X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• China's Olympics

I wonder how the IOC views the recent treatment of foreign nationals by the chinese people ? Certainly not a ringing endorsement of "international sport and goodwill".
    At least the PRC seems to have backed off its domestic mob policy. Perhaps it was the 8% of the PRC GDP owned by Japan ? or otherwise.
    Its still good to see the whole thing cool down a bit.

more protests

i am pretty sure more protests are planned for the beginning of may.

from obviousnews.com

http://www.obviousnews.com/breakingn...s-5510609.html

"The Communist Youth League issued a circular urging young people to use their "patriotic passions" on actions that served the country and properly commemorate the 86th anniversary of the May Fourth Movement, the Peoplees Daily reported on Wednesday.

Named for the day of a major protest in 1919 against the Versailles Treaty after World War One that handed Germanyes territorial concessions in China over to Japan, May Fourth was the first mass movement in modern Chinese history and is credited with giving birth to modern Chinese nationalism. "

and you know what i say about the olympics.....broken record, yes, i am....

BOYCOTT BEIJING!

http://www.rsf.org/rubrique.php3?id_rubrique=174

Comment

yeah screw the 2008 Beijing Olympics. They don't deserve 'em...

Comment

wha?

I was pretty shocked when I heard they got the 2008 Olympics to start with. If only Japan boycotts the Olympics I don't think it'll do any good. Need a few other countries to boycott as well.

Comment

Athens? Sydney?

I was thinking about this too. If protests continued would the IOC do something? Change venues? When would they have to decide by? And if not Beijing, where, Athens or Sydney?

Comment

I doubt the IOC would change anything since the rampant graft and corruption has already paved the way to Beijing. Perhaps the next time around if the Japanese and the Chinese are both bidding on the games... The Japanese can politely suggest a review of how the Chinese treat private property and personal safety of foreign nationals.

Comment

DonPaulo has remarked: "I wonder how the IOC views the recent treatment of foreign nationals by the chinese people ? Certainly not a ringing endorsement of "international sport and goodwill"."

A few points from this Troll heart of mine:

The 2008 Olympics will go ahead as planned. I would be willing to bet a large amount of money on this if anyone is willing to take me up on the bet. They are not going to strip the Olympics from China on the count of a couple a minor political squabbles with Japan. Remember, there were enormous political disputes related to the 1980 Olympics in Moscow and the 1984 Olympics in LA, but both Games went ahead.

A more honorable approach for Japan, if it is really worried by the situation in China, would be to boycott the 2008 Olympics.After all, the USA boycotted the Moscow Olympics (1980), and the USSR responded by boycotting the LA Olympics (1984).

There are tons of countries around the world that have disputes with other countries, which might disqualify them from holding the Olympic Games if you were to be strict about it. For example, Japan has pretty strict rules towards the foreigners that live in Japan. On top of that, Japan has ongoing disputes with four of its neighbours: Russia, South Korea, North Korea and China. With such a bad track record, how could Japan ever be allowed to hold the Olympic Games? With so many enemies, who would come to compete at a Japanese Olympics Games?

Comment

apparently lots of countries...

1964 Tokyo, Japan

The 1964 Tokyo Games were the first Olympics to be held in an Asian country.

Due to apartheid, South Africa was banned from entering in Olympic competition. The strongest image of the 1964 Tokyo Games was that of the final torchbearer at the Opening Ceremony. Nineteen-year-old Yoshinori Sakai was born on the 6th August 1945 in Hiroshima, the day it was devastated by an atomic bomb.

Computers were used for the first time to organise statistics.

Comment

Troll Punching!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Originally posted by Hei Dao
                  A few points from this Troll heart of mine:

The 2008 Olympics will go ahead as planned. I would be willing to bet a large amount of money on this if anyone is willing to take me up on the bet.

With so many enemies, who would come to compete at a Japanese Olympics Games?
                  Okay, I'll take you up on it: I bet 60 wan. For moneygrubbing people like you is big money, bebby!!! You love me long time, I gib you 64 wan. How Now, Hei Dao!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Also, on that last point, I would say the most numerous competitors would be the Chinese "students", err, pardon me, in this instance, "athletes": they could do "bait" (when pronounced by people who can actually learn Japanese properly without cutting off the end of every MF'in word, the word is "baito") in between "events", thereby earning valuable foreign exchange to take back to the underdeveloped rathole shiitbox country they so willingly burn foreign embassies for.

Just an opinion.

Comment

one is of course free to draw ones own conclusions (even trolls)
                    Betting money on a olympic cancellation should pay in the neighborhood of 1000-1

So for every yen I put down Hei now has to cough up 1000 yen.... the odds are still sucker bets but at least you might draw a few wagers. Now if you up it to say 10000-1 now you are talking.

I bet 1 yen, kei-bow bets 10000 yen. I reckon I can do that.
                    So say-jow how about it ? 1yen for your 10000 ?

Comment

Working...
                    X