Returns policy Japan

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Returns policy Japan

Yesterday I upgraded my mobile internet with emobile at Yodabashi camera. Today I found that the particular model I signed up for was not functioning as I would like so I went back today and asked if I could exchange it for a different model and they refused. I assumed that they would have no choice but to allow the exchange because I was within the 7 day cooling off period or are mobile phone contracts a different kettle of fish. My Japanese is poor so I can't ring Emobile.

Is there anything else I can do about this?

Originally posted by kiwao View Post
    Yesterday I upgraded my mobile internet with emobile at Yodabashi camera. Today I found that the particular model I signed up for was not functioning as I would like so I went back today and asked if I could exchange it for a different model and they refused. I assumed that they would have no choice but to allow the exchange because I was within the 7 day cooling off period or are mobile phone contracts a different kettle of fish. My Japanese is poor so I can't ring Emobile.

Is there anything else I can do about this?
    It's not functioning as you would like? Or as it was promised to? There is a big difference.

If you can demonstrate that the product does not function as advertised, there's a good chance you can return it. Electronics stores are well known for their no-returns policies. As for a 7-day cooling off period - *IS* there one - or did you just imagine one?

Good luck.

Comment

The cancellation period of 7 working days is a EU guideline and therefore doesn't apply to Japan.

Check the terms & conditions on the website where you ordered from.

Comment

I remember when the cooling-off period came in, there were a list of the types of products and services that it applied to, but in a very short google search just now, I couldn't find it.

Comment

It looks like the cooling off period doesn't apply to purchases at stores:
          Edit: but a contract at a store maybe should be. Definitely a grey area.

(注意)
          全ての契約がクーリングオフできるわけではありません。スーパー・百貨店などに出向いて商品を買ったり、雑誌やインタ ーネットなどの広告を見て自ら申し込んで商品を買った場 合など、消費者を保護する必要がないと思われる場合に は、クーリングオフできません。

link
          Rough translation
          Note:
          Not all agreements are covered under this 'cooling off'. If you on your own volition go to a supermarket or department store to make a purchase, or order a magazine or internet after seeing an advertisement, and it's something that wouldn't be thought of as needing consumer protection, it's not covered under 'cooling off'.

Comment

Originally posted by hml View Post
            It's not functioning as you would like? Or as it was promised to? There is a big difference.
            I have had the experience of exchanging power tools at Tokyu Hands that did not have the feature that I had thought.
            Things like that, though, really all depend on how the employee feels. Some people are more reasonable than others.
            Also, if the box or anything is missing, that can be enough for them to refuse.

Also, how well you can speak Japanese has a huge effect on the outcome. If the communication becomes a hassle, in and of itself, they might just tell you "well, it's not broken. it's your problem if you didn't understand what we said last week."
            Last edited by nynapaj; 2012-04-11, 01:19 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X