X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New purchase camera mailed from USA to Japan

The FujiFilm XPro1 digital camera that I want is a few hundred dollars cheaper in USA than Japan. So I was debating doing an online purchase and having my parents mail it to me. My only fear is of the postman handing me a customs tax/tariff slip saying I own Y20,000 or something of that sort.
    I`m not sure if it would be a guarantee that I would have to pay something, or what exactly I should have my parents write on the customs form as to what the item is, or am I worrying too much and it`s a non-issue?

If it`s listed as a gift, not sure if that alone gets me out of the perceived view that I`m trying to import a Japanese camera that`s being sold in USA, when I could buy it here (but pay more).

Ideas???

Originally posted by frownsarefun View Post
    If it`s listed as a gift, not sure if that alone gets me out of the perceived view that I`m trying to import a Japanese camera that`s being sold in USA, when I could buy it here (but pay more).

Ideas???
    If its a personal item usually its not a problem, only when you try to import twenty or more will the radars go up. Buying a Japanese camera overseas is not a crime. Buying in bulk and shipping them back for profit is.

Comment

Generally not an issue, but if you are really worried, have it taken it out of the maker's box, wrap it in non-standard packaging materials, and have it labeled it used personal goods.

Mail the documentation separately.
      Last edited by trip_hop; 2012-05-07, 09:39 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by trip_hop View Post
        Generally not an issue, but if you are really worried, have it taken it out of the maker's box, wrap it in non-standard packaging materials, and have it labeled it used personal goods.
        And don't write its true value on the customs declaration label.

--

Comment

Originally posted by frownsarefun View Post
          The FujiFilm XPro1 digital camera that I want is a few hundred dollars cheaper in USA than Japan. So I was debating doing an online purchase and having my parents mail it to me. My only fear is of the postman handing me a customs tax/tariff slip saying I own Y20,000 or something of that sort.
          I`m not sure if it would be a guarantee that I would have to pay something, or what exactly I should have my parents write on the customs form as to what the item is, or am I worrying too much and it`s a non-issue?

Ideas???
          Be careful about sending it in the first place. How does the US deal with batteries in the mail? Here, I tried to mail my camera to the maker for repair and was refused by 2 p.o.s because it is not allowed to send a lithium battery through the post.

Comment

Working...
          X