Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New IC Gaijin cards

Gov't plans to require all foreigners to carry IC cards for crime control

Thursday, June 9, 2005 at 07:29 JST
    TOKYO — The Japanese government and the ruling Liberal Democratic Party plan to require all foreigners staying in Japan for more than 90 days to carry identification cards equipped with integrated circuit chips, with all data to be kept at an "intelligence center," party lawmakers said Tuesday.

The LDP and the government claim the new policy is aimed at keeping track of foreigners as part of measures to prevent terrorism and crimes.

But the new system, intended to replace the current Certificate of Alien Registration that foreigners have to carry, is likely to raise concerns over the sharing of information between the immigration and police authorities, as well as protests from foreigners that it unfairly discriminates against them.

Under the plan, foreigners will have to carry with them at all times IC cards that contain information such as their name, nationality, address, birth date, passport number, visa status and place of employment or study. Holders will be required to report any change of address and obtain permission to change jobs.

The data of all card holders will be kept at the intelligence center that the Justice Ministry plans to set up to gather and analyze information on suspicious foreigners. The information will be shared between immigration and police authorities when foreigners are involved in crimes.

Currently, foreigners' registrations are kept at the municipality of their residence. The municipal governments, which issue the alien registration cards, are required to send a copy of the registrations to the Justice Ministry.

Under the new policy, companies and schools where foreigners work or study will also be required to report to the authorities about when the foreigners move or change jobs, and will be subject to penalties for any falsified information.

The government is aiming to submit budget requests as early as for next fiscal year, beginning next April, and to have related law revisions as well as new legislation made in two years.

Short-term visitors in Japan for up to 90 days and those with special permanent residency, including Korean residents in Japan, will be exempt.

Japanese nationals are not required to carry any form of identification, but foreigners aged over 16 who fail to carry their alien registration cards with them at all times currently face a maximum penalty of one year in prison or a 200,000 yen fine. The maximum penalty for special permanent residents is 100,000 yen.

The current alien registration card contains the holder's name, nationality, date of birth, place of birth, address, passport information, visa status, occupation and company or school.

Japan's treatment of foreigners has often been criticized as being discriminatory, especially with the fingerprinting system it introduced in 1952. After decades of protests, Japan finally stopped requiring the fingerprinting of permanent foreign residents in 1992 and of those with nonpermanent status in 2000. (Kyodo News)
    Ok, when I first saw this I was pretty shocked but on a second read its on so bad. I think its just like the current system but with all the information on electornically. Its it not really like a "1984" style tracker if you read closely.

The bit about needing "permission" to change jobs suck though.

I also read somewhere else they're planning to reintroduce fingerprinting of foriengers at airports. Sucks I know, but before you jump, remember the US is doing the same thing now.

If I had lived in the USA for 12 years and married an American national, I am sure that it would seem strange to the US immigration authorities that I had not taken up US citizenship - I am a Brit.
    However in Japan, they seem very very happy that I don't make an effort to try and join the 'herrenvolk' and up to now I have been happy with this entiente cordial. Every three years I go and renew my spouse visa.
    All I ask is to be left alone and live my life.
    Yep, everyday I get the looks and at least once a month I have to listen to the ignorant utterances of one of the enlightened few of the chosen people. However I have tried to live my life as comortable as possible.
    But this time I have had enough, With each passing year the Japanese state is making it more and more difficult for me to live normally in their 'unique' land.
    I will not change my visa status to avoid this and other mentioned measures - sure the measures themselves are not inconvenient to me, but the message about foreigners is very clear - because this would be condoning these xenophobic actions.
    I have decided that it is time to leave this place and, forgive me my immodesty, this is Japan's loss and someone else's gain

Comment

Yes, but do they...................

Originally posted by scipio
      I
      I have decided that it is time to leave this place and, forgive me my immodesty, this is Japan's loss and someone else's gain
      Nice post. I agree.
      Sad part is, do you think they realise they are going to lose us Goodies, and get stuck with all the yen grubbers?
      Well, at least then they will have a leg to stand on when they complain about foreign scum.

Comment

Itfs the foreigners fault!!!

Very easy for Japan like the U.S. to make every law and claim it for ant-terrorism measures. Or my favorite, those dirty foreigners are committing all the crime in Japan we must keep an eye on them and track them. Look at the news it is always a foreigner committing the crime or some connect to another country when it a Japanese business or person. I think this is just another way of take the heat off of Japanfs problems and put the blame for the problems on foreigners.

Cali

Comment

how the hell can they say you need permission to change jobs.......... ??????
          thats fecking unbelievable...............
          who wants to start a riot....
          the other stuff I don;t give a fig about.... I have so many IC cards in my purse that I could probably instal a wordprocessing software with no trouble.... my gas card my visa card etc etc
          but ...........[size=7]obtain permission to change jobs.[/size]
          that sux

Comment

MORE Paperwork!??????????

Originally posted by eku
            how the hell can they say you need permission to change jobs.......... ??????
            thats fecking unbelievable...............
            who wants to start a riot....
            the other stuff I don;t give a fig about.... I have so many IC cards in my purse that I could probably instal a wordprocessing software with no trouble.... my gas card my visa card etc etc
            but ...........[size=7]obtain permission to change jobs.[/size]
            that sux
            Isn't that an immigration concern?
            The IC thingy seems rather rational. Nice to see the Guvvernment types are finally getting around to using some of the fancy stuff they make, but don't use, and worse, don't know how to use. Like compooters. This has got to be the most technologically backwards advanced country in the world.
            Those ward offices are like a Third World bloody government office. If I have to write out one more Goddam form, I am going into 'Radication Mode.
            Sheepy,
            Prepare for Radication Procedures!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
            We shall spare the Skimpies and the Frothies

Comment

You're right Kuro but....

