X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BONO hypocrite or what

Bono has been getting on my tits telling the world to forgive billions of debt to africa ,noe he is taking to court an ex employee and sueing her for 3000 pounds to get some stuff back .

Talk about F>>>iin hypocrite .I just wonder how much he has given to the cause this people whop all pretend to be caring about the worlds poor then when they go to their website they charge them a small fortune to join ,what F...king bas....tuds.

Bono - egotistical W*ANKER! IMHO of course!

Comment

Its the dark side.....

Bonos just another celeberty fallen to the dark side of fame and pride. Look at other celebs that started as cool guys/girls with good intensions and you'll notice the same trend. Micheal Jackson, George Lucas, Metallica, the Stones and more recently Tom Cruise (I feel). Of course David Bowie seems to be the exception somehow......

Bono means well but I feel by trying to get things done and mixing with all though world leader types, he's begun to become the thing he's tried to fight against. And while I own an iPod, thier whole U2 iPod thing really turned me off in a big way. Vertigo sucks, I never liked that song. Give me "The Fly" or "New Years Day" any day.
      As much as I want to, I haven't liked U2 since Achtung Baby (though Pop had some good tracks).

Bono....sorry mate, you've lost it.

Comment

Originally posted by thickmick
        Bono has been getting on my tits telling the world to forgive billions of debt to africa ,noe he is taking to court an ex employee and sueing her for 3000 pounds to get some stuff back .

Talk about F>>>iin hypocrite .I just wonder how much he has given to the cause this people whop all pretend to be caring about the worlds poor then when they go to their website they charge them a small fortune to join ,what F...king bas....tuds.
        um, don't keep up with celebrity gossip, but what exactly was the contradiction you're referring to? Was his ex-employee starving to death but he sued anyway?

joining a website? bit hard when you don't have electricity mate.

Comment

ccontradiction or not

He is sueing a woman who they allege took property from them she says it was a gift ,my point being he wants the west to forgrt billions yet he won`t for get about a pair of trousers ,and a few bits and bats .He is atotal prick
          and indeed false ,he is raking in the cash while the poor he reckons to care about, starve ..

ps JJ what was the deal
          l with the IPOD thing

Comment

Sorry for not being clear

I was referring to hid fans getting stiffed to join the site ,and even if they did hace the leccy on he would still charge them the money grabbing mick.

Comment

Now I get your drift.

You're on medication.

Comment

Touche ,you are so smart .

Is the che short for douche bag ?
                Last edited by thickmick; 2005-06-30, 07:26 AM.

Comment

on ya thick mick! and the other problem is their music is very BORING!!!!!!!!!!

i didnt know about the web site thing - interesting - but music doesnt really mean much these days does it? its all marketing - even grotty old oi bands like the Abrasive Wheels - who by the looks have only 1 original member (im sure no one has ever heard of em but anyway) are getting on "punk" tours like "Vans Warped" but is not really very "punk" is it?

Comment

Abrasive wheels ??

i must be getting old ,of course it is all manufactured ,one of the guys who had the biggest hits as qa producer in the 80'S could not play or read music (stock aitken waterman ).
                    I would imagine that most bands charge their fans to join their site .
                    my main point was that BONO is a publicity seeking hypocritical money grabbing stupid glassses wearing irish piece of ____ .
                    Did I miss anyhing ?

Comment

U2

I think I lost my interest in U2 after The Joshua Tree. There a time that each U2 song had a message and a purpose, but now it just music. Their videos are with major celebrities and have no great artistic value in my opinion. They Bono once said he love living in Ireland and in small town, because that were the real people were at. Bono has a house in New York City now. I guess that small town thing is gone

On one hand U2 say they hate big business that take money from people. On the other hand they are obsessed with Las Vegas. Gambling is the ultimate in business using people. U2 was once again doing commercial and movies. Now they do movie sound tracts and commercials a lot. Ya, U2 has sold out big time.
                      Cali

Comment

Celebrity political engagement

Yes, I remember when Bono supported the muslim side in Bosnia blaming the serbs for everything and not knowing anything about the issue. Also Nirvana on the cover of some album (can t remember) wrote NOT FOR DOGS AND SERBS because Chris Novoselic`s parents were croats....

Sadly there are a lot of this examples where celebrities use their `engagement` to increase the profits. Its like in a miss contest when they usually say: I wish there is piece in the world and that noone is hungry...

Pure marketing if you ask me...

