X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Japanese Census

I know the Census deadline is coming up soon. I haven't received my form yet and I am already registered with my local ward office. Is there a way to complete the form online?

If I were you, I'd go to ask the local ward office, foreign section . Deadline is this sunday 2nd. In my case, the guy who brought me the papers, came yesterday to take the forms. Bye

Comment

feck mine is sitting in the genkan....

dang and hell... maybe i will randomly fill it out without reading the questions.. feck up their statistics big time hehe

Comment

the lithuanian tactic

"Q: Since my Japanese visa has been expired for quite some time, is there anything in Japanese law that can force a foreigner to complete the Japanese Census?

Yep, you can be compelled to do the census, but they have to find you first.
        Japan’s Census Regulations clearly state, “Everyone living in Japan as of October 1 will be surveyed at their place of residence. Foreigners who live in Japan will also be covered, regardless of their nationality. “
        [110月1日現在、日本国内に普段住んでいる全ての人を Aその普 だんす ちょうさ にほん す段住んでいるところで調査します。このため、日本 に住んでい がいこくじん かた こくせき かんけい ちょうさ たいしょうる外国人の方も、国籍に関係なく調査の対象 となります。 ]

The problematic term that provides a slim possibility for an “out” from this law is kokumin, 国民【こくみん】 (n) national; people; citizen. Only Japanese people/citizens” are covered in the original Census law of 1947.

I don’t like the odds of winning such an argument, so I just “lose” my census form and only speak Lithuanian if a census guy catches me coming out my front door. ;-)"

http://legal.3yen.com/2005-09-15/can...panese-census/

Comment

Hey guys its just a count that is all. The guy comes and picks, different deadlines for different places. Nothing to worry about you get counted and that is it.
          Last edited by Blues; 2005-09-30, 08:46 PM.

Comment

Stand up and be counted

Originally posted by Blues
            Hey guys its just a count that is all. The guy comes and picks, different deadlines for different places. Nothing to worry about you get counted and that is it.
            Do I still count if my visa's expired?

The census guys don't talk to the immigration guys, right?

Comment

Census

Hey Guys,

Thanks, but I received mine later the same day that made my first post. A teacher helped me to complete the form. All is well. Thanks everyone. I hope they don't find out that I'm a weirdo! Ha! Ha! Just kidding!

Comment

It's a lot more personal than the ones I've done in oz. wanting details about where you work etc.

I almost felt guilty telling the missus I had only worked 9 hours in the last week.

Almost.

Comment

You might find this site very usefull.
                  www.stat.go.jp/english/data/kokusei/

Comment

There is an English version of the census, complete with detailed instructions on how to answer each question. You are supposed to use it as a guide to fill the Japanese version. I know because I filled it out. Unlike the Japanese version it is a plain black and white. Personally I love the question of the year you were born. Are there ANY people still alive who were born in the Meiji era? Anyway, I have no idea where the English version of the census came from as I came in to work one day and my boss handed me both the Japanese version and English version.

I agree that the census somewhat suspiciously requires a lot of personal details: name, date of birth, phone number, place of work, what work you do etc. Funnily enough, one of the things they are missing which always seem to appear in Western censuses is "religion". On the front it mentions something about a "Statistics Law" which means the results are prohibited to be used for anything but statistical purposes. Don't know how well that works in practise though...
                    Last edited by Thunder; 2005-10-01, 09:31 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Thunder
                      Are there ANY people still alive who were born in the Meiji era?
                      Actually there are over 20 000 people in Japan over 100 years old

Comment

Seems that gaijin are not the only ones suspicous of the census and its takers. This Japanese story shows how much trouble they've been having with the locals!

国勢調査>調査員が悲鳴 市民団体設置の苦情電話に相 談

1日実施の国勢調査で、苦情などを受け付けるため市 民団体が設置した電話に、自治体から調査票の配布や回収を委託された調査員からの相談が相次いで いる。「部屋にいるのに出てきてくれない」「調査を拒 否された」など住民の協力が得られないことへの不満が ほとんどだ。調査員からの相談は前回(00年)までは ほとんどなく、個人情報保護法施行やプライバシー意識の高まりなどによる調査環境の悪化を裏付ける「珍 現象」と言えそうだ。【臺宏士】

Comment

Working...
                        X