• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Housewifes collecting a fortune

Japanese housewives amassing secret fortunes
    Mon Feb 20, 9:37 AM ET
    (Yahoo News)

Nearly half of Japan's housewives keep money secret from their husbands and most of them doubt their spouses have any idea about it, a survey found, showing women's hold the purse strings here.
    About 46 percent of housewives said they had secret funds, with the sum averaging 2.41 million yen (20,000 dollars), according to a survey of 500 wives in salary-earning households by Sompo Japan DIY Life Insurance.
    The hidden savings seem to be accumulating with time, as the average sum was four million yen for housewives in their 50s, nearly three times as much as the 1.46 million yen for those in their 20s.
    On the other hand, 76 percent of the women believe their husbands keep no such secret money.
    Even those who suspect their husbands have funds they don't know about estimate the sum at a modest 364,000 yen.
    "After all, most wives believe their husbands have no secret assets and they have a grip on their family purse strings," the life insurer said.

I wonder what Paul H will have to say about this E.J.

Comment

..........the last gasp: a rainy day feeling...

It's not easy living in Japan.
      Tears fall like rain when lady fingers strike.
      Inhabiting the wallet of Paulh are those familiar striking lady fingers.
      The clouds of recognizable lady fingers will take away anyone's sunshine in Japan.

Many husbands use every mode of transportation from train to bike to hang glider to escape the familiar lady picking fingers.

Comment

Perhaps the average JP man (whoever he might be) isn't saving as much; however....

I know more than a few men who are in the position where at least some of their yearly earnings are NOT going to the wife. And it's not just the ones living abroad.

I know a few men who have some of their bonuses, etc. paid to them...to use as they see fit. Perhaps their bosses (or in a few cases, they are the boss) understand their predicament and want to give them some freedom. Not sure. Suffice it to say though, they have more than a little nestegg...if not spending it on others. I'm sure the majority of their money goes to the wife (maybe?), but certainly not all. I can't see some of the men I know being that...strapped for access to resources.

Comment

Savings

I have some questions in regards to this topic

what do they save for?

The Future?

Shopping?

Children?

Extra marital affairs?

I am quite perplexed by the domination of women when it comes to financial management in the family unit.

does this occur at all socio-economic levels here?

Glen Twenty
          Attached Files

Comment

Glen Twenty

Is that you in your avatar?

Comment

Japanese men don't control the family finances, and I wonder if it is just women taking advantage of their position.

Likewise, I have funds that my wife does not know about and probably won't until we decide to buy a property somewhere.

Comment

Originally posted by J.T
                Japanese men don't control the family finances, and I wonder if it is just women taking advantage of their position.

Likewise, I have funds that my wife does not know about and probably won't until we decide to buy a property somewhere.

i am not sure how that all happens. is this true for gaijin men married to japanese women?

i wouldnt be able to deal with that at all.

Comment

so upon further thought.

what i gather from gpot forums and hearsay that basically once you marry a japanese woman you get very little sex and then you have no money.

sounding pretty grim.

Comment

Originally posted by in.between
                    i am not sure how that all happens. is this true for gaijin men married to japanese women?

i wouldnt be able to deal with that at all.
                    Gaijin men tend not to go along with the whole wife handles the finances thing.

Those that do allow their wife to hold the wallet like Paul H does, suffer dearly for it.

Comment

Originally posted by Glen Twenty
                      I have some questions in regards to this topic

what do they save for?

The Future?

Shopping?

Children?

Extra marital affairs?

I am quite perplexed by the domination of women when it comes to financial management in the family unit.

does this occur at all socio-economic levels here?

Glen Twenty

My wife and I discussed this the other day. The rule of thumb is that you should have at least 6 months salary in liquid cash in emergencies. To give you an example if you were to be killed in an accident (or your wife) you would need to spend at least 2 million yen to put on a Buddhist funeral in japan. CASH. They wont hold on until you save up the money or borrow from a sarakin (loan shark)

My family is planning a move to Australia. Not only do you need full airfares, you need a place to live, rent and key money, enough money to live on for 2-3 months without working, money in case of hospitalisation. Need to buy a car.

I have children so I have school fees and university fees to think of (dont count on money magically appearing when they are 20, many middle class parents in the US can now not afford a college education for their kids). In Japan a degree for your kids will cost 5 or 6 million yen.

Children and education are obviously the biggest expenses. In Japan count on spending about $150,000 per child from the time they are born until they graduate from university in 24 years time.

Something Libertine doesnt know much about (yet).

Then you have to save up money for retirement. You might live another 20 years after you retire at 60. The only money you get is what you invest over your working life. IF you want to earn every year what you get now after you are 60 you will need something like over a million dollars invested to net your income in interest.
                      Last edited by paulh; 2006-02-26, 06:28 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by J.T
                        Gaijin men tend not to go along with the whole wife handles the finances thing.

Those that do allow their wife to hold the wallet like Paul H does, suffer dearly for it.
                        J.T.

Car is in my name

House in New Zealand is in joint names

Overseas pension is in joint names and my name.

yes life is a b-itch but Im not poor.

Wifey just makes sure all the bills get paid.

Comment

Originally posted by paulh
                          J.T.

Car is in my name

House in New Zealand is in joint names

Overseas pension is in joint names and my name.

yes life is a b-itch but Im not poor.

Wifey just makes sure all the bills get paid.
                          You're definitely not poor, that's for sure. I was referring to the amount of pocket money you get!

Comment

Originally posted by J.T
                            You're definitely not poor, that's for sure. I was referring to the amount of pocket money you get!

It went down to 10,000 yen a month last month. I have no classes and dont go out so much so theres nothing to spend it on except DVDs.

Got around that by raiding the cookie jar and privates.

Comment

Originally posted by paulh
                              It went down to 10,000 yen a month last month. I have no classes and dont go out so much so theres nothing to spend it on except DVDs.

Got around that by raiding the cookie jar and privates.
                              Paul r u saying your spending money is 10,000 but you can get secret money from privates ? Does your wife know about these classes ?

last night I met an indian guy whio got truly screwed by his wife , he got 10,000 like you and then raided his account took all the cash and tried to spring the "sign this love " its for your passport ,or really divorce papers.He managed not to sign but she still kicked him out in december when he had nowhere to go and no cash

be careful out there !!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X