X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stop being Ashamed of being American

I am getting so tired of all of these people putting the U.S. down. It is time that Americans be proud of who they are and of all our great accomplishments in the world. Yes, I know I going get those people say American start wars and persecuted people for our own self-interest. I know my government made Cuba, Iran, the former Iraq/ Afghanistan/ and many other country into what they are today, and that we created mess all over the world. We also rebuilt Japan, Western, and Eastern Europe. We invented the plane, the CD player, DVD, TV, found the cure for Polo, invent the modern Trauma system/ER system, the light bulb, the radio, computer, internet, and countless other inventions. We are the country of Martin Luther King, Benjamin Franklin, Truman, and countless other great leaders and scientist.

Now I ask my fellow Americans and those around me WHY ARE WE ASHAMED. We have done far more good then bad. We create more and free more. We invited countless human inventions that have increase the everyday life through the world.

While I may disagree with other country and even fellow Americans I support the rights and freedoms of others. Many immigrants came to American because they know they had the rights and abilities that could be found no were else in the world to conduct there scientist, technology, politics, and social system. For these reasons I believe that American is a great country. I am not Ashamed of being American nor should anyone else. Why are you proud of being an American?

Cali

Since you asked................................

Originally posted by california84
    For these reasons I believe that American is a great country. I am not Ashamed of being American nor should anyone else. Why are you proud of being an American?
    Cali
    I can say without fear, favour, or prejudice that I have never ever ever been proud to be an American.

Sometimes, though, one of the secretaries at work makes comments about my hairline, like, "Pretty soon his head is going to be American". I don't know what to make of that.

Confusedly Canehdeean,

Comment

Cali,

Look, I got no problem with you being proud to be an American. I got no problem with American pride provided it doesn't interfere with the rest of the world running as it should. What I do have a problem with is presenting fabrications and half truths as "facts".

We invented the plane
      Actually, the Wright brothers are credited with this but the actual invention and first flight was a few months before and it belonged to a German named Karl Jatho.
      the CD player
      Try the Dutch and Japanese, well a joint venture between Sony and Phillips.
      DVD
      Hitachi, JVC, Matsu____a, Mitsubishi, Philips, Pioneer, Sony, Thomson, Time Warner, and Toshiba.
      TV
      Well, Abbe Giovanna Caselli invented the "pantelegraph" which was a way to transmit information, in this case a picture, over a wire. Technically, it was the first TV.
      found the cure for Polo
      yeah well they're still playing that in England so it's not completely wiped out yet.
      invent the modern Trauma system/ER system
      Can't find any evidence on this. Please cite your sources.
      the light bulb
      Edison did have the patent on this but he didn't really invent it, he just bought the patent off the inventor and improved on it.
      The Arc light was created in England as was "Limelight" (used in theatres) and the first actual light bulb by some guy named "Swan".
      the radio
      Depending on how you look at this it was either Marconi, who was Italian and did the first test in Italy, the second test across the English Channel and the first transatlantic test between England and Newfoundland. Or it was Nikola Tesla, but he never was able to test it as his lab burned down. And while he was in the US, he was actually Serbian.
      computer
      Which computer are we talking about? The first was invented by the Chinese and it's called the "abacus". The first real computer would have been the "Analytical Engine" by Charles Babbage in England but he was never able to get it to work properly. The Brits then created the Manchester SSEM, followed by the Mark I in 1948 and 1949 respectively. The first US computer wasn't until the Univac came along in 1951.
      internet
      You mean ARPAnet. The internet grew out of the ARPAnet project.

Again, no problem with the entire patriotic thing. Just get your facts straight.
      Last edited by Skyknight; 2005-06-06, 12:38 AM.

Comment

invent the modern Trauma system/ER system

The U.S. Army invented the modern Trauma Stystem and Era during the Korean War.

The Departemnt of Defence invented the Internet.

The first succesful plane was the Wright Brother who were american.

We can argue about this and that, but American has done a lot of good. Why are we constantly put the U.S. down?

