• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Too much PLASTICS in Japan ??

No plastics in micro.
    No water bottles in freezer.
    No plastic wrap in micro.

Johns Hopkins has recently sent this out in their newsletters worth noting...
    This information is being circulated at Walter Reed Army Medical Center.

Dioxin Carcinogens cause cancer, especially breast cancer. Don't freeze
    your plastic water bottles with water as this also releases dioxins in the plastic.

Dr. Edward Fujimoto from Castle hospital was on a TV program explaining
    this health hazard. (He is the manager of the Wellness Program at the hospital.)

He was talking about dioxins and how bad they are for us.
    He said that we should not be heating our food in the microwave using plastic
    containers.

This applies to foods that contain fat. He said that the combination of fat,
    high heat and plastics re leases dioxins into the food and ultimately into the cells of the body.
    Dioxins are carcinogens and highly toxic to the cells of our bodies.
    Instead, he recommends using glass, Corning Ware, or ceramic containers for heating food.
    You get the same results, without the dioxins.

So such things as TV dinners, instant ramen and soups, etc., should be removed from the container and heated in something else.
    Paper isn't bad but you don't know what is in the paper.
    It's just safer to use tempered glass, Corning Ware, etc. He said we might remember when some of the fast food restaurants moved away from the foam containers to paper.
    The dioxin problem is one of the reasons.
    To add to this, Saran wrap placed over foods as they are nuked, with the
    high heat, actually drips poisonous toxins into the food, use paper towels.
    Pass this on to your family & friends & those that are important in you life.
    I always suspected all that plastic in Japan was bad for me,,, but now we know for sure.

Ignore announcements by Email

Dont worry Westsan
    The email going around about dioxin in plastic drink bottles is the same one as lead in lipstick. Save Australian consumer affairs website to your favorites list for future reference unless anyone can suggest a better site. Like all major health threats, announcements that you hear via email.....all rubbish!
    Dont you think the newspapers and every TV station would get hold of it before we did.
    Heres the link below, and keep filling those water bottles at home. Nothing more important than drinking water, fresh or heated or frozen

There is some truth in heating fats though
    and Dioxins are most definitely not good for us

http://www.choice.com.au/viewArticle...tid=100008&p=1

Comment

Sorry Boydie, but do you have a link debunking the claim that freezing PET bottles does not react badly chemically (since that link only disproves DEHAs in Oz PET bottles), or a link showing research into the type of PET used in Japan, not that in Australia?

Here's a link to one of the original pieces of research. Note it mentions DEHAs as a secondary problem, and by far the more prevalent problem is the endocrine disrupter BPA, which leaches into water when the PET is deformed, scratched, heated etc.

http://www.seventhgeneration.com/sit...099&ct=97028#3

And what about the rest of the claims? One of the no-nos to get Food Hygiene Certificate in the UK is microwaving food in contact with Saran wrap or generic cling films.

I don't think these things are worth shortening your life over worrying about, but on the other hand, I sure as hell never microwave anything in any 100 yen tupperware either!
      Last edited by koyamabushi; 2005-04-04, 11:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by koyamabushi
        I don't think these things are worth shortening your life over worrying about, but on the other hand, I sure as hell never microwave anything in any 100 yen tupperware either!
        Yeah, not worth worrying about too much BUT when you take a look at a microwave "safe" plastic container that's been used over and over in the microwave for cooking it's easy to guess that maybe some of the material is going into the food...@now I dunno about you guys, but I like my food minus the petrochemicals...

I try to use ceramic or glass like Pyrex for microwaving and baking food. I happen to stumble on this one website the other day that went into all kinds of stuff about toxic materials and how it's especially bad for kids. It's about schools, but there's an interesting section on plastics and cooking. It's very long, so I only skimmed through some of it and read the bit on plastic etc.
        http://www.chebucto.ns.ca/Education/CASLE/append3.html

They suggest:

Cooking pans/pots, suggested order of preference:
        1.Enamel, Pyrex, high tech ceramic
        2.stainless steel
        3.cast iron
        Avoid Teflon, other teflon-like surface, and aluminum

Cooking utensils:
        Avoid plastic utensils, especially for cooking.

Comment

Westsan is for being Anti-Plasticite!!!!

