X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Difficult to Keep Paleo Diet in Japan

Anyone have any advice on how to keep "paleo" diet?
    I eat mostly meat and fish and fruit and vegetables, some milk, etc.; I try to keep away from refined carbs. My "kitchen" is very small, so where do I go out to eat a good piece of meat or fish (about 6-8 oz.) with some salad, that's not too expensive? Seems everywhere I go is either cheap noodles/rice/potatoes, etc., which I don't eat, or else it's very expensive beef. I guess sushi or sashimi are fine, but price becomes an issue for the quantity I need per meal. A typical sushi meal of 1500 yen is not big enough to satisfy.

The only thing I can think of is going to yaki tori places all the time!

What is the most economical way to eat paleo or approximate diet in Japan? Are there places that just serve a good piece of meat with some salad? I guess I will start cooking, I see that fish is relatively cheap in supermarkets, but I'd rather not cook too much. Or is it impossible to keep a paleo diet without paying through the nose.

I went to izakaya last night it was great, sardine sashimi, cod soft roe, etc., but the portions were so small. Eating out is all either very small portions or huge portions of udon, etc.

Learn to cook at home and brown bag it.

If you are low on the cooking skills, even the Y100 stores have a range of tinned fish included sardines (iawashi), mackerel (saba), and salmon.

And, if you want to prepare a large batch of stew or whatever else you can handle, chicken breast is especially inexpensive in Japan. You should check out the Hanamasa stores in Tokyo/Kanto.

Some fast food restaurants offer some low-grade protein choices (albeit with high salt & fat). Chicken McNuggets at McDonald's, for example. Or, KFC. Japanese convenience stores also offer their own sodium-rich versions of fried chicken that some consider addictive.

Comment

Originally posted by mishima1970 View Post
      Anyone have any advice on how to keep "paleo" diet?
      I eat mostly meat and fish and fruit and vegetables, some milk, etc.; I try to keep away from refined carbs. My "kitchen" is very small, so where do I go out to eat a good piece of meat or fish (about 6-8 oz.) with some salad, that's not too expensive? Seems everywhere I go is either cheap noodles/rice/potatoes, etc., which I don't eat, or else it's very expensive beef. I guess sushi or sashimi are fine, but price becomes an issue for the quantity I need per meal. A typical sushi meal of 1500 yen is not big enough to satisfy.

The only thing I can think of is going to yaki tori places all the time!

What is the most economical way to eat paleo or approximate diet in Japan? Are there places that just serve a good piece of meat with some salad? I guess I will start cooking, I see that fish is relatively cheap in supermarkets, but I'd rather not cook too much. Or is it impossible to keep a paleo diet without paying through the nose.

I went to izakaya last night it was great, sardine sashimi, cod soft roe, etc., but the portions were so small. Eating out is all either very small portions or huge portions of udon, etc.
      Err.... paleo diet does not include salt or milk, so I guess you already ____ed up.

Further, yakitori has an amble amount of sugar in it, so.... no luck there either.

Learn how to cook. We're not cavemen here (pun).

Comment

Originally posted by Trichophyton-in-my-pants View Post
        Err.... paleo diet does not include salt or milk, so I guess you already ____ed up.

Further, yakitori has an amble amount of sugar in it, so.... no luck there either.

Learn how to cook. We're not cavemen here (pun).
        I keep a paleo-like diet, you can do your own tweaks, and there's disagreement about whether to include dairy. The point isn't to copy literally what cavemen ate (like honey, e.g.) but to mimic the metabolic milieu of paleolithic man to get hard muscle, etc.

But you don't have to be a freak about it, I occasionally have some potatoes or rarely even sugar and it's fine, I also drink sometimes...the point is to avoid regularly eating certain bad things.

Comment

As for learning to cook I have a typical very small Japanese apt., so even with exhaust in the "kitchen" how can I cook mackerel etc. every day and not have the whole place smell of this.

Someone ought to start a "meat stand" in Tokyo. Like yakitori but with greater selection.

I actually like liver skewers from yakitori.

Comment

Sooooo. Paleo...ya can't eat rice and stuff right?
            Or pasta or bread....
            Man. I would hate to do that.

Yeah You can do it easily in Tokyo I'm sure. They sell paleo ready to eats at every conbini.
            (It's what the anorexic chicks in Shibuya eat)

Why would you do that? Are you a big fatty?

Comment

Hard to sympathsize with someone on such a stupid diet....

natto
              tofu
              fresh fruits
              salad

...will help you get through the day, but I would hardly call that a life...

Comment

Originally posted by Call_It_Like_Eye_See_It View Post
                Hard to sympathsize with someone on such a stupid diet....

natto
                tofu
                fresh fruits
                salad

...will help you get through the day, but I would hardly call that a life...
                They were kinda..monkeys 2 million years ago so they did have the technologies for even tofu!
                (but they did have the technologies to make a big roast beast so that's something)

Really..paleo..as much meat as u can eat...that's not to bad...
                The only people I know who have done it though are tanks and it's just another desperate grasp.

Don't eat fries, donuts, cookies or cake. The 4 point plan to not being fat.

Comment

Hangon..wait O.P.. so this paleo thing.. no croissants?
                  cheese?
                  Just meat and veggies and fruit?
                  Can you eat sausages?
                  smoked salmon?

Like, the early Paleolithicans got by on jumping on things and eating them or eating the remains of stuff when the lions got full.

and then they died when they were like, 17.....

Comment

Originally posted by twelvedown View Post
                    ...and then they died when they were like, 17.....
                    Maybe from protein-overdose induced kidney stones.

Comment

The middle way is the best way.

"diet" is "die" with "T".

Comment

Originally posted by twelvedown View Post

Like, the early Paleolithicans got by on jumping on things and eating them or eating the remains of stuff when the lions got full.

and then they died when they were like, 17.....

OMG that made me laugh!!!!!!

Sorry OP I don't have an answer......I too would love to eat a diet with less sugar, more multi grains (Eg. brown bread or multi grain bread, not the white crap all the time!!), but unfortuneatly it's kinda hard to do here.

Comment

Originally posted by crazy1 View Post
                          OMG that made me laugh!!!!!!

Sorry OP I don't have an answer......I too would love to eat a diet with less sugar, more multi grains (Eg. brown bread or multi grain bread, not the white crap all the time!!), but unfortuneatly it's kinda hard to do here.
                          Ja, like crazy1 I presume you are a bit inaka based. for real...buy a breadmaker and have good bread.

Comment

There seems to be some confusion about what a paleo diet is. This is a good start:
                            http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

It is a healthier diet than the modern diet.

For those of you who claim that cavemen had low life expectancy, etc., yes, but was that because of diet or because they died young in dangerous hunts or fights? Skeletal evidence shows hunter-gatherers were tall, robust, quite healthy, compared to farming populations where everyone became very short, had bad teeth, poor health, etc.

Today pastoral tribes and peoples that live almost exclusively on animal products and fats are often extremely healthy, especially compared to citizens of modern countries that eat a toxic diet of vegetable fats, sugars, and processed carbs.

Comment

Originally posted by mishima1970 View Post
                              There seems to be some confusion about what a paleo diet is. This is a good start:
                              http://www.archevore.com/get-started/
                              So...basically the way most Japanese people eat, minus the rice.
                              Which, in my family, we eat about 5-600 grams anyway.
                              The kids eat anko-pan sometimes, and we love curry.

The rest is natto, veggies, greens, tubers, fruit fish, eggs and red meat once a week.
                              Lots of miso products such as Tofu.
                              and some other healthy junk.

But sorry, won't give up beer.

Comment

Working...
                              X