X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rugby World Cup 2011

Just read somewhere that former Prime Minister Yoshiro Mori was going to be used in Japan's bid to host the 2011 rugby world cup.

I don't know how advisable involving him would be though. Do the IRB know what an idiotic buffoon he is?

My guess is still that Japan will win the rights to host the world cup, solely as the IRB will want to expand the game's popularity in Asia.

NZ is too small to host such and event, and South Africa had the world cup in 1995, so Japan seems like an obvious choice.

Any rugby fans out there with anything to add on this topic?

The RWC is Japan's to lose, and only if they shoot themselves in the foot. The IRB can smell the money to be made in Asia, so it is a pretty sure bet.

Mori-san is a past player and big supporter, this is why he is behind it. A clown, but he does know rugby.

And did you know that Japan has more registered rugby players than any other country? And before the start of J League football, rugby was a bigger spectator sport here. So the base of rugby support is pretty large and they can build on it with the RWC.

Comment

Originally posted by J.T
      NZ is too small to host such and event, and South Africa had the world cup in 1995, so Japan seems like an obvious choice.
      NZ could have and should have hosted it jointly with Aus but admittedly we f%^ked things up on our end (well WE didnt the NZRFA did ). That would have been great.

I agree Japan is a good choice. The game has a decent following here and end time the Japanese team gets better (thanks to Kiwi and Aussie expots ). Not sure about this Mori thing though.
      Last edited by JayJay; 2005-10-07, 05:19 PM.

Comment

Mori is the right man as far as his position goes, but he is an absolute buffoon. He'll have a translator with him though, so hopefully the translator can disguise Mori's stupidity.

Comment

Working...
        X