Comment

Bono is like Michael Jackson -- he was cool at one point in time, but now he is a joke. "The Joshua Tree" and "Achtung! Baby" -- they were great moments in the history of Rock'n'Roll, and it seemed that U2 promised it could help save the world. It went downhill with the release of "Zooropa", and that's a pity. Anyway, they were just a Rock band -- now Bono is trying to save the world again, with this "Make Poverty History Caper". It sounds good on paper, but it is not going to work, and it all seems a bit of a wank from my point of view. For starters, where are the African voices in "Make Poverty History"? There aren't any -- they haven't been invited to take part in their own salvation. Tossers like Bono are just exploiting Africa to gain some good angelic credit. If Bono really cared, he would give ALL of his money to African charities. That's what Jesus would have done, and Bono models himself on Jesus, so why not go hardcore and give it all away -- everything, every last penny. If he was hardcore enough to do that, suddenly Bono would become cool again.

Comment

Benevolent bono

I think that is how he should be remembered after giving away his houses ,music rights , drug parphernalia ,soiled underpants ,and not forgetting his money ,then he can start busking and I am sure he would still make a better living than most .And after 10 years he will be able yo look back and and say to the world " I am Bono look how I changed the world " and the poor bastards in africa would be just as poor and aids ridden as ever or inEurope selling trinkets or on the dole blodging .Well done Bono , Achtung baby !

Comment

Originally posted by thickmick

At the risk of sounding like another douchebag, how exactly can you equate taking an ex-employee to court to recover stolen items with developed nations forgiving the debt of developing nations?

And, yes, he's a businessman who charges people money to use his services. Again, how can you relate this with trying to help the needy in developing nations? As Che pointed out, the people accessing his site aren't the ones he's trying to help, are they? Are you saying that he should allow all of us to access his music for free? Why should he? If those who can afford to want to they can buy his music. If they don't then they don't. The money Bono gets from his fans can be used to fund his trips around the world talking to those in power and as donations to charities.

Originally posted by Code Rot
                              Anyway, they were just a Rock band -- now Bono is trying to save the world again, with this "Make Poverty History Caper". It sounds good on paper, but it is not going to work, and it all seems a bit of a wank from my point of view. For starters, where are the African voices in "Make Poverty History"? There aren't any -- they haven't been invited to take part in their own salvation. Tossers like Bono are just exploiting Africa to gain some good angelic credit. If Bono really cared, he would give ALL of his money to African charities.
                              I didn't know that you're a fan of African music. Which artists would you like to see in the concert?

I mean, come on, the concerts are being held to garner a global audience to influence people's opinions about the situation in Africa. Will they get millions of people tuning in by showing globally recognized artists such as Coldplay or by showing local African artists that no one has heard of?

I'm sure Bono does give sizable donations to charities, but as Bono and most people know it will take more than just money to solve problems in Africa. Him giving away all of his money wouldn't solve the problems in Africa and would just cause himself and his family problems. Having a lot of money means having power, and he shouldn't give up his power in a misguided act of kindness. The power he has from his wealth can be used to help others who aren't so fortunate. If people like Bono lose their wealth all we are left with are the business people and the politicians who are raping and corrupting the planet.

I'm always amazed at the amount of cynicism or downright hostility that is raised a lot of the time when celebrities get on board a cause such as this. What's the problem with it, really? They're having a say in what they believe in and are trying to improve things for people. What's so wrong with this? Making cheap pot shots about Bono's music or his commercial interests have little to do with what he's trying to do in Africa. Why feel the need to tear him down? Are you guys worried by the fact that he's both incredibly successful and idealistic? Do you prefer your artists in the mold of Oasis, who basically play music, drink, smoke, screw and get into fights? I'd prefer to have a conversation with Bono to Noel Gallaghar anytime. At least Bono would have something interesting to say. Being a concerned global citizen is something that we should all be doing. It's just that celebrities are able to bring more attention and engender bigger effects because of who they are. It doesn't mean that they're necessarily experts on the issue or that we should necessarily listen to them, but I don't see how we have the right to tell them to shut up. They have as much right as anyone else to become involved. If their reasons are not entirely altruistic then so be it. They're the ones who have to live with themselves, and I think most people can pick up the difference between those who have a genuine interest in effecting change and those who have just jumped on the bandwagon.

A lot of people give to charity in order to "gain angelic credit" - it's not just the preserve of celebrities.

By the way, which charities do you give to and what do you do to make the world better, thickmick and Code Rot? Nothing? Who are the hypocrites here? If you do do something, is it entirely on an altruistic level? Doubt it. Who are the hypocrites here?

Comment

Working...
                              X