Sophia University vs Temple University Japan

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sophia University vs Temple University Japan

So, I was thinking which one is better to go to. I live on a military base in japan and I want to major in International business which university would be better? I know Sophia is a top school but that is only for the japanese people I don't know if it's the top for the FLA program which is taught in English. I am planning to stay for a year or two and get my japanese up then transfer to a school in the states. By the way I am both American and Japanese and i speak both languages fluently but my kanji isn't great so I hope to get my Kanji up in these couple years. So who ever knows which is better Sophia/Jochi or Temple as far as education, girls, the people, having fun, cost, dorms environment and anything else useful that would help me thankyou.

sophia girls are known to be top tier. jussayin'

Comment

This is the third thread you have started on the same topic.

Get a coin. Temple is Heads, Sophia is tails.

Give it a spin and see what happens.

Another word of wisdom from an old fart. Its not Sophia's or Temples job to entertain you and make sure you have a fun time. They are not there to provide you with fun and girls. An education and learning is what you make it. All they do is provide the content and the means to graduate. All the rest is a personal journey.
      Last edited by KansaiBen; 2012-03-06, 04:16 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by KansaiBen View Post
        This is the third thread you have started on the same topic.

Get a coin. Temple is Heads, Sophia is tails.

Give it a spin and see what happens.

Another word of wisdom from an old fart. Its not Sophia's or Temples job to entertain you and make sure you have a fun time. They are not there to provide you with fun and girls. An education and learning is what you make it. All they do is provide the content and the means to graduate. All the rest is a personal journey.
        Actually, I posted this before the very first post I posted. I'm just trying to get as much information as I can and not just one person.

Comment

Neither are particularly good universities, but they will accept anybody with a pulse and ready cash.

If your marks and such are good or better, check out the new English instruction programmes offered at real Japanese universities, like Tsukuba and such.
          Last edited by kurogane; 2012-03-07, 10:42 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by jsmooth23 View Post
            So, I was thinking which one is better to go to. I live on a military base in japan and I want to major in International business which university would be better? I know Sophia is a top school but that is only for the japanese people I don't know if it's the top for the FLA program which is taught in English. I am planning to stay for a year or two and get my japanese up then transfer to a school in the states. By the way I am both American and Japanese and i speak both languages fluently but my kanji isn't great so I hope to get my Kanji up in these couple years. So who ever knows which is better Sophia/Jochi or Temple as far as education, girls, the people, having fun, cost, dorms environment and anything else useful that would help me thankyou.
            Well at least you offered some criterion on which to rank...other comments here can be disqualified based upon the biases they all have toward what makes a university "good".

Education: sophia will likely offer you the standard one-way mindless lecture approach, some of which will come from Catholics priests. Temple will have some lecture, but learning will also be much more interactive (i.e. less time to sleep in class).

Girls: Quality vs quantity. Sophia is large, so lots to choose from. Temple is small (ave. class size 20). This means fewer to choose from, but stand outside the school one day and watch what comes out. Temple will do surprisingly, if not amazingly well in this area given its size. A fair number halfs...oops, bi-culturals, which can make for some incredible combinations.

The people: Who?

Having fun: Sophia will offer the standard "Let's Join the Tennis Circle", whereas Temple will offer fun closer to American style college parties.

Cost: Not sure. Temple may be a little more expensive though.

Dorms: Temple doesn't have dorms. Sophia likely does.

I was very happy to see that your have your priorities straight on how to choose a university.

Comment

Originally posted by Ansony View Post
              I was very happy to see that your have your priorities straight on how to choose a university.
              He didnt actually mention whether he would learn anything at either of them. Pretty expensive way to party for four years.

Comment

Well at least you offered some criterion on which to rank...other comments here can be disqualified based upon the biases they all have toward what makes a university "good".

Education: sophia will likely offer you the standard one-way mindless lecture approach, some of which will come from Catholics priests. Temple will have some lecture, but learning will also be much more interactive (i.e. less time to sleep in class).

Girls: Quality vs quantity. Sophia is large, so lots to choose from. Temple is small (ave. class size 20). This means fewer to choose from, but stand outside the school one day and watch what comes out. Temple will do surprisingly, if not amazingly well in this area given its size. A fair number halfs...oops, bi-culturals, which can make for some incredible combinations.