I agree Kuro, but I think what Eku and I are saying, is while the card itself its that bad, having to get permission to change your job is absurd.

Other than that, I dont have that much of a problem with it, and as you say, if it speeds things up at the immergration office, cool. Maybe they have finally entered the information age.

Again its just the job thing that erks me.

Comment

Cool

Originally posted by JayJay
                Maybe they have finally entered the information age.

Again its just the job thing that erks me.
                Don't hold your breath on the entrance to a new age thing, bucky!

That job thing is intrusive. Makes me wanna quit and go on the dole.
                Now there's an idea for next winter!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Frothies and skimpies to the rear

Permission to change jobs!

Permission to change jobs!!

Do I look like indentured labour?!!

Radicate! Radicate! Radicate!

Comment

Sad to say but the society and government here are closing inwards again. Sakoku - closed country. We all know who the biggest crims in Japan are and they are the Yakuza and the politicians as well as their allies in the building trade etc.

I feel really sad cause I have good Japanese friends and the young Japanese are trying to be more open to the world. But they don`t have the political power to translate that into action.

What I want is to hear from Paul H, Glenski , Ms Trip Hop, Kuorgane, anybody who always gives good info on this new card. Please - whaddya think?

Comment

rant rant

i have been thinking (ok I ma not in the good advice category but i still have been thinking)

maybe this pemission to change jobs cr@p is due to ppl getting a work visa through a specific company, getting to japan and then quitting and changing jobs....

Even if it is, and even if there is some kind of rating sysytem that you need permission to change within X number of months of starting a job... or whether it is just limited to ppl who come on a limited visa like a one year visa, it still sucks.... big time.

recently so many things come under the broad-sweeping to curb terrorism excuse..
                      what do they say about life... it goes full circle.... does this mean pretty soon we will be back where we started from on the human rights frontier?
                      Eradicate terrorism by reverting to feudalism....... keep japan safe by closing her shores.....
                      shix logic if you ask me.....

Comment

"Permission to change jobs"...what's next-permission to leave the country? Permission to start dating/having sex with Japanese nationals? The day that job thing comes down the pipe is the day I book my ticket to elsewhere. Everyone has their limits, and mine is when the government decides to interfere with the life of a law-abiding resident for no logical reason.

Jesus, with each passing day we take another step backwards towards the 1930s in this country...

Considering that the population is going to start dropping like a stone over here, I'm guessing this new provision will go a long way towards encouraging skilled foreign professionals that Japan will increasingly need NOT to come over here.

I have no problem with Japan asking this of us-provided the Canadian government starts making all Japanese nationals in Canada for more than 90 days do the same thing, with exactly the same restrictions/provisions attached.
                        Last edited by arginjapan; 2005-06-12, 09:49 PM.

Comment

Japan: imitating the great example of their big brother?

I cannot say I know much about the Japanese visa / immigration system.

But if what JayJay is saying is true, it makes me think Japan is following in the footsteps of that great big brother nation, the paragon of virtue and the self-proclaimed world police.

Yeap, the United States of America. That great country of immigrants. Ha!

having to get permission to change your job is absurd.
                          My understanding is, that is exactly what you need in the US. According to the H1B visa regulation (typical route by which professionals gain entry to the US), if a foreigner enters the US but then quits the company that sponsored the original visa, she must find another US company willing to sponsor the H1B visa and give her a new job within - 30 DAYS. Otherwise, the visa becomes void and she must leave the US. That is my understanding of the complex labyrinth of US INS regulations. (Anybody else with better factual information?)

To be fair, during the dot.com days, this kind of restriction was no big deal as there were so many jobs to go around, I heard. But these days, that timeframe is almost impossible to meet and effectively forces out any foreigners who cannot remain employed at their company for the duration of their H1B. Of course, that kind of rule promotes a system of indentured servitude.

if it speeds things up at the immergration office, cool. Maybe they have finally entered the information age.
                          Again, exactly the same excuse the US INS is telling Asians, Middle Easterners, Africans to justify their high-tech security system and Fortress America. No ethnic minorities I know take that kind of argument seriously. (Having said that, in principle, I am not against them using the IT system in the immigration database and clearance; but this was not motivated by efficiency but by their desire to keep their country as insulated from "evil foreigners" as possible. That is what bothers me.)

Originally posted by arginjapan
                          Everyone has their limits, and mine is when the government decides to interfere with the life of a law-abiding resident for no logical reason.
                          In that case, arginjapan, I don't recommend you ever study or work in the US, as that is what you are going to get...

Comment

How the 'mericans do it

In case you have some time to kill, have a look at how the Americans do the visa thing:

http://www.science.psu.edu/hr/HVisa.htm
                            http://www.usbusinessvisa.com/termh1bw.htm#1

Sounds like one cannot even count on any grace period after being layed off in the US. And your visa is tied to your employment; want a new job? then ask INS.

To me, Japan seems more generous than their big brother - for now anyway. But perhaps that will change...

With each passing day Japan takes another step eastwards towards their big brother, huh?

Comment

Why is everything the U.S.fS Fault?

I am amazed how you can change ever issue into a U.S. problem. The only one you have not is the music thread. Let me help you. The U.S. does not trade with Cuba this has leaded to less Cuban Artist Selling Salsa Music. Therefore, the decrease in Salsa music sale has lead to more poverty in Cuba. The decrease in Salsa Music Salsa has lead to the downfall of Salsa Music. Not everything is the U.S. Fault.

Cali
                              Last edited by california84; 2005-06-13, 06:36 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X