Comment

Originally posted by Skyknight

Actually, the Wright brothers are credited with this (and it was technically a powered glider). But the actual invention was a few years before and it belonged to the Germans.
          I think the Wright Brothers are credited with the first powered flight to a position that was higher or the same level from were they started.
          However it is arguable (though not proveable) that the completely crazy New Zealand inventor Richard Wright, flew a whole 6 months before the Wright Brothers. New Zealands isolation meant there was no way he could get the patient before the Wright Brothers, despite many eye witness acconts.

Edison did have the patent on this but he didn't really invent it, he just bought the patent off the inventor and improved on it.
          The Arc light was created in England as was "Limelight" (used in theatres) and the first actual light bulb by some guy named "Swan".
          Some sources paint Edison as a crook who stole other peoples ideas and patiented them to take credits. I can't back this up though.

Depending on how you look at this it was either Marconi, who was Italian and did the first test in Italy, the second test across the English Channel and the first transatlantic test between England and Newfoundland. Or it was Nikola Tesla, but he never was able to test it as his lab burned down. And while he was in the US, he was actually Serbian.
          Yes I heard Marconi was the inventor of radio too. I saw a program about his attempt to broadcast from Britain to Newfoundland.

Which computer are we talking about? The first was invented by the Chinese and it's called the "abacus". The first real computer would have been the "Analytical Engine" by Charles Babbage in England but he was never able to get it to work properly. The Brits then created the Manchester SSEM, followed by the Mark I in 1948 and 1949 respectively. The first US computer wasn't until the Univac came along in 1951.
          Ive actaully read a German invented the first programable computer just before the outbreak of WW2. Also the British did a lot to develop the computer during WW2 when they were trying to break the "engima" code used by German U-Boats. Most of the techniques used by America after the war were from advances made by the British (and Germans) and shared with their ally during the war.

America has indeed invented many great things but sometimes its hard to seperate who really "invented" something and who mearly "patented" it. Award for the cleverest inventors ever has to go to the Chinese however.

But I agree with Skyknight, America has done many great things for the world. For example, the US deserves a lot of credit for helping pick up the peices after WW2, and lending Europe and Japan a lot of money. Also during WW2, the lend-lease program of weapons, planes, tanks, etc, kept many beseiged Allied countries such as the USSR and the Britsh Commonwelth with "their heads above water" even before the US joined.

Nothing wrong with being proud of you homeland, wherever that may be.
          Last edited by JayJay; 2005-06-06, 12:52 AM.

Comment

found the cure for Polo
            yeah well they're still playing that in England so it's not completely wiped out yet.
            Nice post overall, but I enjoyed that part the most.

Comment

So my question to you is when do you want the U.S. to take action. When the first Gulf War was over everyone yelled we should have go Husan. International Organization, have be yelling about the treatment of women in Afghanistan. SO there for what do we do? When is war just? When do start one?

One last thing the computer was invented by the Department of the Navy in 1943 by Rear Admiral Grace Hopper's . The first computer can be seen in the Smithson Institute in Wa____ion D.C.

Comment

I've never really been a great fan of the Seppos, although there are many positive things that can be said about their country.
                Among the negatives-
                America is akin to a police state in a lot of ways (laws against everything, and severe penalties for even minor offences).
                It has far too many fundamentalist christians who want to tell everyone else how to live their lives. Far too much bloody moralising.
                It has a rather unintelligent man as president.

Comment

I think the main reason why people hate america so much at the moment is because they (especially the politicians) are the biggest hypocrites. America does so much to demonstrate how bad many other countries are, and paint a picture of such a perfect citizen that America is. Of course the rest of the world knows better.

How can an American president ask, "Why do they hate us so much when we are so good?"
                  http://www.isometry.com/usahate.html

If you go in for all the American propoganda then yes, you should be proud to be American, but unfortunately it's not the truth.

Basically though I think we are probably all hypocrites and all countries do things in their own self interest...

