X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why are you proud of your Country?

Everyone seems to be ashamed of their Country recently. French hate their leader for high unemployment. Germans, hate their government for high immigration. Canadians hate their government for misleading it people. American and the World hate the U.S. government for the War. Australians, hate it government for it ties to the U.S. and the war. What I want to know is why you think your country is great. What is New Zealand know for and proud of. Same thing go with any country. Once again being an American I can tell about little bit about Europe and part of Asia, but I know very little about the people and countries of New Zealand, Canada, United Kingdom, Austria, and so on. SO WHAT MAKE YOUR COUNTRY GREAT? Please let not make this my country better then yours, just what has your country done and what is it proud of?

Cali

Not quite

Originally posted by california84
    Everyone seems to be ashamed of their Country recently. French hate their leader for high unemployment. Germans, hate their government for high immigration. Canadians hate their government for misleading it people. American and the World hate the U.S. government for the War. Australians, hate it government for it ties to the U.S. and the war. What I want to know is why you think your country is great. What is New Zealand know for and proud of. Same thing go with any country. Once again being an American I can tell about little bit about Europe and part of Asia, but I know very little about the people and countries of New Zealand, Canada, United Kingdom, Austria, and so on. SO WHAT MAKE YOUR COUNTRY GREAT? Please let not make this my country better then yours, just what has your country done and what is it proud of?
    Cali
    Not completely true. We hate our government 'cause they keep trying to stop us from running around the world bombing all the brown people and sucking up all the world's precious resources in a shameless greed driven frenzy.
    Remember, man, Canadians didn't have any Ice Hockey this past winter. Man, we are fightin' mad!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PS we constructed the first North American Public Health Care system; with justice for all.
    Oh, yeah, and decriminalised weed. Now that's GREAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Also, I was born there. You might say, in an admittedly pathetic fallacy, that Canada done me.

"Ooh, Indiana wants me, but I can't go back there"
    Last edited by kurogane; 2005-06-07, 10:16 PM.

Comment

Everyone has a love hate relationship with their country I think. I love NZ's laid back, almost rasta, attitude about everything and of course the beautiful, untouched scenery. I love NZ music (check it out, its up their with Aus/UK/US) and NZ weed . I love our life style and the fact that with such a small population, my vote has a lot more impact than many countries. I love its multi-cultral cities (great for eating out, yeah!) and summer festival (pass it around, mon). Cheap or free health care, free schools, no road tolls, and on and on.

I also love the fact that, like Australia, we have fought for the freedom of others (my god I almost sound American) despite the fact we're tiny and probably didnt make that much difference. For examples Gallipoli, The Somme, Crete, El Alemane (sp?), Monte Cassino, Guadalcanal, etc. Most Kiwis know a relitive who went oversea to fight "somebody elses war". Actually that could be good or bad depending on how you look at it.

However, at least when I was living there (Japan makes you see thing differenctly) I could stand all the PC and the "nanny state" Government (sorry any Labour supporters, I use to be one myself).

Mostly I hate sheep and sheep jokes. There isnt any sheep for miles around my hometown (Wellington). Actually I lie, I love sheep. NO I hate them. I lie I love them. NO! I hate them. Bloody sheep! How I miss you, little white Shirely. Your beautiful soft white...... No! I hate sheep! Got to go now, so confused. Love/hate.

Comment

NZ People are Cool

I never been to NZ, but all the people I have meet from NZ are great people. They are laid back and have a very different way of think. I like that a lot. I think even though NZ is a relatively small country it has done a lot for the world.

Cali

p.s. NZ Wine and Lamb is great!!!

Comment

What's great about Canada? It's the little things, like:

-In many places, in wintertime, it gets cold enough that a cup of hot water will freeze in around 2 minutes if left outside. And while it's not exactly a "great" thing, it is impressive that the people are hardcore enough to live there and raise children.

-The weed thing.

-The fact that even though our military is horribly under-funded, it's still a significant presence in lots of places in the world, and has some of the best trained people, to boot.

-The health care thing, meaning that if I get sick or break a leg, I don't have to take out a second mortgage just to get admitted to the hospital.

-The multicultural thing. There's huge diversity in even the small "big cities," and I like that. It's shocking compared to Japan, really.

-Has a good reputation in most places in the world, that is, I never have to worry about saying "I'm Canadian." Those ____ers in Europe who consider us to be just the same as Americans can eat me.

-Did I mention the weed?

-It isn't so crowded that we have to stack apartments on top of other apartments on top of everything from convenience stores to furniture showrooms.

-Has one of (if not the) oldest corporations in the world, and it's still turning a profit.

-Ice hockey. What an awesome sport, where crashing full-speed into someone and slamming them into solid wood is a non-penalised part of the game (fighting is also an actual part of the game, given that there are rules governing it). People whine that, "There was no hockey this year!" but that's not really true. There was no NHL, and while that's the top of the pile, it's hardly the only hockey that goes on in Canada.

I'm done.

Comment

the US and Canada are so bloody big its like many different countries. Like a NYer and California person are gonna have the same tastes or lifestyles ? not. How about BC and Quebec ? puhlease.
            No hockey has been getting to me for quite some time, so its not a purely canadian thing.

What makes NY great is that some dipstick named osama had some guys fly planes into our buildings, but stuff like that only makes NY stronger. When he comes crawling out of his cave rest assured a NY native will be there to hand out some bowery boy justice (can you say dead rabbits?)... If he stays hidden NY will simply go on being the greatest city in the world and frankly will be more thankful for every day of peace they have.

Nothing like losing a few thousand hard working souls to check the guts of a city.

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger right ? well in this case what kills a few thousand of your people does make you stronger.

Of course that Texan GWB had to come and mess things up ... but all in all NY is still the best.

Comment

Canada: the land of the Great People

I can honestly say as an American. Canada is our closest Allie, Trading partner (Even though we only use NAFT when it benefit us). Also I say from my heart that Canadians are gThe nice people I have ever met in my lifeh.

Cali

Comment

NZ = awesome!

How do I move to NZ?

Comment

New York

Most my family lives in NYC. Both my parents are Native from NYC. I am glad 9/11 happened in NYC. If it had happened in my home state of California I donft think we could have handled it. The cries from Cali People of gWhat are we going to do nowh, would have been deafening. New Yorkers can hand anything. The best scientist, artist, and Universities in the World are in New York. You can find anything you want in. New York. It is a very unique place in the Country and the world.

Cali

Comment

Working...
                  X