The people: Who?

Having fun: Sophia will offer the standard "Let's Join the Tennis Circle", whereas Temple will offer fun closer to American style college parties.

Cost: Not sure. Temple may be a little more expensive though.

Dorms: Temple doesn't have dorms. Sophia likely does.

Thanks, that helped a lot by the way they offer dorms at Temple, I saw it on the website but you only can stay for 1 semester before you have to move to an apartment. I think I'm going to go to Temple for it's accreditation for both the U.S. and Japan. Have you been to either universities?

Comment

He didnt actually mention whether he would learn anything at either of them. Pretty expensive way to party for four years.
                  Like I said I'm going to stay for a year or 2 then transfer to the states I'm also going to apply for scholarships and financial aid

Comment

Like I said I'm going to stay for a year or 2 then transfer to the states I'm also going to apply for scholarships and financial aid
                    Like I said before, all Temple (and Sophia) does is provide you with an education and a piece of paper. The rest (girls/ social life) is stuff that you have to do for yourself. No point asking which is "better" when its the academic content that you should be worried about. If you have bad lecturers (and I have heard of that being the case even at Temple) you either suck it up or you complain to the Dean.

My experience having spent upwards of ten years in tertiary level learning is that it is what you make of it.

My guess is your worry is whether it will be money well spent or not.

For my part I had no regrets going to Temple, even though it left me 2 million yen poorer.

While I think of it, is the unspoken message here also "will I be able to get a job once I graduate with a Temple degree, and which is the best university to help me achieve that goal?" Its almost as if you expect that there is a social contract between you that you be able to find a job based on what you study at Temple or Sophia, am I right?
                    Last edited by KansaiBen; 2012-03-07, 09:09 PM.

Comment

Indeed, learning was not directly mentioned. He didn't ask, so I didn't offer any thoughts on it. If he feels like partying for 4 years, then that is his choice. I don't think it is a Potter's obligation to offer advice or mentorship on things that the OP didn't ask about...though some here do seem to feel obliged to do just that. What fun is going into university with your eyes wide open? He will figure out once in where and how he wants to divide his time. As an undergrad, I started 40% party/40% women/20% academics and then gradually shifted more towards academics by years 3 and 4...and I even got into graduated school...3 times.

And here we are talking about him like he's not even here....

Comment

Thanks, that helped a lot by the way they offer dorms at Temple, I saw it on the website but you only can stay for 1 semester before you have to move to an apartment. I think I'm going to go to Temple for it's accreditation for both the U.S. and Japan. Have you been to either universities?
                        Happy to help. I've not been a student at either, but lets just say I have spent a fair amount of time at both, much more at Temple though. I am biased.

Comment

And here we are talking about him like he's not even here....
                          Especially when daddy's probably paying for it. If its your own money you are usually more careful about how you spend your time and money. I paid my own way through grad school (Temple M.Ed) and a PhD so I didn't have much time for partying and mucking around.

Comment

Especially when daddy's probably paying for it. If its your own money you are usually more careful about how you spend your time and money. I paid my own way through grad school (Temple M.Ed) and a PhD so I didn't have much time for partying and mucking around.
                            My pops covered most of my undergrad and seemed just as proud of my social feats as my academics ones (and the former were far more apparent). Both are, in my eyes and I guess my dad's, equally as important. If someone spends four years in uni and leaves having only achieved academic success, then they've only received half an education.

KB, grad school is a whole different kettle of fish.

Comment

My pops covered most of my undergrad and seemed just as proud of my social feats as my academics ones (and the former were far more apparent). Both are, in my eyes and I guess my dad's, equally as important. If someone spends four years in uni and leaves having only achieved academic success, then they've only received half an education.

KB, grad school is a whole different kettle of fish.
                              Probably because he did the same things when he was at college. I know my kids will probably party and join clubs but as long as they pass their courses I don't have a problem with it. I have known cases where parents pulled their kids out of university because they were failing too many courses. All Im saying is keep your eye on the ball and know what you are going there for.

Comment

Working...
                              X