right about the Queen's thing. I also found it very elitist and insular. A lot of my Ontarian friends used to boast that Queen's has no fraternities or sororities. We Westies used to say that was because the whole damn place is a frat/sorority. As for fantasies about doing someone in your department, I hear you. I had a huge thing for the secretary in the Political Studies office. No wonder I have such good memories of that place.
                          OHHHHHHHHHH! You mean Doing In the whole department???? In that case, Never Mind.

Merry Christmas, Happy channukah, Fantastic Festus!

Comment

Working...
                          X