Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Top

Top Module
Collapse

Hands Up Who Thinks the Iraq War Was A Mistake

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Hands Up Who Thinks the Iraq War Was A Mistake

    It has been nearly two years now since the United States and its allies punched forward on the audacious and unprecedented invasion of Iraq. This thread is designed to examine the consciousness of people visiting GaijinPot -- in other words, do you think the invasion of Iraq has made your life safer, or has it been a waste of money and human lives? Has America won the Iraqi war, or is it immersed in the sinking sands of a humungous foreign policy error? Please enlist your opinions below!

    This is not intended to be ranting of my opinions -- I know how boring that would be. I know there are thousands of people browsing GaijinPot -- not chronic geeks who use GaijinPot on a daily basis but just ordinary people who are cruising through on their way somewhere else. So be frank in giving your opinions. I will not respond to any comments because this is not about me, it is about you. Do you think the invasion/liberation of Iraq was a good idea? Has it made the world a safer and more democratic and peaceful peace? Should we applaud the Americans for creating the Iraq that exists now -- or should we condemn them?

  • #2
    Not wanting a conversation?

    Originally posted by Code Rot
    I will not respond to any comments because this is not about me, it is about you.
    What you are saying here, of course, is that you don't want a conversation, but something akin to an cement wall under a bridge - full of graffiti.

    Also, being a chronic user of this board I'm probably not one you'd be really wishing would answer. But I'm not too geeky so maybe I'll qualify...

    Put simply, you are asking too soon. GWB himself has said (I'm paraphrasing) that it would be in 50 years people would judge him. It might really take that long to look back and add up all the effects.

    The reason is really straightforward - what is happening is global power playing, among all the principals and several of the smaller states, over one of, and maybe the most, strategic locations on earth.

    One thing to keep in mind, for all of you out there, is that *anyone* who is a US president is hired by the 50 states of the US to manage the executive branch and carry out foreign policy (and also be commander in chief) of the US federal government. No where in the job description is savior of the world. He does not have to bring world peace (or judgement for that matter) - he just looks out for the interests of the several states.

    -ft

    Comment


    • #3
      No and No

      america isn't significantly safer than before Iraq was invaded, but I don't think it was a complete waste of life and equipment. Iraq's dictator was an evil tyrant and he aided al-Qaida. That's all the reason needed to frag him. However, there are several questions raised about the morals of the actions and the motives.

      WMDs are a lame excuse. I believe that Saddam Hussein had bio and chem weapons, but the US shouldn't attact someone because they have some sort of evil weapon. The US is the only nation that has ever deployed a WEAPON OF MASS DESTRUCTION. Bio and Chemical weapons are difficult to properly deliver so their effictiveness can very from devestating to a complete failure depending on the atmosphere, wind speed and direction, temp, weather. They aren't and can't be instruments of MASS DESTRUCTION. They can however be used in such a quantity that they are very destructive liek in WWI.

      Nuclear weapons are the only real weapons of mass destruction. They can wipe out an entire city. The only time in history that WMDs were used as in war was against innocent, defenseless civilians.

      So, the US shouldn't have played the WMD card. That was stupid. They also shouldn't have messed around with the UN either. The UN is just a bunch of parasitic dumb____s who can't do anything but collect money from countries and then tell them what to do.

      So, end point. Whether the US meant good or evil, some good hapened and some doors were opened for global stupidity to exceed dangerous levels.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by kimonolover
        aSo, the US shouldn't have played the WMD card. That was stupid. They also shouldn't have messed around with the UN either. The UN is just a bunch of parasitic dumb____s who can't do anything but collect money from countries and then tell them what to do.

        So, end point. Whether the US meant good or evil, some good hapened and some doors were opened for global stupidity to exceed dangerous levels.
        You will notice the US is trying to get a UN resolution to get North Korea to give up its nukes. The US has now realised that it can not go it alone and that if another war breaks out it will be seriously f--ked when it comes to manpower and funding. they are seriously understaffed and having trouble finding new cannonfodder. The other countries will not come to Americas aid this time and Tony Blair is in deep trouble at home.

        The UN is not perfect but the US has realised that it needs the UN to get things done and going in invading countries on its own is not the way to go. GItmo is also a major embarassment for the US as well. They have their very own gulag in Cuba.

        Comment


        • #5
          when has invading another country not been a mistake..??

          read my lips.... war is bad.

          Comment


          • #6
            Coming soon to a country not so near you - a new war!

            Read this, the f*ckers are out of control.


            http://english.aljazeera.net/NR/exer...96A02F864D.htm

            Comment


            • #7
              Who thinks it was a good idea? Isn't that the real question? The majority of the US is against it, and the vast majority of the rest of the world was.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by waller
                Read this, the f*ckers are out of control.


                http://english.aljazeera.net/NR/exer...96A02F864D.htm
                I have trouble believing this, mostly because I have to wonder where the troops are going to come from? It would be complete political suicide for the neocons to go into Iran, unless they plan on hijacking the US completely in terms of the political system. Maybe create an Emporer Bush. In all honesty, I was predicting Iraq from early 2002. I new deep down that it was going to be going to war. I don't get that feeling with Iran. Despite some fear mongering articles printed on Al Jazeera, I still think that a war with Iran would be at least 4 years away if the current (US) regime stayed in power, and probably never since they'll get the boot.

