Getting photos into a gallery ?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting photos into a gallery ?

I am an amateur photographer (Film and digital), my work ranges from street to landscapes to cityscapes.

I'd like to try getting some of my photos into a gallery in Tokyo but don't really have any connections in the industry or any idea how to get started.

Anyone have any advice?

Originally posted by paradoxbox View Post
    I am an amateur photographer (Film and digital), my work ranges from street to landscapes to cityscapes.

I'd like to try getting some of my photos into a gallery in Tokyo but don't really have any connections in the industry or any idea how to get started.

Anyone have any advice?
    This is a good place to start probably.

http://www.designfesta.com/index_en.html

Um You know the design festa gallery in Harajuku? You can rent wall space there and they don't take any commission if it sells.
    It's a pretty cool little place to at least get your feet wet and quite reasonably priced.

Comment

There are far more rental galleries in Tokyo than commercial galleries.

You could have an exhibition every week if you have the cash to rent spaces.

If you're hoping to be picked up and represented by a commercial gallery then you'll need great contacts, great work, or great luck. Preferably all 3.

Comment

Anyone have any advice?
        Get an agent.

Comment

Originally posted by purple View Post
          There are far more rental galleries in Tokyo than commercial galleries.

You could have an exhibition every week if you have the cash to rent spaces.

If you're hoping to be picked up and represented by a commercial gallery then you'll need great contacts, great work, or great luck. Preferably all 3.
          thanks for the advice. i have great luck. unfortunately great contacts and great work are still somewhat undecided. i have many friends attending photography technical colleges but it's not enough to get noticed. and i'm no henri cartier bresson though i'm a fairly assertive street photographer.

i might try some rental spaces first. does anyone know if selling photographs from rental galleries is permitted / accepted / successful ? i have my own wide format printer and if it's possible it'd be nice to make some cash from my photos.

Comment

I don't know if this will help, but....

In Tasmania, Australia, where I live, there's a photographer called Tero, who has a good marketing idea for himself.
            He advertises on local TV for people to be part of a book of portraits (kids, pets, gardens etc). People pay $80 to have a page of the book dedicated to them. He probably gets free TV exposure because the "profits" from the book go to the RSPCA (Animal Welfare).

There is no mention of what happens to the $80 per page charge, or how much he charges for his professional fee.
            He produces several books a year and claims to have raised $10,000+ for the RSPCA, last year, which gives him credibility.

Having said that, I have no reason to doubt his integrity.

Just a thought.

Comment

i might try some rental spaces first. does anyone know if selling photographs from rental galleries is permitted / accepted / successful ? i have my own wide format printer and if it's possible it'd be nice to make some cash from my photos.
              Well. I know that the place I gave you the link to expects you to try and sell things. (doesn't matter whether you do or not- your paying the rent on the space) I'm pretty sure they don't take any commission either..
              Take a wander there and pick up a brochure (It's in English) and that explains everything very clearly.

Comment

Working...
              X