X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Japan finally gets a medal

Congratulations are in order for Ms. Arakawa on her gold medal in figure skating.

Now we just have to survive the 3-4 months of bragadocious Japanese media....and the countless replayings of her victory; god help us all in this hour of crisis.

All right!!! About time!

Comment

Good for Arakawa. What a smooth program. I didn't really care who won once Michelle Kwan withdrew... I have a soft spot for Sasha Cohen but it's no surprise she fcuked up when it mattered. She usually does.

The media can play it up all they want. It is, after all, Japan's only medal this year (almost big loss of face to the world and um...China and Korea, who already had golds ), and it's Japan's first ever gold in the expressive sport of figure skating. At least people will shut up about Miki Ando and her quadruple jump. Arakawa just showed that a precocious kid with good technical skill is only halfway there.

The guys beside me in the office just keep saying, "Yokatta, yokatta" over and over. I don't think they know or care jack____ about skating, but they'll take what they can get. They'd be saying the same if Japan had won in curling.

Comment

Originally posted by agnosto
        Now we just have to survive the 3-4 months of bragadocious Japanese media....and the countless replayings of her victory; god help us all in this hour of crisis.
        Try the next 4 years...

Comment

Expect a statue to be erected somewhere.

Comment

Originally posted by aha yes
            The media can play it up all they want. It is, after all, Japan's only medal this year
            Not that I give 2 sh'ts for the Olympics, and congrats to her for winning, but doesn't it seem so Japanese to whoop it up when someone pulls thru at the last minute, giving them an excuse to ignore the disastrous first 11 days?

Comment

Originally posted by Nonbe
              Try the next 4 years...
              That's nothing! The English are still bragging about how they hammered the krauts in '66.

(Appropriately in a way, as three of them played for the Hammers.)

Soba

Comment

Congrats to Arakawa

Congrats to her

She did it when it mattered while the pre-hyped rivals floundered and blew it. I always like it when that kind of thing happens in sport, whatever the nationalities involved.

Plus, she was so much sexier than the other two medalists (although granted I have more than a touch of yellow fever these days) and so modest in victory. And I so love modesty in pro sports cuz it is a rapidly diminishing quality these days...

...Usually, winners of things like this punch the air with clenched fists and whoop and yell, before mouthing off in TV interviews about "how I knew I was gonna do it cuz mom and my trainer have told me I am the best since I was 3 and hey, have you got any more gum I can chew in this obnoxious way?."

So let Japan enjoy her victory and give credit where it's due!

Comment

I watched a some of the figure skating previews last night. I preferred the other chick, I think her name was or something. Not that I'm an expert on figure skating, but she kind of looked cool.

Comment

Originally posted by Nanbanjin
                    I watched a some of the figure skating previews last night. I preferred the other chick, I think her name was or something. Not that I'm an expert on figure skating, but she kind of looked cool.
                    Yeah, but something about Arakawa's face is just so....foxy! And she's pretty tall as well, taller than the othe rtwo medallists (although Sasha Cohen is a short arse by anyone's standards).

Actually, Arakawa has that firmer jaw line and narrower eyes look which always reminds me of Koreans (and which I'd take anyday over that pudgy, round, moon-faced look that so many Japanese have).

Her eyes betray a naughty side that some lucky guy is gonna discover someday

Comment

Figure skating and sign language are the two things in life I have irrational fears of.
                      Something completely demonic about the both of them.

Comment

Originally posted by sankokujin
                        Congrats to her

So let Japan enjoy her victory and give credit where it's due!
                        Problem isn't that they'll enjoy it - it's that they'll use it to deflect attention from the fact that their Olympics were a disaster.

Let's face it - even for those of us who know little and care less about figure skating or the Olympics, she accomplished something that (as far as I know) no non-whitey has ever done, in a sport renowned for its prejudiced, nationalistic 'judging' and backroom deals, during its greatest showcase, against heavily hyped competition. She deserves every ounce of credit she's gonna get. But we all know that won't be the spin that's put on it, more likely the media types (esp. NHK, which has lost a bundle on the Olympics) will try to use her to recoup their losses, and will be able to paint this Olympics as successful for Japan, even though on balance it was so disastrous that they even made Canada look good. (Now that's scary...) So I'm guessing the overkill on this girl will be worse than even the Japanese media usually conjures up. Get ready for all Arakawa, all the time.

Comment

Originally posted by sankokujin
                          Congrats to her

She did it when it mattered while the pre-hyped rivals floundered and blew it. I always like it when that kind of thing happens in sport, whatever the nationalities involved....

And I so love modesty in pro sports cuz it is a rapidly diminishing quality these days...
                          Not to take anything away form her victory but rather to add to it, only in Japan was there undeserved hype, where Ando was illogically the young national hopeful. Internationally, Arakawa was picked as a fav along with her rivals Cohen and Slutskaya. She's a mature skater with a World Championship title. There was nothing here as dramatic as the last couple of Olympics when flash-in-the-pan skaters upset the first tier then dropped off the map... After the short program, when the top three spots were all within a few tenths of a point, it was anybody's game, and Arakawa stayed calm and on her feet while the other two choked.

The rest of the Games aside, I'm a women's figure skating addict. I go see them live when I can. Part of it probably has to do with legs and short skirts...but it really is a beautiful sport when done well. I used to get chills watching Michelle Kwan in her prime, and there's not much to be said about her looks.

BTW Re: modesty in pro sports, competitive figure skating is not a pro sport. But I know what you mean, and Michelle Kwan was also endearingly modest in victory.

Comment

I'm not a big follower of figure skating. Infact the last time I had any interest in it was when I was a kid being forced to watch Torvil and Dean swirl around to that "Bolero" tune.

But I really have to say she was great!! And my god is she fit. Let's hope that this triggers a series of scantily-clad endorsements in mens magazines.... featuring her I mean....not Torvil and Dean.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacque_S
                              But we all know that won't be the spin that's put on it, more likely the media types (esp. NHK, which has lost a bundle on the Olympics) will try to use her to recoup their losses, and will be able to paint this Olympics as successful for Japan, even though on balance it was so disastrous that they even made Canada look good. (Now that's scary...)
                              HEY! We're in FIFTH PLACE in the medal standings, with as many medals as Russia! Mind you, all that matters to must Canucks is how the men's hockey team did, and as those overpaid, malingering spoiled brats we call NHLers managed to bung it up again, there will indeed be no joy in Mudville.

Speaking of hockey and media obsessions, Canadians still go on about the Paul Henderson goal that won us the Canada-Soviet Summit Series back in 1972. Mind you, these are mostly Toronto Maple Leafs fans who have had nothing to cheer about since 1967.

Kudos to Arakawa-san for sticking it to the Russkies!

Comment

Working...
                              X