Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beckham vs koizumi

God came to Japan today.

Missed it? Look at any TV show or paper in the morning and you'll see His picture everywhere.

For me, I am much too young to remember the Beatles coming to Japan. Also, and surprisingly for many perhaps, I probably have far less knowledge of the Beatles than the average Japanese person in spite of my being English.

(for those who don't know - The Beatles may have been famous but 'were' and 'are' are very different on the English music scene - yesterday and today rarely meet (Stones notwithstanding)).

However, I am old enough to remember, know about and have watched many many times the (ex?) Manchester United footballer David Beckham. Probably more-so than many mere Beckham fans / sheople currently following his every move and spoken word, sock colour change and facial expression whilst in Japan. Being from the area and very very 'up' on the knowledge of the team this is a point not worth debating with me.

My questions - hopefully to be answered though are simple:

Why is a player of football, handsome though he is, treated like a living god by the Japanese perhaps more-so than by the English?

And, no cynicism intended - does anyone agree with me that if, just if, David 'God' Beckham were to be in a Prime Minister's election today (with direct votes from normal Japanese - like in the US) he would win easily? No doubt, hands down, landslide etc etc etc.

In that possibility lies an indication about many of society's problems in Japan in 2003.

Beckham is a wonderful footballer and he will be sorely missed by Manchester United and appreciated by his new fans (football fans) but to elevate him to God status is bizarre and could I fear, to this extent, only happen here.

MB
    http://circle.excite.co.jp/club.asp?cid=e0501179

Re: Beckham vs koizumi

MB
    As i m sure you know Japan is a country that osmotically thrives and subsists in its subserviency to celebrity. Beckham and Japan are a marraige made in heaven via Leytonstone, Old Trafford and, now, the Bernabeu. Manufactured celebrity meets the manufacturer of celebrity, this is the real Japan inc. The god-like status is an inevitable consequence. By way of a personal anecdote i will never forget standing high in the stadium at Niigata for the Denmark game last summer and as Beckhams face appeared on the score board being dazzled by the flash bulbs and shrill cries of the spectators. At that point i thought that there is a major sickness in this society that requires immediate treatment. Scenes of screaming fans at the airport today just confirmed my fear that the doctor has not yet made his housecall.
    As for your Koizumi vs Beckham debate I agree completely. The Lion vs the man with 3 lions on his shirt. Not even on a level playing field....
    SOCCERMAD

Comment

Sure, Beckham might win an hypothetical election over Koizumi, but don't delude yourself into thinking that the combination of celebrity worship and lack of political awareness are uniquely Japanese problems. Americans twice voted a popular actor, Ronald Reagan, into their highest office despite the obvious fact that he was a moron. Sonny Bono was elected to Congress and Jesse 'the body' Ventura was able to become Governor of Minnesota. This sort of stuff happens everywhere. People are too stupid not to be impressed by bright shiny public figures who exude confidence, regardless of how incredibly innapropriate they may be to the job.

Comment

and arnold schwarzenegger vs. rob reiner might be the next two candidates for governor of california.

a sickness in society, perhaps, but it is universal. i vaguely recall michael jackson dangling that infant over his balcony, and all the screaming fans. was this in europe? anyone waiting outside his hotel should be shot. or the diana worship, the jfk jr. worship. hardly a "japanese" monopoly on this.

and when all those screaming japanese girls realize they're not going to get him in their futons they might have to settle for the likes of you.

Comment

This is another proof that Japanese girls have no brain in their heads. I was really shocked to see them shouting, crying or giggling about his visit here, waiting the whole night for his arrival and falling in hystery because they missed him.

Comment

my japanese friend (female) said that he is handsome but she thinks that he has no brains LOL...

btw, i can't understand why he is that famous... his looks is just average and i think he is pretty arrogant...

Comment

"another proof" of the mystery of your "hystery"

or the history of the hymen?

ah, the irony, the self-fulfilling prophecy of your wicked rhetoric

speaking of hymens, go to:

http://www.hymen.ca/

wow!

Comment

Soccermad - marvellous analytical skills there.

Now you mention the Denmark game - a similar reaction occured in Kobe before the Cameroon friendly (just before WC).

Packed stadium - DB not playing so he could be ready for Sweden et al and hordes of Japanese fans screaming for him before the game were made happy by his brief warming up appearance and then paid absolutely no attention to the game. Many even heading off into the shade under the stands before God reappeared at half-time to give them all completion / absolution. Some then left!

Bizarre considering the tickets were far from cheap for a friendly.

MB

Comment

Real Madrid for becks.....

For Man U....

The King is dead... Long live the King...

He isn't really that great a player he is a brand... Man U won't suffer without him.... except maybe in shirt sales....

Comment

Beckham's remarkable diplomatic skills will continue to draw reaction long after the sinewy athleticism of Koizumi has deteriorated.

Comment

According to surveys made in my classes today 8 out of 10 Japanese 2nd year univ students describe Beckham as 'sophisticated' AND 'intelligent'. 'Oi Ref that has got to be worth at least a yellow?'
                      Does this sum the true state of Japanese tertiary education? What chance for Koizumi's reforms I wonder.......
                      And by the way, they preferred the barnet a la World Cup 2002 over the current heir apparent.

SOCCERMAD

Comment

I think Becky has brains! He seems to be a good captain of the team.

but MB you are very right there are some social problems brewing here in Japan.
                        Remember that silly ecc comercial where the blonde guy claims "I Love you" or something after chasing the girl?

Someday Japan will have to reconstruct their own constructive self-image or concede to being a western colony.

Comment

I think Becky has brains! He seems to be a good captain of the team.

but MB you are very right there are some social problems brewing here in Japan.
                          Remember that silly ecc comercial where the blonde guy claims "I Love you" or something after chasing the girl?

Someday Japan will have to reconstruct their own constructive self-image or concede to being a western colony.

Comment

Working...
                          X