X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cost of having children in Japan

What are the costs associated with having children in Japan? Can you give me some rough estimates please per child

Birth/Hospital fees?

Healthcare fees?

Schooling from KG to HS?

Univeristy?

etc

Cheers

Originally posted by chiba View Post
    What are the costs associated with having children in Japan? Can you give me some rough estimates please per child

Birth/Hospital fees?

Healthcare fees?

Schooling from KG to HS?

Univeristy?

etc

Cheers

approximate cost is about $150,000 per child from birth till graduation from university. Will cost more depending on if kids go to international schools and/or private university.

Tokyo area International schools fees are about 1.5-2 million yen a year per child.

Japanese public schools are relatively cheap. Private schools get pricey, 800,000-1 million yen per year upwards.

As well as school fees you have things like school uniforms, textbooks, school trips, club activities, juku (optional)

Piano lessons, tennis lessons or whatever else your kid decides to take up as a hobby/sport.

Insurance is usually on Japanese health insurance ( family plan). Pay 30% of any medical bills.

Comment

I've heard similar figures for the UK, the below article suggests 200K GBP.
      http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/2010...cost-inflation

Since schooling and health care is free in the UK, I don't understand how this can be so high?! They must be basing it on a really high standard of living.

Comment

Originally posted by KansaiBen View Post
        approximate cost is about $150,000 per child from birth till graduation from university. Will cost more depending on if kids go to international schools and/or private university.
        Now there's a nice made up figure that may or may not have any connection to reality.

Insurance is usually on Japanese health insurance ( family plan). Pay 30% of any medical bills.
        The Agitator family's ku pays the other 30% for the children (i.e. they are covered to 100%).

Correctingly,
        A.

Comment

Originally posted by Agitator View Post
          Now there's a nice made up figure that may or may not have any connection to reality.
          Could be, except I believe I read it in the Japan Times somewhere. I also know what I spent on my own kids and it wasn't cheap. Go to med school in Japan and it will cost anything up to 9-10 million yen for 6 years. 2 million a year from age 5 to 17 or 18 for international schools, do the math. A million a year for Japanese private schools for 12 years. Food, clothing, medical and dental expenses. Maybe you need to buy them a car, motorbike or pay for an apartment if they study in another city than you.

The Agitator family's ku pays the other 30% for the children (i.e. they are covered to 100%).

Correctingly,
          A.
          If taxpayer pays for the other 70% of the bill they are covered anyway so its hard to see why you need to top it up or take out extra insurance. All you do is pay double premiums. Wife and kids are covered under one policy under Kokumin Hoken or Shakai Hoken. No need for extra insurance.
          Last edited by KansaiBen; 2012-03-20, 10:03 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by chiba View Post
            What are the costs associated with having children in Japan?
            All of your money. For the rest of your life.

That is all.

Comment

Originally posted by YokohamaTommy View Post
              All of your money. For the rest of your life.

That is all.
              You have kids so you have someone to support YOU in your old age after all that you have spent on them when they were growing up.

Think opportunity cost- how much more would you have if you decided NOT to have kids in the first place?

PS some kids become financially dependent on parents even as adults, borrowing money have parents buying cars and houses for them, supporting them during bouts of unemployment and between jobs. Even paying for grandchildren.

Comment

You have kids so you have someone to support YOU in your old age after all that you have spent on them when they were growing up.
                That's some pretty 3rd-world thinking you've got going on there in that statement.

Think opportunity cost- how much more would you have if you decided NOT to have kids in the first place?
                It's not like you're buying a bunch of bonds, you know.

Comment

I didn't.

Guess you're talking about yourself here.

PS some kids become financially dependent on parents even as adults, borrowing money have parents buying cars and houses for them, supporting them during bouts of unemployment and between jobs. Even paying for grandchildren.
                  That's a failure on the part of the parents.

Comment

And people wonder why I jump on your comments.

Comment

Originally posted by Effected After View Post
                      And people wonder why I jump on your comments.
                      The average man will retire at age 60 or 65. Women in Japan live till about 85. My ex's grandmother made it to 94.

You will probably live till 75 and some live in their 80's. Thats 15-20 years where they have to live on a national pension, savings or whatever you can scrape together. Not everyone is able to retire comfortably when they hit 65.

If you have a debilitating disease, Alzheimers, Parkinsons, or have your 90 year old mother put in a rest home it wont always be grandma that pays for it but the kids. Want to put your mother in a service home in Japan? It will set you back about 100 grand.

You guys need to think outside the box here rather than jump on everything I say out of political correctness or feigned indignation.

People also decide NOT to have children because of careers, wanting to travel, and do things that dont involve children. Go on cruises or take a world trip, buy a nice sports car or a second house. Worrying about the cost of children is not a crime you know, it comes down to dollars and sense and deciding if you can afford it.
                      Last edited by KansaiBen; 2012-03-20, 12:25 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Seattlegirl View Post
                        I didn't.
                        that is the thinking in most Asian countries as well as in Japan. Marry a Pina or a Thai and expect a large chunk of your monthly paycheck to go to her aging mother or extended relatives as you are the mealticket son or daughter-in law in the family.

Your mother gets Alzheimers, you just going to park her outside a hospital and let them take care of her? Happens quite a lot in the US.

Comment

Your mother gets Alzheimers, you just going to park her outside a hospital and let them take care of her? Happens quite a lot in the US.
                          My mother passed away 12 years ago from lung cancer so no worries there. Had a great aunt with Alzheimer's, though. Her family took care of her to the end. My father is still going strong and supporting himself with his investments. I hope he lives long and prospers.

And by the way, you talked about having kids to support you in your old age. You didn't mention any cultural references, so you're just flat-out backpedaling and trying to pass off your personal opinions by claiming that Asians think that way.

Comment

If taxpayer pays for the other 70% of the bill they are covered anyway so its hard to see why you need to top it up or take out extra insurance. All you do is pay double premiums. Wife and kids are covered under one policy under Kokumin Hoken or Shakai Hoken. No need for extra insurance.
                            Serious question: are you illiterate? I said that in my ku (Minato-ku, Tokyo), the ward provides, for free (well, really at taxpayer expense) coverage for the remaining 30%. Who said anything about double premiums or extra insurance or whatever.

On the other hand, when I consider how much residential tax I've paid them over the years, it seems like the least they can do.

Assuredly,
                            A.

ETA: I have no idea if the above is standard practice in other municipalities. I've been in Minato for the last decade and a half.
                            Last edited by Agitator; 2012-03-20, 12:47 PM.

Comment

Sorry to disagree, KB.
                              The bunch of misfits I'm responsible for breeding (or so I believe) have no intention or ability to support me in my dotage, which has recently started.
                              Useless bunch of rugrats.
                              Whats more, I can't return the b@astards for even a partial refund.

Comment

Working...
                              X