X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• eating in restaurants vs eating at home

when i lived in korea it was cheaper to eat korean food at restaurants than it was to buy it at the grocery store and cook it yourself. in my opinion thats one of the best aspects of korea. western food was always more expensive either in restaurants or shopping for it yourself.

how does japan compare? which is more expensive - eatin' out or eatin' in?

Eating at restaurants is MUCH more expensive, especially for dinner. I guess the bento that you get at convenience stores may be cheaper - but they are less than impressive.

Comment

Originally posted by dipchick
      Eating at restaurants is MUCH more expensive, especially for dinner
      really? when i was in japan for a week in november i didnt find it so bad. i paid about 700-800 yen for most of my meals, which were decent quality tempura, udon and/or sushi meals. is that expensive?

Comment

I guess I'm just too old for "decent quality"... I want "excellent" food when I go out. I can make "decent" food at home...

I'd say I rarely spend less than Y5000 per person if I go out at night, but I'm at an age now when I can insist on good wine and good food.

I can get a decent lunch for Y800 - Y1200.

Comment

Originally posted by dipchick
          I guess I'm just too old for "decent quality"... I want "excellent" food when I go out. I can make "decent" food at home...

I'd say I rarely spend less than Y5000 per person if I go out at night, but I'm at an age now when I can insist on good wine and good food.

I can get a decent lunch for Y800 - Y1200.
          well excuse me

Comment

If you're living alone, it's not really worthwile to make food yourself. You can find decent Japanese food for 500-900 yen, like Meshiyadon.

Comment

Originally posted by Frungy
              If you're living alone, it's not really worthwile to make food yourself. You can find decent Japanese food for 500-900 yen, like Meshiyadon.
              Agreed. Hit the local shokudou/yakitori/ramen/okonomiyaki place, get a decent cheap meal, and make friends all at the same time. I find cooking for one a little sad, and even if it is decent or even delicious (on that rare occassion) if there's no one there to share it with, it loses something. Eating is social, and going out to a local place for a bite to eat is far better than sitting at home eating a nuked bentou in front of the boob tube.

Comment

I think the lunch set menu's are the way to go. Get your socializing then. The price is usually under 1500 yen for salad, soup, main course, something sweet and coffee.
                Dinner is usually a rip off. For the same food you pay at least double or triple. For that price I can go to a higher quality place and enjoy some fine dining. I found the most delicious local sushi-ya which tends to run me about 3000 for eats without beer. His prices are reasonable and the quality of the eating is world class.
                If I cook I tend to make alot and then freeze it, such as meat sauce. Come home boil some noodles grab a frozen sauce and defrost. Voila you are eating and can enjoy relax time while the food cooks.

Comment

China V. Japan

WOW,
                  This is so true. When I live in China for two years I almost never cooked at home. I think I would cook at home maybe once a month at best. Even when I did cook it would be to impress the locals. Once I moved to Japan it turned around. I go out to eat only on the weekends. Now, I cook at home almost everyday. I have actual turn into a great cook. It has actually been really fun. I just get on the Internet and print out my favorite recipes of foods. I will print out maybe six different recipes for the same dish and mix and match them to make the best of all of them. I actually have learned to cooked Chinese, Mexican, and French. In addition to the food I enjoyed as a child. The bottom line is in China it was so cheap to eat out it cost like 300 Yen a meal or about 4000 Yen a week for eating out. Where as in Japan it would be like 20,000 Yen a week. Plus in China food was cheap at stores too. Beef, chicken and pork were supper cheap. On the other hand, Chicken is the only meat cheap here. Wow, I have made chicken in a thousand ways. After a year in Japan I am finally buying beef and seafood.

Comment

Working...
                  X