Comment

So my question to you is when do you want the U.S. to take action. When the first Gulf War was over everyone yelled we should have go Husan. International Organization, have be yelling about the treatment of women in Afghanistan. SO there for what do we do? When is war just? When do start one?
                    I would say when it involves you personally, or your country is threatened.
                    One last thing the computer was invented by the Department of the Navy in 1943 by Rear Admiral Grace Hopper's . The first computer can be seen in the Smithson Institute in Wa____ion D.C.
                    Uhm, I'm a bit of a computer geek here and I've studied the lineage of computers. While Grace Hopper did help (which was made at Harvard) she didn't invent it. And Grace joined the Naval Reserve in 1943, while the Mark 1 didn't come out until 1944. This was about 5 years after the Z1 was built in Germany, or 5 years after the inventor's lab burned down.

And while Skyknight seems to have gone out of his way to nitpick (although I did like the polo joke), he's right when he says the Analytical Engine was the first.

Originally posted by takenoko
                    How can an American president ask, "Why do they hate us so much when we are so good?"
                    http://www.isometry.com/usahate.html
                    Interesting link. Wish I read through it instead of just skimming.

Comment

another first

first to drop the atomic bomb on a city full of civilians
                      waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay to go
                      Amerika uber alles?

Also America has Homeland Security...oooops not a first since the South Africans also had that... very efficient Apartheid inficting machine.... too bad you guys missed a first there....
                      better luck next time.

Comment

Japan and Germany wishes they were first

Japan and Germany were both developing bombs. I am sure both would have been more then happy to drop a bomb on the U.S.. As I have said before the bomb save more life on both sides then it killed. That is not to say I would be in support of ever using the bomb again, but it was a necessary evil for its time.

Cali

Comment

this saved lives too????

another world first for america
                          NAPALM

Though researchers had found ways to make jellied gasoline earlier, many of them required rubber as a principal component, which during wartime was a scarce commodity. In 1942, researchers at Harvard University and the U.S. Army Chemical Warfare Service found a rubber-less solution: mixing an aluminum soap powder of naphthalene and palmitate (naphthenic acid and palmitic acid, sodium palmitrate) with gasoline. This produced a substance which was highly flammable, yet slow burning. In World War II, incendiary bombs using napalm as their fuel were used against the German city of Dresden and during the firebombings of Japan.

After World War II, further refinement and development of napalm was undertaken by the government and its affiliated laboratories. Modern "napalm" contains neither naphthenic nor palmitic acids (despite the name), but often uses a bevy of other chemicals to stabilize the gasoline base. It is manufactured by Dow Chemical Company.

read more at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Napalm

Comment

Originally posted by eku
                            another world first for america
                            NAPALM

read more at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Napalm
                            And from there you can also find a link to Agent Orange. Another lovely invention...
                            http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agent_Orange

and lets not forget the good ol Atomic Bomb...
                            http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atomic_bomb

Nice stuff that.

United States
                            http://www.encyclopediadramatica.com.../United_States
                            Last edited by takenoko; 2005-06-07, 12:46 AM.

Comment

well as an american I can say that I am rarely if ever ashamed to born there. It can be a great country, but like any other human endeavor its very capable of colosal farguppage.
                              If anything I think that Pride has alot to do with american's problems. For the most part americans are pretty clueless about the rest of the world. So they have little else but pride in themselves.
                              Often the ones who proclaim that the US is best country in the world are the ones who have never been anywhere but america. The fact that the US basically saved the EU twice from the horrors of war simply filled americans with even more pride. Then "winning" the cold war by bankrupting the CCCP made the problem even worse.
                              Its resulted in a world of US unilateralism. I suppose it could be much worse, but the system sometimes can be exposed as fraudulent. Such as when they invade iraq on the pretext of WMD...
                              I think american's strength is as an innovator, since we lack some of the more rigid social stratifications of other "older" cultures and countries. The US didn't invent the computer but they made it a world changing technology, nor did they invent the internal combustion engine but they did take it to the next level (I suppose that is a bad thing these days) nor did they invent the rocket, but they did send men to the moon. So all in all I think they have been a net positive.

The world is certainly a world with more freedoms enjoyed by people in the northern hemisphere. Just think if Germany and Japan had won the war (scary thought there)

Comment

Working...
                              X