X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A new ban on US meat

Great, just when I thought I was going to be able to get some gyudon; some moron in NJ had to pack some meat with the backbone off to Japan.

Now there's rioting in the streets as people go around screaming "Soilent Green is people!" Oh wait, wrong movie.

There has to be some underlying reason. People in the US aren't falling over with vCJD so I guess it's fairly apparent that US meat is safe. Hmmm 300 million people and not one case of US contracted vCJD (vCJD is the human varient of BSE).

My girlfriend told me that the J-media is telling people that BSE can infect people with vCJD over time. I did some research on the net and found this to be total hogwash; the illness has a gestation period of around 5-14 months. Somehow, I think they got this confused with the mercury poisoning from sushi....denial denial.

Maybe the Japanese meat association is puting out all this disinformation in an insidious plot to prevent me from having my gyudon, dammit!

Originally posted by agnosto
    Great, just when I thought I was going to be able to get some gyudon; some moron in NJ had to pack some meat with the backbone off to Japan.

Now there's rioting in the streets as people go around screaming "Soilent Green is people!" Oh wait, wrong movie.

There has to be some underlying reason. People in the US aren't falling over with vCJD so I guess it's fairly apparent that US meat is safe. Hmmm 300 million people and not one case of US contracted vCJD (vCJD is the human varient of BSE).

My girlfriend told me that the J-media is telling people that BSE can infect people with vCJD over time. I did some research on the net and found this to be total hogwash; the illness has a gestation period of around 5-14 months. Somehow, I think they got this confused with the mercury poisoning from sushi....denial denial.

Maybe the Japanese meat association is puting out all this disinformation in an insidious plot to prevent me from having my gyudon, dammit!
    That's why aussie beef is so tasty...yummy!

Here we go again...Matsuya Gyudon stores will run out of beef again and close their famous gyudon sales for the second time...de ja vu?

Comment

Originally posted by Mandrake
      That's why aussie beef is so tasty...yummy!

Here we go again...Matsuya Gyudon stores will run out of beef again and close their famous gyudon sales for the second time...de ja vu?
      yeah, de ja vu.

Comment

I find it VERY interesting that Japan has actually had MORE infected cows than the US and Japanese farmers were feeding cows ground up bones and other parts from cows that had BSE.

The beef I personally stay away from is Japanese beef.

Comment

Who cares? Meat is murder anyway...

Comment

Originally posted by sankokujin
            Who cares? Meat is murder anyway...
            mmmmmm sweet, delicious, murder......mmmm homer like.

Comment

Money and Politics...

Don't know the truth here... but then who does???
              I would suspect that it has something to do with one group (probably Japanese) slapping the back of the group in control of the meat imports. Who knows who's legs were in the air. Or what currency was exchanged...

Either those in charge didn't get enough money or favors and now they're pulling the rug from under the US cow...

MOOOOOU!...

Comment

Yargh! Japanese beef has way to much fat...

What's that sir? You want what? You want a bit of meat with your beef fat...how ridiculous...look everyone and laugh at the stupid foreigner...ahahaha!

Comment

Originally posted by Mandrake
                  Yargh! Japanese beef has way to much fat...

What's that sir? You want what? You want a bit of meat with your beef fat...how ridiculous...look everyone and laugh at the stupid foreigner...ahahaha!
                  Yeah, even the cows are lazy and pampered. I wish I could be treated like one of those Kobi cows..beer and massages.

Comment

kobe beef

c'mon you guys where have u been buying your beef??kobe beef the best i've ever tasted a litlle too pricey though

Comment

Originally posted by honey
                      I find it VERY interesting that Japan has actually had MORE infected cows than the US and Japanese farmers were feeding cows ground up bones and other parts from cows that had BSE.

The beef I personally stay away from is Japanese beef.
                      Holy cow plop, honey! I had no idea... But sure enough, Japan has had 21(!) reported cases of BSE to the US's 1. (http://www.oie.int/eng/info/en_esbmonde.htm)

Silly me, I didn't even know the US had a ban on Japanese beef for 4 years! (http://www.cidrap.umn.edu/cidrap/con...c1205beef.html)

I must be going mad.
                      Last edited by aha yes; 2006-01-27, 08:46 AM. Reason: "no idea," not "know idea"

Comment

Originally posted by aha yes
                        Holy cow plop, honey! I had no idea... But sure enough, Japan has had 21(!) reported cases of BSE to the US's 1. (http://www.oie.int/eng/info/en_esbmonde.htm)

Silly me, I didn't even know the US had a ban on Japanese beef for 4 years! (http://www.cidrap.umn.edu/cidrap/con...c1205beef.html)

I must be going mad.

Yep but they like to point fingers at everybody else so they don't look as bad.

(not meant seariously)
                        I'd love to see one case of BSE crop up in Australia and see that the Japanese would do.

Comment

Aussie and NZ beef farmers are the ones laughing though, market share in Japan having risen considerably.

Agri-business banking is one of my employer's most profitable areas these days.

Comment

Isn't coastal salination and inland desertification a growing problem in Oz, though? I heard Australia will have a problem in the next 50 years supporting a population of more than a few million because of lack of fresh water resources. How will that affect agriculture?

Comment

Originally posted by sankokujin
                              Isn't coastal salination and inland desertification a growing problem in Oz, though? I heard Australia will have a problem in the next 50 years supporting a population of more than a few million because of lack of fresh water resources. How will that affect agriculture?
                              My schools sends a group to Perth every summer and they're always told that they can't take a shower everyday because of water restrictions. I'm really curious as to the reality of this claim because my first reaction is that it's a load o' crap.

Any Aussies from the Perth area care to enlighten me?

Comment

Working...
                              X