X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does "Showa Day" deserve a thread?

Havn't seen a thread here yet on the creation of "Showa Day", formerly known as Greenery Day.

You can read an editorial from the Daily Yomiuri here:
    http://www.yomiuri.co.jp/newse/20050514wo81.htm

I thought this sentence in that editorial telling: "Showa was a special era, an epoch in Japanese history, when the nation entered World War II, lost it, recovered from its devastation and achieved a miraculous economic development. "

The use of the verb "entered" is ripe with meaning....

I'm hoping some thought will be applied to this subject (and not just the usually ranting....)

-ft

As the Naturalist, you can be certain that I mourn the loss of Green Day. My hippie Japanese friends will be bummed.

Is there a Meiji Day? And how exactly will Showa Day be observed? Maybe with a re-enactment of the emperor's address to the Japanese people following Japan's surrender. No really, what does the government want people to get out of the renamed day? And will the average Japanese person notice or care?

Comment

Does "Showa Day" deserve a thread?

No. It doesn't.

Comment

I fully support the day being named Əa̓

Comment

How about Fat, Drunk and Stoopid Dingly Hat Day??

Originally posted by J.T
          I fully support the day being named Əa̓
          Maybe they should just call it Dead Old J=P Day?

PS why do you hate the Japanese so much? Given your relative fluency, I would think it would take quite a bit of negative energy to learn the language of a people you so obviously despise. Mind you, I guess you finally got laid a couple of times, so that must have helped as a motivation, eh?

Comment

Well the link doesn`t work . However, "Showa day" was actually the Emperor`s birthday (Showa)the name became Greenery day after he died. The reason for it was and is stupid, but better Greenery day. But way do we as foreigners give a crap how the Japanese want to honor their past emperors or people? America has supid names too for example Columbus day Or Washington`s Birthday. I can imagine that other countries do too.
            But back to "Showa Day" Since it falls at the end of April and basically next to Golden week the Jpanese powers to be decided to use it and give the drones another day off adding to Colden week.The people like it because it is a day off. No big deal, I think.

Comment

PS why do you hate the Japanese so much? Given your relative fluency, I would think it would take quite a bit of negative energy to learn the language of a people you so obviously despise. Mind you, I guess you finally got laid a couple of times, so that must have helped as a motivation, eh?[/QUOTE]

Kuro-chan,

What makes you think I dislike the Japanese? I actually like Japan and the Japanese, and the interesting life I had over there. What I won't do though is apologize for them, and I will point out their foibles, and I will have a laugh at their expense, just as they do to us. I also like to educate people with less experience in Japan than ourselves as to how what to look out for, and how to deal with various situations that will arise, and how to deal with the Japanese on your own terms, not theirs. I will be back in Japan for a visit at the end of the year, and will be looking forward to some good food, beer and wenches. Have a nice weekend, mate.

Comment

Well fer chrisssakes then...............

THEN STOP USING THAT INVIDIOUS 3 LETTER EPITHET, you Koala sperm sucking marsupial.

PS Have a good weekend too.
                I'M going wenching now!

Comment

Originally posted by kurogane
                  THEN STOP USING THAT INVIDIOUS 3 LETTER EPITHET, you Koala sperm sucking marsupial.

PS Have a good weekend too.
                  I'M going wenching now!
                  Kuro-chan,

Hope you enjoyed your wenching. Will be out tonight myself with the same goal in mind, hopefully I'll meet up with a cute little Japnese girl. Wish me luck.

Comment

Be nice, Big Guy

Originally posted by J.T
                    Kuro-chan,

Hope you enjoyed your wenching. Will be out tonight myself with the same goal in mind, hopefully I'll meet up with a cute little Japnese girl. Wish me luck.
                    You won't be calling her a J== will you?

Anyways, Good Luck, my man. Hope you find the right one. I'm still looking. Window shopping can be fun, though.

Comment

Working...
                    X