Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Top Module
Collapse

Should The Government Have A Say In The Terry Schiavo Issue?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should The Government Have A Say In The Terry Schiavo Issue?

I feel the government has far extended it's power in how families choose to handle their loved ones. Terry Schiavo should be allowed to die as she requested with dignity and grace. Bush will sign a special law in power to keep Terry alive ! The religious right needs to stop !!!!!

And who, pray tell, is this Terry geezer? More importantly, why do you assume that we know him? Talk about American ethnocentric arrogance...

Comment

Originally posted by jonnyrobinson
      And who, pray tell, is this Terry geezer? More importantly, why do you assume that we know him? Talk about American ethnocentric arrogance...
      Actually, it was headlined on BBC news, so back down with your insults. She is a now very famous case in Florida because her parents are good at making noise. Her brain happens to have mostly disappeared and been replaced by spinal fluid, and her husband wants to take out her feeding tubes and let her die, but her parents have made a mess of things. Fortunately judges are doing the right thing, but the federal govt. wants to make a bill just for this woman.

Obviously this should all be no one's business, except for the familes, but that's not the way the world works anymore. Obviously the govt. is overstepping thier power, and the sad thing is that many Americans seem to want the govt. to interfere in our day to day lives... What is America coming to?

Comment

Originally posted by jonnyrobinson
        First, if you don't know about it, Google it and find out or just ignore it instead of reacting so rashly and spitefully. There ARE Americans on this board that one might assume mcalpine was talking to. Second, even a cursory read of the pronouns in the OP would tell you it's a her, not a 'him'. Third, you should avoid using words that are too big for you. 'Ethnocentric', for example, does not apply here because Americans are not an ethnic group and in any case are ethnically the same as many other gaijin here from other countries. 'Ethnocentric' rather describes the shallow anti-Japan rants you often fill these threads with. Fourth, it's generally not nice to refer to people who have been comatose and defenseless for 15 yrs. as 'geezer'. The arrogance is all yours, troll.

The religious right/Bush bros. don't care about Terry Schiavo or her family. It's another power play against the courts that they use as an excuse to talk about right to life. Hoard more power for the executive while making a good show of faux compassion for middle America -- two birds with one stone.
        Last edited by aha yes; 2005-03-20, 10:12 PM.

Comment

Aha yes, absolutely correct about this Terry Schiavo case. Of course they are using this as a convenient pretext to set precedent for their anti-abortion crusade. It's nothing more than grandstanding and consolidation of constituent base, no doubt.

The other interesting element that comes into play here is the right's absolute and unabashed hypocrisy when it comes to the issue of state rights vs. federal authority. (For those that don't know, the issue of state rights vs. federal authority is an ever-present theme in our country's history. There is a reason it is called the UNITED STATES of America - the original idea was that each state was to be a politically sovereign entitiy, for the most part, with very little federal oversight of state policy, legislature, etc.) By and large, the right is always railing on and on about the importance of state's rights and the importance of upholding state court decisions with as little federal court intervention as possible. But, as soon as it becomes politically convenient for them, or a state court decision doesn't mesh with their plan for the way things should be, they go crying to the federal courts, or COMPLETELY overstep their bounds as members of the legislative branch in an attempt to interfere with the judicial.

Another example of this was Bush v Gore back in 2000 when the Republicans pushed what was unquestionably a Florida state matter up to the Republican controlled supreme court, where Rehnquist and crew immediately went against decades of their own pro-state precedents and overturned the Florida state court decision, allowing Bush to win the presidency. If / when we get a Dem controlled Supreme Court, they will certainly reap what they sowed in 2000.

Don't get me wrong, the Dems are equally as vile. Barbara Boxer's grandstanding during the Rice confirmation hearings sickened me, for example. But in this Schiavo case, the Republicans are out of line in typical fashion.

