X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tuj undergraduate program

Hello. I was recently accepted to Temple University Japan, and aside from student feedback posted on the TUJ website I haven't exactly gotten any "inside scoop" on how beneficial or rewarding the program is in terms of furthering (and finishing) my college education and the possibility of getting a stimulating job afterwards. I am an American and I would like to double major in Asian Studies and Art. With what I have been reading from the posts, TUJ is an ideal for Japanese who want to work on their English skills and eventually work in the U.S., but what about the other way around? My main initiative in applying to TUJ was to be able to learn Japanese language and culture while being immersed in a major art center (put simply).

I have also been looking into this language school calls NILS in Fukuoka- I don't know how beneficial an english school is when trying to learn Japanese, and if the rest of the program isn't as wonderful then I might as well go to a language school first.

Any advice/information will be much appreciated! TUJ would be quite the investment and I want to make sure I know everything about it before making a decision.

Thank you!
    Jessie

Originally posted by jmari View Post
    Hello. I was recently accepted to Temple University Japan, and aside from student feedback posted on the TUJ website I haven't exactly gotten any "inside scoop" on how beneficial or rewarding the program is in terms of furthering (and finishing) my college education and the possibility of getting a stimulating job afterwards. I am an American and I would like to double major in Asian Studies and Art. With what I have been reading from the posts, TUJ is an ideal for Japanese who want to work on their English skills and eventually work in the U.S., but what about the other way around? My main initiative in applying to TUJ was to be able to learn Japanese language and culture while being immersed in a major art center (put simply).

I have also been looking into this language school calls NILS in Fukuoka- I don't know how beneficial an english school is when trying to learn Japanese, and if the rest of the program isn't as wonderful then I might as well go to a language school first.

Any advice/information will be much appreciated! TUJ would be quite the investment and I want to make sure I know everything about it before making a decision.

Thank you!
    Jessie
    Well TUJ is recognized in both the U.S. and Japanese government so that is an advantage. To answer your question it would be a benefit to study at TUJ and get a job in Japan because your going to be around the culture and your going to learn the language more as opposed to the US. If you want status Sophia/Jochi would be a better choice, because it is an ivyleague school and almost every japanese person knows about the college. As for me I'm still thinking about going to temple or Sophia, but I'm probably going to go to Temple since it's easier to transfer to a U.S. university in the future.

Comment

Originally posted by jsmooth23 View Post
      Well TUJ is recognized in both the U.S. and Japanese government so that is an advantage. To answer your question it would be a benefit to study at TUJ and get a job in Japan because your going to be around the culture and your going to learn the language more as opposed to the US. If you want status Sophia/Jochi would be a better choice, because it is an ivyleague school and almost every japanese person knows about the college. As for me I'm still thinking about going to temple or Sophia, but I'm probably going to go to Temple since it's easier to transfer to a U.S. university in the future.

Thanks for your reply! I've definitely thought about the advantages of TUJ being accredited in Japan and the U.S. but in terms of immersing myself in the culture and language, there are also a lot of other options: going to a language school where everything is in Japanese, passing the language qualification test and then apply to a college or even vocational school. I'm not sure about the cons of this option though, aside from not getting any transferrable credits for the states. However in my situation I don't think that would much matter- I am an art student along with asian studies and language, this type of decision may be more of a no brainer if your in business, international relations, engineering etc., as theres so many options for those fields, and many schools that cater to them (the global 30 decision). If I decide to go to Temple, hope to see you there! What are you studying?

Comment

Working...
      X