Originally posted by westsan
          I always suspected all that plastic in Japan was bad for me,,, but now we know for sure.
          Always you are being so negativity towards Japanese Plastic Fantastic Peoploids.
          I am giving Plastic Examples of your Plastic Posts and Threads:
          "I want to trade in my Plastic Japanese Wife for Western Plastic Woman"
          "Why are Japanese Plastic Women so Stupid?"
          "Japanese Plastic People are to for because we are speaking Plastic English"
          "My _____ is Fantastic in Plastic"
          "I am conniving and confoobabulating many more Plastic Women than Plastic Josh, the Brown Dirt Plastic Cowboy"

I am sick. Are you knowing why you are always so disgusting and repulsive to Plastic Peoples? Why they have only Plastic Conversations with Plastic You?
          It is because the Plastic Womens you are making with are bought in Adult Fun Store. These are not for being Real Peoples, but Dutch Peoples and Wives. Do You Know this? Go outside, you spelunkerian freakboy. That is where non-Plastic, non-inflatable, non-reheatable Womens is being.
          I think more and morer that maybe you are being Plastic Brained. Perhaps-ing this is why is taking you Ten Fooking Years to pass butt easy Plastic Language Test.
          Stop being Anti-Plasticite.
          I am being made from 100% GooplyBooply

Comment

did someone say plastic?

I'm a barbie girl, in a barbie world
            Life in plastic, it's fantastic!
            you can brush my hair, undress me everywhere
            Imagination, life is your creation
            Come on Barbie, let's go party!

I'm a barbie girl, in a barbie world
            Life in plastic, it's fantastic!
            you can brush my hair, undress me everywhere
            Imagination, life is your creation

I'm a blond bimbo girl, in a fantasy world
            Dress me up, make it tight, I'm your dolly
            You're my doll, rock'n'roll, feel the glamour in pink,
            kiss me here, touch me there, hanky panky...
            You can touch, you can play, if you say: "I'm always yours"

Make me walk, make me talk, do whatever you please
            I can act like a star, I can beg on my knees
            Come jump in, bimbo friend, let us do it again,
            hit the town, fool around, let's go party

Oh, I'm having so much fun!
            Well Barbie, we're just getting started
            Oh, I love you Ken!

Comment

I found this: http://www.snopes.com/toxins/plastic.htm

Apparently the only one that might be of concern is the saran wrap thing. If it's not sold as "microwave safe."

Granted, this is in the US, so your mileage may vary.

Comment

Silly Robot!

Everybody knows that microwaves aren't safe!

Thanks for the link, dude. Cool avatar.

Comment

I guess because we don't know the quality of most plastics these days, it's probably still better to steer clear of them for the microwave. Ceramics and ovenproof glass are generally pretty inert, so they should be a much better option (and will outlast even the best microwave proof plastic containers).

Aside from potentially causing cancer, there may be some other unpleasant stuff in the plastic:

Many reports have been published for quite some time now suggesting that environmental contamination, specifically plastics in the water, has caused lack of sexual differentiation among fish and a loss of their capacity to procreate. Warnings went out to mothers that baby boys should be protected from such risks by avoidance of plastics, including such basic items as baby bottles and perhaps even teething rings and plastics in diapers. While no proof seems to exist that the danger is that great for males, what I have seen over the 30 years that I have been active in the holistic health field is a reduction in fertility, this to the extent that at least a quarter of couples marrying today cannot take for granted that they will be able to have children without some dramatic intervention. This is probably due to a host of hormone disrupting chemicals to which most of us are exposed in greater or lesser measure. While this alone is grounds for serious concern, of even greater consequence is the increased incidence of cancer, especially among a younger and younger sector of the population.
                  http://www.kitchendoctor.com/healthc...sestrogen.html

Comment

I think it's pretty crazy how everythings wrapped a zillion times here. The amount of packaging that's used is ridiculous. I don't think it's necessary to individually wrap every biscuit, chocolate or whatever. In my area they try to restrict garbage output by making you buy special garbages bags. If you don't use them, and put your rubbish out in something else, the garbage man will put a little label on the item saying they can't pick it up..... sometimes people will just put some little individual piece of rubbish out, and they put a label on each little thing. I bet the garbos hate doing that!! It must be such a pain...

What they need to do is persuade the companies to reduce the amount of packaging (especially plastic)!! I always tie up all the cardboard and paper bits and pieces and put it all out on paper rubbish day. That helps cut down the normal rubbish quite a lot, and so far they always took it.

Comment

Working...
                    X