PS Madaxxman - according to an informal CNN poll, 81% of Americans DO NOT think that the government is doing the right thing in this case. I think for the most part, we are extremely sensitive to government interference in our lives, probably more so than any other country on earth. When was the last time you heard of a Ruby Ridge / Waco / Oklahoma Federal Building incident in any other country? Just my opinion, though.
          Last edited by Hyakushiki; 2005-03-20, 11:44 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Hyakushiki
            PS Madaxxman - according to an informal CNN poll, 81% of Americans DO NOT think that the government is doing the right thing in this case. I think for the most part, we are extremely sensitive to government interference in our lives, probably more so than any other country on earth. When was the last time you heard of a Ruby Ridge / Waco / Oklahoma Federal Building incident in any other country? Just my opinion, though.
            Didn't know. It's good to hear that 81% at least think the government should stay out of others affairs. The rhetoric that the Republicans are spewing on capital hill though makes it seem like they think they are doing the will of the Americans as opposed to using a tragic situation to push their politics. They really make me sick.

Comment

An informal CNN poll, huh? Hmmm.... well judging by the US Presidential election result, and the Senate and House results, I'd say a majority of Americans are clearly in favor of the Republican party and the values it represents. They voted for 'em, so in a way they're getting what they deserve...becareful what you wish for, you might just get it!

Comment

To Clarify: While Americans may be traditionally wary of federal intervention in mnay aspects of their lives, a MAJORITY of them clearly want the federal government to interfere in cases of a moral/ religious nature, such as gay marriage, abortion, euthanasia, etc. Kind of like having your cake and eating it, sherman tank style...

Comment

Perhaps the question should be "when will the government find something more important to concentrate on ?" How about social security or the war on terror ?

I saw an interview with George WIll today (for those who don't know him he is almost the perfect example of staunch-conservatism in the US) Well anyway George has some serious misgivings with the present tack of the debate on the Hill. It sets an ugly precedent. He also predicted that it will come back to haunt the conserative movement at some point in the future.

If you are googling I would suggest you look up the process of Filibuster. Which is one of the tactics of the minority to delay passage of bills into law. Nuturing filibuster will have significant consequences.

Mr Will also stated that this case is the most litigated right to die case in US history. Its not going away anytime soon. I am happy to see it being debated here, but worry that archtype conservatism and bleeding heart liberals will further sow the seeds of discord in America by continuing the debate in the public halls of Washington DC.

Much bigger fish to fry. Lets hope they get on the with the business of avoiding national bankruptcy,

Comment

Ugggh. This one really bugs. I think the critical point was mentioned by Madmaxxam, which is that Schiavo's brain has mostly disintegrated into spinal fluid. She basically has already ceased to exist as an autonomous entity capable of even interacting with her caretakers. She and her husband had discussed her wishes (he at any rate claims to have no doubts as to what they were), so you'd think her parents would just let go. But no. They say she responds to them.

Comment

And of course, you know better than her parents, right? Come to think of it, why don't you determine the fate of all such people, seeing as you're so confident in your opinions

Comment

You have an agenda just as much as the religious right does. Stop acting as if your opinions are objective 'common sense'. Last time I checked, doctors were supposed to help people, not kill 'em.

Comment

jonny,
                          She's a vegetable. Nobody's opinion -- it's a fact. After 15 yrs. of steady deterioration, what's a doctor gonna do for her?

BTW, can you really not wait more than 2 f*ckin' mins. to collect your thoughts and post more than 3 sentences at a time, or are you just trying to run up your post count here in some vain attempt at legitimizing your ignorance through sheer quantity?

Comment

I finally get to respond to my own thread.

Thanks for the feedback everyone.

Anyway, the bible beating conservatives should know better than to use Terry as a pin-up poster child for euthenasia. Terry's husband should have a legal say in what happens to her. She is no longer the legal responsibility of her parents. This action violates one of the strongest principals of marriage in the bible: A man shall leave his mother and father and cleave unto his wife, and the two shall become one flesh. This passage can be interperatated anyway you wish but the crux of it is simple; Terry's husband should have the final say ! Something the conservative should know better considering their appeal factor with most religious zealots.

Dr. Jack Kavorkian , a pioneer in assisted suicide has been jailed for empowering people to take their own lives. Dr. Kavorkian has never killed anybody, but yet he is a criminal.
                            Whether then let Terry die of starvation allow her the means to end her own life with dignity !

I have never seen congress approve a bill so fast ! This is scary ! The Terry Law !
                            Last edited by mcalpine; 2005-03-22, 12:46 AM.

Comment

Johnny !

What's the best part about eating a vegetable !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Putting it back in the wheelchair....hahaha...okay, McTojo popped out of me !
                              Last edited by mcalpine; 2005-03-22, 01:09 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X