                Comment


                • #9
                  North Korea and China are like Isengard and Mordor.

                  If the Galactic Empire gets in the mix here, we'll not only be fighting Uruk-hai, but Mordor Orcs as well. It is my guess that N.Korea is China's pawn that they use to test the waters. So, if the US messes with one, it may lead to the other.

                  Japan may get involved if it's in their best interest, liek if their butts are on the line, but will likely want to stay out of it if they can.

                  Maybe, Japan will call off the satanic treaty and magicly build up a huge military and save the world from N.Korea and China and the US will look bad.

                  This could be really interesting.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by kimonolover
                    If the Galactic Empire gets in the mix here, we'll not only be fighting Uruk-hai, but Mordor Orcs as well. It is my guess that N.Korea is China's pawn that they use to test the waters. So, if the US messes with one, it may lead to the other.

                    Japan may get involved if it's in their best interest, liek if their butts are on the line, but will likely want to stay out of it if they can.

                    Maybe, Japan will call off the satanic treaty and magicly build up a huge military and save the world from N.Korea and China and the US will look bad.

                    This could be really interesting.


                    You will notice its not all the bluebloods like Bush and Cheney that are sending their kids to fight and die in Iraq. Its all the white trash poor kids and minorities that are getting college scholarships dangled in front of them in return for doing a tour in the Marines. there kids are safely out of harms way in college. Even the national guard is not safe anymore.

                    Thanks but no thanks.


                    What Chinese and South Koreans are worried about is millions of poor and destitute North Koreans pouring across the border like they did in Germany when the wall fell.

                    West Germany is a wealthy country but nowadays its nearly broke due to having to absord all the poor East german Ossies. Imagine how south Koreans feel having millions of starving beggars living on your back doorstep.


                    Japan will get involved because Nth Korea will start lobbing missiles their way, with about 20 minutes notice, by which time it will be too late for any of us here.

                    Korea has already lobbed missiles over japan airspace three times already.

                    Japan is number 3 in defense spending after the US and China.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by madmaxxam
                      I have trouble believing this, mostly because I have to wonder where the troops are going to come from? It would be complete political suicide for the neocons to go into Iran, unless they plan on hijacking the US completely in terms of the political system. Maybe create an Emporer Bush. In all honesty, I was predicting Iraq from early 2002. I new deep down that it was going to be going to war. I don't get that feeling with Iran. Despite some fear mongering articles printed on Al Jazeera, I still think that a war with Iran would be at least 4 years away if the current (US) regime stayed in power, and probably never since they'll get the boot.
                      Yes, they will get the boot next time, which is precisely why they care not about political suicide. What"s to lose? And plenty to gain. I mean, even the latest CNN poll has something like 60% of Americans thinking the war is a crock, so ...may as well be hung for a sheep as a lamb. As for citing Al Jazeera as a scare mongering source, well, you can see news of the bombings in Iran on BBC. I also think the political system has been pretty much hijacked already.

                      But I dunno tho, Max, maybe you are right. I'd certainly like to think that the American public would not allow this. But this guy Scott Ritter does have a pretty good reputation, and knowledge of the region, so I find it pretty scary.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by waller
                        Yes, they will get the boot next time, which is precisely why they care not about political suicide. What"s to lose? And plenty to gain. I mean, even the latest CNN poll has something like 60% of Americans thinking the war is a crock, so ...may as well be hung for a sheep as a lamb. As for citing Al Jazeera as a scare mongering source, well, you can see news of the bombings in Iran on BBC. I also think the political system has been pretty much hijacked already.

                        But I dunno tho, Max, maybe you are right. I'd certainly like to think that the American public would not allow this. But this guy Scott Ritter does have a pretty good reputation, and knowledge of the region, so I find it pretty scary.
                        Yeah, Bush is a lame duck presidency, but the party and his advisors still try to guide his actions in such a way that they can stay in power. I do doubt that it will happen, and I would be surprised if there were a war with Iran, but it's not completely out of the question. Only the future will tell of course.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          The International Pillagers

                          And now long has that warmonger donald rumsfeld been around! He's a bigger cant than bush. You can see a nice pic of him in Wikipedia getting cosy with Saddam, for Ronald Reagan's special envoy to the Middle East in 1983.
                          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Donald_Rumsfeld

                          BTW, North Korea doesn't have any oil, so of course the US will try to get the help of the UN. There's no money to be made in N.Korea is there? The mighty US usually only gets involved if oil or other resources are at stake (eg. Iraq, Kuwait, Colombia etc etc). Besides, N.Korea is probably just a distraction so it takes our mind off the shiit happening in Iraq... since we've already forgotten about Afghanistan... that's ancient history now.

                          Bush is just in it for the money anyway... we should be referring to Bush and Co. as The International Pillagers.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            IRAQ WAR = B.S.

                            And I think everyone gets too worked about politics.
                            It's not good for society. I believe in Political apathy.

                            I think ppl should focus on more life, culture stuff in this forum.


                            out

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Two hands up.

                              I also think people should forget about politics and let the people who really understand how to deal with important issues, like Mr Bush and his friends, get on with things with no hinderance from plebs who really have no idea how to run huge arms manufacturing and oil companies.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X