X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• English English-language newspapers available in Japan

There are three daily English-language newspapers published Japan: The Japan Times, The Herald/Asahi Shimbun and The Daily Yomiuri (no specific order). Have I missed any? Anyway, I would like to know what you think of English-language newspapers available here in Japan.
    I am disappointed with the English-language newspaper available, and comparing them with what I was able to read overseas does not help. The only thing that keeps me getting any one of them is the long train rides I endure each morning. Once at work, I check the Internet for a lot more articles, especially written overseas.
    Last year, we saw Mainichi's English-language newspaper abandon the race, and Asahi Evening News join forces with The Herald Tribune. Despite the three existing papers, I would hate to see English-language newspapers become extinct (notice how advertisements are becoming less and less? Or is this just me?)
    How does the papers compare with what you are familar with from home? What's missing? Is everyone satisfied? Why or why not?
    Let's discuss.

KawBoy

Re: English English-language newspapers available in Japan

Gotta say, I'm pretty happy with the Daily Yomiuri. 5 days a week there are excerpts from award-winning papers in the US and Britain. I've now moved 3 times and they've always gotten my paper to me on the last day of the old address/first day of the new address. It's also a lot cheaper than the Japan Times, either by subscription or single copy price. My only complaint is that they keep printing articles about teaching English- not that this is bad, but content of these articles seems to get repeated frequently, i.e., a lot of stuff about teaching English in elementary schools. I personally know very little about the other papers, but a couple of friends feel that the Yomiuri's writing is of better quality than the Japan Times.

MJM

Comment

To KAWBOY - The Village of 100 people

Hi Kawboy, I remember in a recent post you were asking about the Village of 100 people. Here is the latest on it.

THE WHOLE WORLD AS 100 PEOPLE

It has now been translated into Japanese by Kayoko Ikeda, published by Magazine House, however she has re-written it to make it "feel better".

It was originally written by environmentalist Donella Meadows, in a newspaper column on the global division and consumption of resources, using a village of 1,000 to represent the world's population of 6 billion.

If we could shrink the earth's population to a village of
      precisely 100 people, with all the existing human ratios
      remaining the same, it would look like this:
      There would be
      57 Asians
      21 Europeans
      14 from the Western Hemisphere (North and South America)
      8 Africans
      52 would be female
      48 would be male
      70 would be non-white
      70 would be non-Christian
      89 would be heterosexual
      59% of the wealth would be in the hands of only 6 people, and all
      6 would be citizens of the United States
      80 would live in sub-standard housing
      70 would be unable to read
      50 would suffer from malnutrition
      1 would be near death, 1 near birth
      1 would have a college education
      1 would own a computer

When one considers our world from such a compressed
      perspective, the need for both acceptance and understanding
      becomes glaringly apparent.

Another interesting book is Japan's underground economy, by Takashi Kadokura, published by Kodansha Plus Alpha Shinsho, with statistics on theft, prostitution, yakuza, drugs, etc.

Trip Hop

Comment

Re: To KAWBOY - The Village of 100 people

TH, thank you very much.
        "When one considers our world from such a compressed
        perspective, the need for both acceptance and understanding
        becomes glaringly apparent. " -Let's pass the word around!

KawBoy

Comment

100 people

The 100 people book is wrong about many things including wealth, substandard housing and sexuality. It plays to a guilty western mindset.

Comment

So I did some research and...

>59% of the wealth would be in the hands of only 6 people, and all
            >6 would be citizens of the United States

This statement gives a distorted impression: It should simply say; 6 US citizens account for 56% of the worlds wealth.

From infoplease.com: 364 million compters in use worldwide or 6% (6 people).

Homosexuaity is around 1% from both common sense and research

http://www.familyresearchinst.org/FRI_AIM_Talk.html

I also doubt the malnutrition fand substandard housing figures.

This book is designed to make you feel guilty. Dont believe everything you read.

Dark Angel

Comment

and all i was asking about was English newspapers.... (ToT)
              but thanks for the update....

Comment

Working...
              X