Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Top

Collapse

Why is there so much bad English in Japan?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Why is there so much bad English in Japan?

    For a country that was occupied by the American military for 7 years and frequently does business with American, British, Austrailian and European countries why is the level of English here so horrible? I met a few guys that taught at the English schools here and they seemed like they had no business speaking, let alone teaching, the English language.

  • #2
    re: Why is there so much bad English in Japan?

    Originally posted by coolgaijin View Post
    For a country that was occupied by the American military for 7 years and frequently does business with American, British, Austrailian and European countries why is the level of English here so horrible? I met a few guys that taught at the English schools here and they seemed like they had no business speaking, let alone teaching, the English language.
    Because all the good ones stayed at home?

    Maybe you should stick with the Scots.

    Comment


    • #3
      Why? Because many English entertainer-teachers are totally incompetent and don't give a damn! With a few decent exceptions, I've never met a more self-entitled group of losers.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by NorthByNorthwest View Post
        Because all the good ones stayed at home?

        Maybe you should stick with the Scots.
        Interestingly enough, Scottish English is supposed to be the most easy to listen to.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by YokohamaTommy View Post
          Interestingly enough, Scottish English is supposed to be the most easy to listen to.

          Where did you get that one from?

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by coolgaijin View Post
            For a country that was occupied by the American military for 7 years and frequently does business with American, British, Austrailian and European countries why is the level of English here so horrible? I met a few guys that taught at the English schools here and they seemed like they had no business speaking, let alone teaching, the English language.
            Well, if you tell us where you're from and where they're from, it might shed some more light.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Since1990 View Post
              Where did you get that one from?
              I've read about this myself. American call centers were doing surveys to find out what bothered people the most, and one thing they came across was the Indian accent. So they did further surveys to figure out who they should use, and found that Scottish accents were the one people liked the most.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Effected After View Post
                I've read about this myself. American call centers were doing surveys to find out what bothered people the most, and one thing they came across was the Indian accent. So they did further surveys to figure out who they should use, and found that Scottish accents were the one people liked the most.
                But we're NOT all Americans, though, are we? Americanized Scottish accents, perhaps?
                Last edited by Since1990; 2012-04-16, 12:45 PM.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by coolgaijin View Post
                  For a country that was occupied by the American military for 7 years and frequently does business with American, British, Austrailian and European countries why is the level of English here so horrible? I met a few guys that taught at the English schools here and they seemed like they had no business speaking, let alone teaching, the English language.
                  Japanese people study English the way I study sumo.

                  Watch a bit.. listen to a bit.. do an occasional written quiz .. maybe an hour or so a week total..

                  Means I know a little about sumo..

                  I can't actually do sumo, though.

                  "hello, how are you?"
                  "I am fine thank you, and you?"
                  "I am great, thank you. How was your day?"
                  "............" (tilt of head.. blank expression)

                  Studied English this year.. might try tennis next year...

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Since1990 View Post
                    But we're NOT all Americans, though, are we? Americanized Scottish accents, perhaps?
                    Ever seen this commercial?
                    Best...EVER..(Even if you are not a R. Carlyle Fan, I can't take my ears off the screen!)

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Effected After View Post
                      I've read about this myself. American call centers were doing surveys to find out what bothered people the most, and one thing they came across was the Indian accent. So they did further surveys to figure out who they should use, and found that Scottish accents were the one people liked the most.

                      To be fair, that sounds as much like a rather tribal exclusivity or affectation more than anything due to the particular aesthetics of Scottish.

                      Also, I have a sneaky feeling call centre hires are from the Edinburgh area, the Borders, and maybe the west coast. Think Braveheart more than Braigh McGillicuddy.

                      An unwitting caller getting a Clyde or Highland accent might be forgiven for thinking they had just called rural Norway.

                      Still, a clear Scottish accent is a thing of beauty.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        My Scots grandfather had a wonderful toast, which he would unfailingly recite, just prior to his first sip of a fresh glass of "whuskey".
                        " Here's to it.
                        And if you get to it
                        and don't do it,
                        may you ne'er get to it,
                        to do it again."

                        Try that in a broad Scottish accent, when you're p!ssed. A great indicator of just how p!ssed you really are.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by YokohamaTommy View Post
                          Ever seen this commercial?
                          Best...EVER..(Even if you are not a R. Carlyle Fan, I can't take my ears off the screen!)


                          I'm sorry, I must have too much English blood in me to appreciate that. Never did like bag pipes, either It's funny, 'cause I am actually a half Scottish by decent..

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            the level is low because even if we teach them English 90% of the people have NO place to use English anyway. After class is over they go home or to the izakaya and they talk Japanese. ON the television everything is spoken/dubbed in Japanese too, its awful.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by rainbowtokyo View Post
                              Why? Because many English entertainer-teachers are totally incompetent and don't give a damn! With a few decent exceptions, I've never met a more self-entitled group of losers.

                              If you were Japanese, would you want to speak to someone like RainbowBright?

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X