Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fried chicken

I read about this today folks: from Japan Today.com

Tokyo will sizzle in August

You think it's hot now. This is nothing. The heat that's coming to Japan, and to Tokyo in particular, says Shukan Gendai (July 30), constitutes a threat to life and happiness that will put even terrorism in the shade. Climatologists set their worst-case scenarios 25 years in the future, but, warns the magazine, Tokyoites can expect a searing foretaste no later than this August.

We've seen lately what heat can do. Directly or indirectly, it killed 20,000 Europeans in 2003. Tokyo's record heat last year had no such cataclysmic consequences, but complacency is out of place as the metropolis' climate grows increasingly hospitable to disease-bearing fleas more commonly associated with the tropics.

You don't need to be a trained meteorologist to see how strange the climate is growing. Shukan Gendai cites the most recent local examples. This year, Honshu's rainy season officially opened in mid-June, bringing hardly any rain. When the rains came at last at the end of the month, they were unusually strong. On June 28 it was 36.2 degrees in Tokyo — a record. Days later, it was so chilly you needed long sleeves outdoors.

Southern Honshu and Kyushu have been struck lately by unpredictable local rain storms of unprecedented violence — in Oita and Nagasaki prefectures, four people were dead and two missing as a result of them. They are due, says Shukan Gendai, to the "subtropicalization" of Japan, which in turn is caused by the so-called "heat-island phenomenon."

Tokyo is a classic "heat island." A heat island occurs as a result of a confluence of circumstances — lots of heat-absorbing concrete and asphalt, few green spaces, profligate energy use, and a high concentration of tall buildings that block cooling breezes. Tokyo seems almost to have been designed as a heat island. Between 1991 and 1996, according to the Tokyo metropolitan government, development absorbed 271.9 hectares of green spaces and open water. That's the equivalent of 17 Hibiya Parks. The more recent construction of skyscrapers in Minato Ward's Shiodome district — 13 buildings over 100 meters in height — are said to block cooling breezes from Tokyo Bay.

Tokyoites don't need to be told how miserable this feels. To make it bearable they turn up their air conditioners — which in turn, of course, by releasing more heat into the atmosphere, only intensifies the heat island effect.

Tohoku University meteorologist Takeo Saito has been tracking Tokyo's weather for 25 years, and he looks ahead 25 years to the year 2030. What does he see? "Our simulations," he says, "show evening temperatures of 42-43 degrees." He doesn't say what the daytime temperatures will be. Perhaps Shukan Gendai was afraid to ask.

In any case, the outlook for this August is 10 consecutive days of 40-degree-plus temperatures. It's not only a question of discomfort and heat prostration. The heat island climate is perfect, some experts warn, for fleas carrying such diseases as malaria, dengue fever and West Nile virus. Malaria alone kills 1-2 million people a year worldwide.

And what's the government doing about it? Shukan Gendai demands. Not much, it concludes. The "cool biz" campaign, promoting the doffing of neckties and suit jackets so that office air conditioners can be turned down, is nice but, says the magazine, hardly measures up to the magnitude of the problem.
    Last edited by electric_japan; 2005-08-03, 08:47 PM.

I thought this thread was going to be about karaage. Still not to worry.

Comment

Originally posted by J.T
      I thought this thread was going to be about karaage. Still not to worry.
      So did I.Since you mention it, I was wondering which part of the chicken do you like the best?Back home when it came to buying kentucky fried chicken, I always order the breast as there is no bone in it.

Comment

Well the article in a way says that we are going to be the fried chickens sooner or later.

Comment

that's if we don't all get avian flu first... the chinese govt is discrediting and trying to closing down the labs that have been checking out the infected wild birds in their territory, claiming the birds were infected elsewhere, a pandemic is long overdue, makes me more nervous than heatwaves or terrorists

Comment

The ability of threads to meander, almost as though they possess free will, never ceases to amaze me.

I eat Karage in air conditioned office in Tokyo.
            I plan on moving back home before people start spontaneously bursting in to flames.

Comment

i thought the common thread was death by something other than chocolate

Comment

Originally posted by Morning After
                So did I.Since you mention it, I was wondering which part of the chicken do you like the best?Back home when it came to buying kentucky fried chicken, I always order the breast as there is no bone in it.
                I don't eat KFC as a rule, not good to put that rubbish in one's body. Tasty, but dreadfully unhealthy.
                In Japan though, I ate karaage at least 3 times a week.

Comment

Originally posted by J.T
                  I don't eat KFC as a rule, not good to put that rubbish in one's body. Tasty, but dreadfully unhealthy.
                  If you don`t eat KFC what do you eat.Personaly I like Mcdonalds as it is the cheapeast.

Comment

cooked meat

http://www.mcdonalds.co.jp/

Comment

chicken livers

mmm - sauteed in a little balsamic, crisp on the outside and still a little pink inside and served on a mixed leaf salad...

the avain flu has reached Russia by the way...

Comment

Originally posted by Morning After
                        If you don`t eat KFC what do you eat.Personaly I like Mcdonalds as it is the cheapeast.
                        I eat very healthily these days, boring as it sounds.

Breakfast is usually salad, toast, fruit and yoghurt.

Lunch is usually rice, salad and chicken breast.

Dinner varies, but I do eat my quota of greens with rice and some kind of meat dish.

Comment

i don't like kfc and i can't eat mc D recently (gives me tummy pains and accompanying etc)
                          i love mosburger but don't eat it that much, maybe once every 2 months or so

recently have been so busy that if i eat one homecooked a week, i am lucky
                          i miss my own and my sweetie's cooking

sigh

yeah chicken livers... yum... but what is safe to eat anymore?

Comment

cornish pasties

I am picking up an electric oven (not a toast oven) in the states in september and then we shall have as many cornish pasties as we like

Comment

Originally posted by J.T
                              d00d..you are SO right. That's batter coated death. My friends and I call KFC "Yucky Bucket" ('o' chicken).
                              The last time I had that stuff my Mom fed it to me as one of those quick after work meals and both my brother and I who were little kids at the times got food poisoning x_X. I've never eaten it since (that and now I dont eat meat :X )

Comment

Working...
                              X